Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

1 hour ago, BearDawg said:

Wanna rethink that trash talk?  My guess is you couldn’t hear thunderstruck while the Bears were going across the field.

Tip rip of the cap the the sportsmanship by many from both teams. 

Congrats to Union on the win.  Good luck next week.

1 hour ago, T52OS said:

I’d have to say I’m glad , but graham speedster didn’t get the ball any. How does you big play guy never touch the ball?????

I agree with you to an extent. First off, Union was ready for Cooke and Graham's coaches knew that. Cooke isn't the only weapon they have, they have several other skilled players they needed to get evolved to win, but Union's D shut them all down. It's like Union, you always hear about Mitchell, but they have several other players that are stepping up & carrying the load that don't get much attention. Graham knew they couldn't win with just Cooke, so they tried other options and it didn't work. Union was the better team today & Graham's strategy didn't work. I don't fault Graham, and I praise Union. Both are great teams. Union was better today, and I hope they bring back the state title to Big Stone Gap/Appalachia!

14 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

over thrown cause 10 didn't have time to throw like he did on everyone else and yes Richlands is the 4-7 team you'll ever see.  I promise you that.  I'm calling it now,  Richlands will be a 10-0 team at the end of next season.  I'm union first but Richlands will be back full force next season, 2017 belongs to the bears. 

Thanks for the kind words, but I’m not sure it will happen lol. 

2 hours ago, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

Complete domination!!! Unions defense is legit best in the STATE IMO. They just showed it Graham is a high octane offense. Da U shut them down physically wasn't even fair.  Graham is a good team union shut them down.  Hope we can keep it up!!

Richlands is the best team you played  this year. What a rivalry this has become.Union is up 2 on us so we need to win 2 in 2018.GO BEARS. I hope to be there  and see how Appo players like the long long bus ride or the overnight stay here in the Great Southwest.

2 minutes ago, ojrussell said:

Richlands is the best team you played  this year. What a rivalry this has become.Union is up 2 on us so we need to win 2 in 2018.GO BEARS. I hope to be there  and see how Appo players like the long long bus ride or the overnight stay here in the Great Southwest.

So Lee traveled to Appo a few years back? They don't know what their about to witness then if that's the case 

6 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

I agree with you to an extent. First off, Union was ready for Cooke and Graham's coaches knew that. Cooke isn't the only weapon they have, they have several other skilled players they needed to get evolved to win, but Union's D shut them all down. It's like Union, you always hear about Mitchell, but they have several other players that are stepping up & carrying the load that don't get much attention. Graham knew they couldn't win with just Cooke, so they tried other options and it didn't work. Union was the better team today & Graham's strategy didn't work. I don't fault Graham, and I praise Union. Both are great teams, Union was better today, and I hope they bring back the state title to Big Stone Gap/Appalachia!

I agree.  Union took it to Graham in all phases.  Out coached, out played.  In Cookes defense, Graham's O coordinator effectively took him out of the game by putting him out wide and letting him be double teamed and have the sideline as a defender.  For Pete's sake, put him in motion or something, so he can't get bumped.  I think Graham was using him as a decoy or something.  If so, not smart.  They ran the same plays against Richland's in last seasons 3 Rd round game and it didn't work then either.  No adjustments either.   Just wish Graham would had a better showing.  They are a better team than what they showed today.  

Union showed up to play and executed a well orchestrated game plan, credit to them.  Grahams game plan was not good.  We have way too many offensive weapons to get shut out.  Live and learn I suppose. On to basketball.  Best of luck Union, bring the title back to region IV.

2 hours ago, CriticalNoise said:

Graham folks answer me this honestly and I'm asking because I haven't seen you all play until today. Obviously Graham is a great team only having 1 loss into today but did Graham play that bad, or was Union just that good? I'm not throwing any jabs, I'm just curious. Your going to have off games, I understand that by all means.

This was by far the worst game Graham has played, but Union had a lot to do with that.  I would say that Bluefield and Union would be a whale of game.  I wish Graham would have made a better showing.  Game plan for Graham sucked... But Union has a very good team.  

2 hours ago, CriticalNoise said:

Graham folks answer me this honestly and I'm asking because I haven't seen you all play until today. Obviously Graham is a great team only having 1 loss into today but did Graham play that bad, or was Union just that good? I'm not throwing any jabs, I'm just curious. Your going to have off games, I understand that by all means.

I’ve said it all season, Graham’s biggest problem is between the ears, and you could see glimpses of that against Giles, Marion, and Richlands, despite the wins.  Union played its best game of the season and is quite talented; Graham didn’t appear to have shown up ready.  Them’s the breaks.

