Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

2 hours ago, BearDawg said:

Seems Graham’s head coach is a bit over confident of a win Saturday. Was overhead at the region d coaches meeting today saying he has hotel booked in appo and was asking about places too eat. Then, during the meeting, asks coach turner what the win streak is at the Park. Travis tells him that’s not really what they are there for. He then proceeds to tell him he knows the streak number and tells Travis. 

Sounds like he’s worried and trying to play head games with Travis. Barking up the wrong tree I’m afraid. Just managed to embarrass himself. 

Will only be embarrassing if they lose Saturday, if they win he looks like Bear Bryant lol

1 minute ago, trumpet1988 said:

To acknowledge that it happened is not wrong. Kids of 14-18 ought to know better than some of what was seen. If Union players were behaving that way at any point then people would be calling them out. When I acted like a knucklehead as a kid, I got called out. 

It has nothing to do with Saturday's game.

1 minute ago, futbolking said:

It has nothing to do with Saturday's game.

Fair point. I don’t think about that incident all the time. But it is understandable if people call them out 

Acknowledging the incident is not the same as bashing. They are kids but s lot of people, including myself, think they should know better. 

There have been incidents with Graham that have made Union people a bit ticked. 

From the sounds of what you are saying, it seems as if it has been addressed. 

6 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

Fair point. I don’t think about that incident all the time. But it is understandable if people call them out 

Acknowledging the incident is not the same as bashing. They are kids but s lot of people, including myself, think they should know better. 

Sounds like union is perfect and has never said or done anything wrong. My hat is off to them if so.

30 minutes ago, futbolking said:

As an adult in the situation, you are no better to perpetuate the situation on a message board.  They are kids, you are an adult 

I’m an adult talking to adults. Your the one who got up in his feelings man. It’s high school football. Enjoy it. I’m guessing you didn’t enjoy it much playing either. 

2 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

I think it has, I think those kids got caught up in the moment and the proximity of the crowd didn't help things.  Graham had a routine of coming out and doing a chant to get fired up.  It's not a common thing in SWVA, but very common in other parts of the state.  I think some of the opponents fans viewed it as being disrespectful.  It is just a way if getting motivated and fired up before the game.  I've only seen them do it a couple of times this year.  The "come get some" chant.  It's their way of getting fired up.  Some teams do a dog pile, some teams jump around. This is just Graham's thing.  I posted a video of what Oscar Smith does and that is just crazy.  

I do understand why some may have the opinion that Graham is un disciplined after that game.  But it is definitely not a reflection of who they are and how they usually conduct themselves.  I just think they were caught up in the moment.  Later in the game they got what they felt was a bad call in a crucial situation and sort of list their cool then too.  So, yes I do see your point.  

Just now, BearDawg said:

I’m an adult talking to adults. Your the one who got up in his feelings man. It’s high school football. Enjoy it. I’m guessing you didn’t enjoy it much playing either. 

I'll cry about it later.

2 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

Sounds like union is perfect and has never said or done anything wrong. My hat is off to them if so.

Union has made many mistakes, and trust me they've been called out on them. I went to school with the seniors on this team for 11 years. They aren't perfect, none of us are. But when the topic is brought up we can't act like it never happened or is irrelevant. Everything that happened in BSG that night was wrong. Just like it was wrong when a Union player flipped off a ridgeview fan this year. Just like it was wrong when Union football players shot off fireworks in the parking lot. (??)

Good Grief. 

Just now, futbolking said:

Then everybody should just shut up about it then, right?

No. It's a reasonable topic to discuss. It's why Union fans feel Graham is undisciplined. Just like I'm sure RV fans feel that way about Union, so on and so forth. But if it's been taken care of, that should be the response. 

41 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

I don’t know how they are on a regular basis but the ones who played for Graham in 2015 did not display a lot of discipline at Bullitt the last time they were there. It was repugnant to see some of those boys behaving in a way that embarrasses their community.

I mean this with all due respect to the Graham faithful.

I hope Palmer has addressed this since. 

As for the hearsay, I have my doubts about that myself. But if that’s true then Palmer has just made a serious mistake. 

Graham the last two years called teams out before the game and talked trash after big plays during the game - which I personally didn't mind to see, because as a player you can get under the opponents skin and get their focus off & plus it hypes you up to play that much more. & for fans it makes for a better atmosphere for the game when both crowds are getting into it because the opposing fans act like their boys are doing bible study in the locker room at halftime. 

