Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

I am not sure what to make of this game.  I was convinced that Graham would be the best team the Bears have faced but final score 37-0 does not match my assessment.  It is hard to predict performances of high school kids.  Bears were ready to play G-men not so much.

That was a defeat from the dimensions of which no honor could be salvaged.  Graham played feckless, mentally weak football, and Union just gave ‘em an old fashioned woodshedding.  The team we played today will be a state champion with two more performances like that.

Give Appomattox Hell, Union, 1865-style.

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

That was a defeat from the dimensions of which no honor could be salvaged.  Graham played feckless, mentally weak football, and Union just gave ‘em an old fashioned woodshedding.  The team we played today will be a state champion with two more performances like that.

Give Appomattox Hell, Union, 1865-style.

Respect to you. 

Wow, just wow. I can't believe Union was able to dominate like this. Union won the LOS, didn't allow Allen (I hope he's okay, he got absolutely crushed on a couple plays) to scramble too much for big plays and didn't allow Graham to hit any big play TDs. 

Vineyard is a very good LB, he was Graham's best player today. Cooke was a non factor, I was surprised Graham didn't do more to get him the ball.

Graham folks answer me this honestly and I'm asking because I haven't seen you all play until today. Obviously Graham is a great team only having 1 loss into today but did Graham play that bad, or was Union just that good? I'm not throwing any jabs, I'm just curious. Your going to have off games, I understand that by all means.

4 hours ago, futbolking said:

Both of them?  Graham fans are out in force today.  Did you Union guys sleep in?

Wanna rethink that trash talk?  My guess is you couldn’t hear thunderstruck while the Bears were going across the field.

Tip rip of the cap the the sportsmanship by many from both teams. 

34 minutes ago, CriticalNoise said:

What you Graham folks think about unions fan base? 

P.S. according to the devil site preps, appo HATES noise

Unfortunately I’m afraid that the bears have ran out of no competition. The G-men were badly over rated. I’ve said all along the bears are one dimensional. I don’t think we can make enough noise to distract the raiders!

12 minutes ago, T52OS said:

Unfortunately I’m afraid that the bears have ran out of no competition. The G-men were badly over rated. I’ve said all along the bears are one dimensional. I don’t think we can make enough noise to distract the raiders!

Still no love but that is alright, that is why we play the game.   Next Saturday will be a lot of fun for those kids and the fans. 

1 minute ago, chumbucket said:

Still no love but that is alright, that is why we play the game.   Next Saturday will be a lot of fun for those kids and the fans. 

O yes it will be fun!! Go bears ? 

30 minutes ago, CriticalNoise said:

Graham folks answer me this honestly and I'm asking because I haven't seen you all play until today. Obviously Graham is a great team only having 1 loss into today but did Graham play that bad, or was Union just that good? I'm not throwing any jabs, I'm just curious. Your going to have off games, I understand that by all means.

I could be wrong about this, but based on what I've seen, Graham skated nearly untouched to a SWD championship based on their athletic talent. If I'm going to be honest, Marion and Richlands were the most fundamentally sound and strong teams in the SWD, which is why they gave the G-Men headaches, they just didn't have the horses to match up. Every time I saw Graham, they just looked like they were coasting, even when they couldn't afford to be coasting.

Union did a great job of preventing the big play, but there were some serious mismatches going into this one, mainly due to Graham's lack of physicality and dependence on having superior athletes at every skill position.

5 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

I could be wrong about this, but based on what I've seen, Graham skated nearly untouched to a SWD championship based on their athletic talent. If I'm going to be honest, Marion and Richlands were the most fundamentally sound and strong teams in the SWD, which is why they gave the G-Men headaches, they just didn't have the horses to match up. Every time I saw Graham, they just looked like they were coasting, even when they couldn't afford to be coasting.

Union did a great job of preventing the big play, but there were some serious mismatches going into this one, mainly due to Graham's lack of physicality and dependence on having superior athletes at every skill position.

I agree to that!!!

WTF, Graham is not or ever was overrated this season. That's disrespectful to Union & Graham to say that. Union beat the speediest offensive team in SWVA today, and impressively too. Yes, Union flat-out outplayed Graham on both sides of the ball, but that's just a testament to how skilled the players are & how well coached they are to shut down a fast Graham team. If Union plays the same way next week against Appomattox, they'll win the same way they did against Graham. No team that makes it this far is overrated.

9 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

WTF, Graham is not or ever was overrated this season. That's disrespectful to Union & Graham to say that. Union beat the speediest offensive team in SWVA today, and impressively too. Yes, Union flat-out outplayed Graham on both sides of the ball, but that's just a testament to how skilled the players are & how well coached they are to shut down a fast Graham team. If Union plays the same way next week against Appomattox, they'll win the same way they did against Graham. No team that makes it this far is overrated.

I’d have to say I’m glad , but graham speedster didn’t get the ball any. How does you big play guy never touch the ball?????

9 minutes ago, T52OS said:

I’d have to say I’m glad , but graham speedster didn’t get the ball any. How does you big play guy never touch the ball?????

Good defense trumps good offense every time--- You should know, with all of your predictions........

5 had the ball more than once for Graham on sweeps and short passes. The deep pass wasn't there cause unions d was all over the qb.  That's called solid pass d.  If you keep the qb from throwing deep then it's the same as solid coverage. Union dominated Graham point blank.  No body else in region d could do it but union did. 

3 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

5 had the ball more than once for Graham on sweeps and short passes. The deep pass wasn't there cause unions d was all over the qb.  That's called solid pass d.  If you keep the qb from throwing deep then it's the same as solid coverage. Union dominated Graham point blank.  No body else in region d could do it but union did. 

I said over the last week to several people that the difference would be the front 7 making sure Allen had no time. Graham hadn’t faced a D like that all year and it showed. 

2 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

5 was wide open twice deep QB over threw him . The tuffest team Bears have faced all season was Richland they finished 4-7

over thrown cause 10 didn't have time to throw like he did on everyone else and yes Richlands is the 4-7 team you'll ever see.  I promise you that.  I'm calling it now,  Richlands will be a 10-0 team at the end of next season.  I'm union first but Richlands will be back full force next season, 2017 belongs to the bears.