Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

I have a lotta respect for G-Men as well. People rumbled about the potential for a chippy game and nothing like that happened. Neither team did anything dirty or out of line from what I saw, both teams played a clean, hard game.

Coach Palmer did seem to have control of his team. You G Men have a keeper in that guy. He’ll get you a ring one day or close to it. 

Why don’t these two teams play in regular season?!

7 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

Coach Palmer did seem to have control of his team. You G Men have a keeper in that guy. He’ll get you a ring one day or close to it. 

Why don’t these two teams play in regular season?!

Palmer has the respect of his players for sure.  Graham has talent, they just need to take that next step and be ready for a big game like this one today.  I have faith that Tony will keep Graham playing at a high level.  Next year's team is returning a lot if talent, only losing 9 seniors.  Some good seniors, but we have some younger guys ready to step up.  Kids like him and want to play for him, that's the biggest part of the battle.  He is beloved in the Community as well.  Would be awesome for them to play in the regular season.  Graham has out of district games with Bluefield, Princeton, Giles and Forth Chiswell.. 

1 hour ago, ojrussell said:

Richlands is the best team you played  this year. What a rivalry this has become.Union is up 2 on us so we need to win 2 in 2018.GO BEARS. I hope to be there  and see how Appo players like the long long bus ride or the overnight stay here in the Great Southwest.

Remember when Richlands lost to Graham and Marion? I do 

1 minute ago, BigWinners said:

I like the fact these two teams don't play in regular season. Makes the playoff games that much bigger and more intriguing. 

Yes maybe we can do this again next season at Mitchell Stadium on the turf.  

And Richlands isn't best team I saw Union play. Their offense isn't very good at all, but have a lights out, top notch defense. Morristown West and Graham were two best teams I've saw Bears play this year, despite score today. Richlands was best 4-6 team I've ever seen by far, they likely win 7-8 games against an easier schedule.

Just now, futbolking said:

Yes maybe we can do this again next season at Mitchell Stadium on the turf.  

Union loses a lot of seniors and talent next season, unless it's an early round game I don't know if Bears will make a run like this next year. It's possible, there's def talent coming up but it's hard to be this good for three straight years, much less four. Union has lost three games in three years. That's an incredible stat. 13-0 this year, 11-2 in 2016 and 13-1 in 2015. Have to come back down to Earth sometime lol. It'd sure be nice to Cap of this run w a state title tho, these kids work incredibly hard and have stayed out of trouble, got grades, etc... I wanna see them rewarded. 

2 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Remember when Richlands lost to Graham and Marion? I do 

I do remember and not taking anything aways from Graham or Marion, they were better those games because they won! Union is just a rivalry for us. No History like Graham - Bluefield , or Richlands -Tazewell-. Richlands -Graham or Richlands Gate City  just Barn Burner Games.   I am trying to say that we have a new nemesis with the same intensity as our old nemesis  previously named.

I'm really shocked that Graham didn't try and get the ball into Cooke hands more often!! The Bears D played well today, I noticed a lot of great open field tackles made that cut down on some big runs from Graham. 

My opinion the Bears have the best front 7 in the last few years that I have seen. Not to shabby on offense either, Mitchell is a big playmaker and capable of changing the game on one play, but also Owens, and Jenkins have the break away speed to do the same. Zirkle has the down hill type running and always keeps those legs churning. Definitely a fun team to watch, and just imagine the possibilities in the passing game this team would have if Turner doesn't get injured! 

Going to be a fun Saturday next week, I hope everyone comes out to support the Bears!!@

I hate that Turner lost an entire season but I have to say the bears are running the ball at an unbelievable rate. I think it is the best offense for Union this season. Ground and pound eat the clock and control the ball.  It sucks that Turner went down and Mitchell didn't get to shine as a receiver but look what they have done running the ball.  I'm proud of how they have overcame and play as a solid unit

24 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Union loses a lot of seniors and talent next season, unless it's an early round game I don't know if Bears will make a run like this next year. It's possible, there's def talent coming up but it's hard to be this good for three straight years, much less four. Union has lost three games in three years. That's an incredible stat. 13-0 this year, 11-2 in 2016 and 13-1 in 2015. Have to come back down to Earth sometime lol. It'd sure be nice to Cap of this run w a state title tho, these kids work incredibly hard and have stayed out of trouble, got grades, etc... I wanna see them rewarded. 

I hope Union can win it all.

21 minutes ago, ojrussell said:

I do remember and not taking anything aways from Graham or Marion, they were better those games because they won! Union is just a rivalry for us. No History like Graham - Bluefield , or Richlands -Tazewell-. Richlands -Graham or Richlands Gate City  just Barn Burner Games.   I am trying to say that we have a new nemesis with the same intensity as our old nemesis  previously named.

But you clearly said to a Union poster "Richlands is the best team you played this year." 

That was my point. 

I agree with both posts above. Union was outstanding in open field today, only once did Allen or anyone slip loose for a big gain. Excellent tackling. 

And the Union offense is playing very well right now, the motions and shifts allow Union to change their looks and make a defense react on the fly. Owens, 17, broke a couple really long runs today, Cooke saved a TD on his longest by catching him at the ten. It was just like I said before the game lol. Union can get some 30-40 yard runs but it's hard to break off 80 yard TDs with that much speed in secondary. 

EDIT-I meant posts by UK and PV2VT, couple more posts got in before I hit reply.

3 minutes ago, ojrussell said:

Just check the  scores in our games with Union v Graham .

I don't have to. I already know that Richlands lost to Marion 22-18 and Richlands lost to Graham 20-13. 

Crazy how i can remember that, especially since Richlands has been playing basketball for 2 weeks. 

7 minutes ago, local_insight said:

Never been prouder to say GO BEARS (wont hear that often) all this Richlands this Richlands that. No excuse for the whooping y'all took tonight. 

Only Richlands being brought up is by the few Doran Bottomers that want to romanticize a 4-7 season. I get that there's not much to look forward to basketball wise in Richlands but that doesn't mean we can act like Richlands football deserves any more credit than they have already received.  

Stunned at the outcome today. I thought it would be a one score game that could go either way. Union just dominated both sides of the LOS, and as has been pointed out, tackled well in space. I really thought that barring turnovers, the game was over in the 2nd quarter after Union made it 14-0 on Mitchell's 5 yard run, and there were several Graham defenders with their hands on their hips and shaking their heads. Graham has some serious play makers, but its tough to get them the football when you're getting manhandled up front.

44 minutes ago, ojrussell said:

Just check the  scores in our games with Union v Graham .

Richlands has a strong rivalry with us. Both Union and Richlands step up to play against each other. Throw out the records. It’s one of those things. 

In Union’s first season Richlands should have won by about 3-4 TDs. But Union came to play and just about pulled off the upset. 

A little disappointed in james mitchell.. 

On defense when he jumped about 30 feet in the air and one handed that pass how come he didn't come down with the ball? Lol 

that was one of the more impressive things I've ever seen that'll never show in the box score 

4 minutes ago, EH31 said:

A little disappointed in james mitchell.. 

On defense when he jumped about 30 feet in the air and one handed that pass how come he didn't come down with the ball? Lol 

that was one of the more impressive things I've ever seen that'll never show in the box score 

A true D1 athlete would’ve gotten 31 feet up an came down with that pass, then returned it for a score while running on his hands and holding the ball with his feet?