That being said, the last two years the G-Men DID have discipline problems. Graham had some great players graduate the last two years but in my opinion they weren't the best leaders. I'm all for trying to intimidate the other team before the game and talking trash during the game but when you're (allegedly) taunting the fans/band/cheerleaders that's showing your focus isn't fully on the game and you're taking it too far. I never seen anything happen like that but I did have a problem with the 2 or 3 personal fouls it seemed that Graham would get every game because a few players would play like they were trying to get on SportsCenter's Top 10 plays and either come up with a taunting foul or late hit, etc. 

I've seen almost all of Graham's games this year and I can assure you the problems aren't there anymore. This season (before last week) I can only remember one personal foul and that's when Cam Allen made a big hit and dislodged the ball from a Marion receiver and stood over top of him a little too long. Last week I said there were a few dumb 15 yard penalties but when I watched the tape on it you could see why they were upset - a Grayson player unnecessarily earholed Mike Mason on a INT return at the 15 yard line when the the return only made it out of the end zone to the 1 yard line. It's still dumb to get the penalties but I could understand why you're upset and playing chippy after seeing your team mate motionless on the field and taken off on a gurney. 

Cooke, Workman, & Vineyard (among others) are the type of leaders you want on your team. They celebrate big plays but not at the expense of their team. Them being the leaders they have been is one of the  main reasons that Graham is where they're at now. In my opinion last year's team was more talented top to bottom but this year'a team plays like a TEAM for 48 minutes.

also - I doubt Tony said anything like that and if he did it would've been in a joking context. I'd bet my house that he doesn't have a hotel booked in Appomattox.. but it's smart to start that rumor. I understand why whoever did, did.   

1 minute ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

No. It's a reasonable topic to discuss. It's why Union fans feel Graham is undisciplined. Just like I'm sure RV fans feel that way about Union, so on and so forth. But if it's been taken care of, that should be the response. 

If you think so.  I don't feel like it has anything to do with this weekends game, but if that's what you want to focus on, go for it 

1 minute ago, futbolking said:

If you think so.  I don't feel like it has anything to do with this weekends game, but if that's what you want to focus on, go for it 

I, along with the rest of Unions fans, coaches, and players are focused on getting to the 2A semifinals. Which includes beating Graham. I'm sure Graham is the same way, But if this is a topic being discussed on a message board, why not jump in?

3 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Graham the last two years called teams out before the game and talked trash after big plays during the game - which I personally didn't mind to see, because as a player you can get under the opponents skin and get their focus off & plus it hypes you up to play that much more. & for fans it makes for a better atmosphere for the game when both crowds are getting into it because the opposing fans act like their boys are doing bible study in the locker room at halftime. 

That being said, the last two years the G-Men DID have discipline problems. Graham had some great players graduate the last two years but in my opinion they weren't the best leaders. I'm all for trying to intimidate the other team before the game and talking trash during the game but when you're (allegedly) taunting the fans/band/cheerleaders that's showing your focus isn't fully on the game and you're taking it too far. I never seen anything happen like that but I did have a problem with the 2 or 3 personal fouls it seemed that Graham would get every game because a few players would play like they were trying to get on SportsCenter's Top 10 plays and either come up with a taunting foul or late hit, etc. 

I've seen almost all of Graham's games this year and I can assure you the problems aren't there anymore. This season (before last week) I can only remember one personal foul and that's when Cam Allen made a big hit and dislodged the ball from a Marion receiver and stood over top of him a little too long. Last week I said there were a few dumb 15 yard penalties but when I watched the tape on it you could see why they were upset - a Grayson player unnecessarily earholed Mike Mason on a INT return at the 15 yard line when the the return only made it out of the end zone to the 1 yard line. It's still dumb to get the penalties but I could understand why you're upset and playing chippy after seeing your team mate motionless on the field and taken off on a gurney. 

Cooke, Workman, & Vineyard (among others) are the type of leaders you want on your team. They celebrate big plays but not at the expense of their team. Them being the leaders they have been is one of the  main reasons that Graham is where they're at now. In my opinion last year's team was more talented top to bottom but this year'a team plays like a TEAM for 48 minutes. 

Well said and I agree.

3 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

I, along with the rest of Unions fans, coaches, and players are focused on getting to the 2A semifinals. Which includes beating Graham. I'm sure Graham is the same way, But if this is a topic being discussed on a message board, why not jump in?