18 minutes ago, futbolking said:

This was by far the worst game Graham has played, but Union had a lot to do with that.  I would say that Bluefield and Union would be a whale of game.  I wish Graham would have made a better showing.  Game plan for Graham sucked... But Union has a very good team.  

16 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’ve said it all season, Graham’s biggest problem is between the ears, and you could see glimpses of that against Giles, Marion, and Richlands, despite the wins.  Union played its best game of the season and is quite talented; Graham didn’t appear to have shown up ready.  Them’s the breaks.

Thanks for the replies fellas, appreciated. 

Would have never predicted this outcome with a 1000 guesses.

Congratulations to Graham on a great season. Hope the students and fans had safe travels home.

Wish we could borrow a few of your players for Appo next week. Allen was definitely the best scrambling QB we've faced. Enjoyed watching Vineyard on D.

51 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

over thrown cause 10 didn't have time to throw like he did on everyone else and yes Richlands is the 4-7 team you'll ever see.  I promise you that.  I'm calling it now,  Richlands will be a 10-0 team at the end of next season.  I'm union first but Richlands will be back full force next season, 2017 belongs to the bears. 

There should be an asterisk beside Richlands' 7 losses.  An absolutely brutal schedule masked a fine football team.

Union- twice-13 wins and counting

Blacksburg-12 wins

William Byrd-9 wins

Bluefield-13 wins and counting

Marion-9 wins

Graham-11 wins

3 hours ago, FBDevotee said:

I am not sure what to make of this game.  I was convinced that Graham would be the best team the Bears have faced but final score 37-0 does not match my assessment.  It is hard to predict performances of high school kids.  Bears were ready to play G-men not so much.

Band showed up late, Cheerleaders barely made it in time.  Team casually strolled out on the field.  Didn't feel right from the beginning.  Then Union proceeded to play with a purpose and Graham didn't resemble anything I had seen in the previous 12 contests.  

52 minutes ago, futbolking said:

You sir, have my respect. Great season for Graham. 

The INT early in third quarter really seemed to do G-Men in, at 17-0 Graham still had a shot. But once Union scored on the INT return, I think some of the Graham kids really got deflated. It's hard to score a lot on Union and 24 points in the third felt like the death knell. 

Graham did get Cooke in motion and in the slot after the break but the Union DL was creating havoc and really limited Allen's time to throw.

Gotta give Allen a lot of respect, the kid took a beating but he never quit. Vineyard looked like Graham's best player today but Allen was right behind him. 

Just now, EH31 said:

Union is pretty dragging good.. I'd say more but It's been a rough football day for me fellas. Trying to drown my sorrows lol 

Yeah, I was ecstatic and hoping I'd go 2-0 today and when I got home Bama started second half w purpose and took lead. But the execution was pitiful, didn't deserve to win. I'll take a split, and I'm not that devastated. I would've been more upset had Union lost and Bama won, I know a few of the Bear kids and I know they arent ready for basketball yet.

1 minute ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Wonder if Bama still makes the top 4? ?

If Ohio State beats Wisconsin, possibly. If not, afraid not. SEC winner, ACC winner, Oklahoma and Wisc. But if tOSU or TCU win, things get interesting and Bama hopefully gets in. 

tOSU would have B10 title but I don't believe a team that lost by literally 40 to Iowa deserves a spot in top four.

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Yeah, I was ecstatic and hoping I'd go 2-0 today and when I got home Bama started second half w purpose and took lead. But the execution was pitiful, didn't deserve to win. I'll take a split, and I'm not that devastated. I would've been more upset had Union lost and Bama won, I know a few of the Bear kids and I know they arent ready for basketball yet.

I knew auburns offense was built perfectly to beat bama but it's still miserable losing to the Barn eagles 

I am back in Roanoke. I didn’t expect that type at all. At the half, though Union had a firm lead, a comeback from Graham was very realistic. Union ended any hope of that on the pick 6. 

We left at 6 Minutes to go in the game. Union had put what seemed like the final nail in the coffin and made it 31-0. We had a 3 hour drive back to Roanoke and I was not fighting the traffic. Before I got out of Big Stone the Twitter feed informed me of the fumble return for TD. 

I really did like how Graham carried the police flag. 

Just now, EH31 said:

I knew auburns offense was built perfectly to beat bama but it's still miserable losing to the Barn eagles 

Agreed but still had chances and continuously kept shooting self in foot. Penalties (the false start on third and three inside the 20, becomes third and long, don't get it, botch FG attempt. Harris going offsides on punt although center should've been called for snap infraction, etc.. but I really do believe Johnson put the ball on the ground before his knee touched when he got hurt. It wasn't even reviewed and I was livid.) and mental mistakes killed us. If Bama executes and plays a good game, they win.