Sure.  Let's just hope for a well played hard fought game with good sportsmanship this time around.  May the best team win.  As I said before. If Union wins, I hope they bring the title back to region D where it belongs.  I do think it could be one whale of a game.  

1 hour ago, futbolking said:

Sure.  Let's just hope for a well played hard fought game with good sportsmanship this time around.  May the best team win.  As I said before. If Union wins, I hope they bring the title back to region D where it belongs.  I do think it could be one whale of a game.  

Oh it'll be a dandy. It wouldn't  surprise me if either team pulled it out. If Graham does win I plan to head to Glenvar/Appomattox to cheer them on. 

I REALLY hope I'm staying at the park one more week though. ?

13 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Oh it'll be a dandy. It would surprise me if either team pulled it out. If Graham does win I plan to head to Glenvar/Appomattox to cheer them on. 

I REALLY hope I'm staying at the park one more week though. ?

I'll probably head to Appo or Glenvar myself, regardless of outcome.  Pulling for Glenvar, so the trip will be shorter, but Appo is looking strong.

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

also - I doubt Tony said anything like that and if he did it would've been in a joking context. I'd bet my house that he doesn't have a hotel booked in Appomattox.. but it's smart to start that rumor. I understand why whoever did, did.   

Sounds like the coach came in and squared things up.  That's good stuff.  I was making conversation with the earlier comment.  May have been told to our boys to fire them up more lol.  Wasn't meant as a jab or cheap shot to the graham faithful or palmer.  I don't know that guy and have no ill feeling towards him.  Sounds like hes done an excellent job up there.  Kids will be kids just as every town has it's "idiot" fan or two.  Cant judge the whole by the actions of a few.  Looking forward to a good game Saturday.

11 hours ago, BearDawg said:

Seems Graham’s head coach is a bit over confident of a win Saturday. Was overhead at the region d coaches meeting today saying he has hotel booked in appo and was asking about places too eat. Then, during the meeting, asks coach turner what the win streak is at the Park. Travis tells him that’s not really what they are there for. He then proceeds to tell him he knows the streak number and tells Travis. 

Sounds like he’s worried and trying to play head games with Travis. Barking up the wrong tree I’m afraid. Just managed to embarrass himself. 

I smell a lie trying to stir the pot...I know better.  If you weren't in the room, you don't know the truth...just sayin'...

11 hours ago, BearDawg said:

But when they have history of flipping off our fans and talking trash to our band and cheerleaders, then what are people going to think. 

A history???  They've played TWICE...EVER...wouldn't exactly call that a "history"...and I'm sure your fans, cheerleaders, and band were perfect little angels and didn't do anything to instigate it, if indeed it did occur...

I thought it would be interesting to compare stats for all 4 common opponents. Not really sure that it indicates anything, but it's cool to see them side by side. Hope this chart makes sense. All stats compiled from BHC and the Richlands/Union game is from the playoffs. I figured that the Richlands that Graham saw more closely resembled the one Union saw in the playoffs due to the personnel changes.

Central Richlands Marion John Battle
  Graham Union Graham Union Graham Union Graham Union
First Downs 17 9 11 13 11 15 26 11
First Downs - Opp 9 4 17 8 16 13 15 9
Rushing 38-324 24-114 24-150 48-270 37-175 40-289 40-346 32-388
Rushing Allowed 38-170 30-25 40-175 27-98 37-194 37-225 35-148 31-227
Passing 6-8-0-83 10-13-0-103 9-13-0-143 1-6-1-18 9-15-0-61 0-0-0-0 11-21-0-131 4-8-0-45
Passing Allowed 1-5-1-4 2-4-0-15 16-32-0-91 7-16-1-111 6-18-1-57 6-17-2-47 12-19-1-156 7-13-2-75
Fumbles 0-0 0-0 2-2 2-1 3-0 0-0 1-0 1-0
Fumbles - Opp 1-1 0-1 1-0 2-1 3-2 4-2 5-5 2-2
Punts 2-35.5 2-26 4-39.5 3-27 ?-42.8 1-29 2-25 1-40
Punts - Opp 6-34.5 6-15 5-45.4 3-37 4-40 1-31 1-40 2-20
Halftime Score 28-7 38-0 6-3 6-0 20-7 42-7 28-7 43-14
Final Score 49-14 45-0 20-13 - OT 13-10 30-22 49-15 48-7 57-29