Region 2D Championship: Graham @ Union

Deleted Account

I have a little legal shine "if anyone needs to chill out" woooee, some are acting like they are suiting up SAT. Yes I agree some of the talk about what happened in the past needs to stay there....in the past. The kids will settle this come game day and "we adults "will have excuses of why our team lost. GRAHAM looks real good in the HUDL stuff i saw, fast fast fast, kinda reminds me of APPOMATTOX of last year, UNION will have their hands full

16 minutes ago, GMan said:

A history???  They've played TWICE...EVER...wouldn't exactly call that a "history"...and I'm sure your fans, cheerleaders, and band were perfect little angels and didn't do anything to instigate it, if indeed it did occur...

Someone miss their nap?  If they play twice and have issues twice, then that constitutes a history in my book. But maybe we read different books. That’s ok. Never said our kids were perfect. There was a kid on the 2015 team that was a turd. Some fans too. Prolly a band member or two and a cheerleader. That’s high school football in every town. I’m just having conversation guys. Don’t get twisted. It’s going to be a great game. I don’t care if Palmer booked a hotel or not. Don’t care if he asked Travis about the record at the Park. Union doesn’t either. Could it have been a fired up tactic? Sure. I brought it up because it’s a topic of interest to see what everyone’s thoughts were. I said I don’t know Palmer. Never bashed him. Even acknowledged that I sounds like he’s cleaned up discipline problems. 

Now changing gears. I don’t know anything of graham or it’s history. What is the story behind the g-man mascot name. Clintwood greeen wave came to be from a student winning a drawing contest (something like that). What is a g-man. Play on the letter G in graham?  Is it a consolidated school from smaller schools years and years ago like Wise county schools were?  Honest question. I love the history of football and the schools in Southwest Virginia. 

27 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I thought it would be interesting to compare stats for all 4 common opponents. Not really sure that it indicates anything, but it's cool to see them side by side. Hope this chart makes sense. All stats compiled from BHC and the Richlands/Union game is from the playoffs. I figured that the Richlands that Graham saw more closely resembled the one Union saw in the playoffs due to the personnel changes.

Central Richlands Marion John Battle
  Graham Union Graham Union Graham Union Graham Union
First Downs 17 9 11 13 11 15 26 11
First Downs - Opp 9 4 17 8 16 13 15 9
Rushing 38-324 24-114 24-150 48-270 37-175 40-289 40-346 32-388
Rushing Allowed 38-170 30-25 40-175 27-98 37-194 37-225 35-148 31-227
Passing 6-8-0-83 10-13-0-103 9-13-0-143 1-6-1-18 9-15-0-61 0-0-0-0 11-21-0-131 4-8-0-45
Passing Allowed 1-5-1-4 2-4-0-15 16-32-0-91 7-16-1-111 6-18-1-57 6-17-2-47 12-19-1-156 7-13-2-75
Fumbles 0-0 0-0 2-2 2-1 3-0 0-0 1-0 1-0
Fumbles - Opp 1-1 0-1 1-0 2-1 3-2 4-2 5-5 2-2
Punts 2-35.5 2-26 4-39.5 3-27 ?-42.8 1-29 2-25 1-40
Punts - Opp 6-34.5 6-15 5-45.4 3-37 4-40 1-31 1-40 2-20
Halftime Score 28-7 38-0 6-3 6-0 20-7 42-7 28-7 43-14
Final Score 49-14 45-0 20-13 - OT 13-10 30-22 49-15 48-7 57-29

This should be a good close game but I won't be surprised if 2+ score differential either.

This should be an absolutly fantastic game to watch and play in !!  Respect to both teams and fan bases for getting this far and I wish both sides all the best !  I hope things work out so I get to BSG to watch it,  but we have a lot of family coming in from out of town for Thanksgiving so I'm not sure. 

Safe travels to all going to and from the game and hope it's a safe game for the players with no injuries !  I will be pulling hard for which ever team wins to bring the championship back to SWVA ! 

GOOD LUCK and have a great game  !!!

7 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

This should be a good close game but I won't be surprised if 2+ score differential either.

Agreed. I think there is potential here to match the excitement, atmosphere, and great game that the 2015 Richlands/Union game was. One of the best I've ever seen.

8 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Someone miss their nap?  If they play twice and have issues twice, then that constitutes a history in my book. But maybe we read different books. That’s ok. Never said our kids were perfect. There was a kid on the 2015 team that was a turd. Some fans too. Prolly a band member or two and a cheerleader. That’s high school football in every town. I’m just having conversation guys. Don’t get twisted. It’s going to be a great game. I don’t care if Palmer booked a hotel or not. Don’t care if he asked Travis about the record at the Park. Union doesn’t either. Could it have been a fired up tactic? Sure. I brought it up because it’s a topic of interest to see what everyone’s thoughts were. I said I don’t know Palmer. Never bashed him. Even acknowledged that I sounds like he’s cleaned up discipline problems. 

Now changing gears. I don’t know anything of graham or it’s history. What is the story behind the g-man mascot name. Clintwood greeen wave came to be from a student winning a drawing contest (something like that). What is a g-man. Play on the letter G in graham?  Is it a consolidated school from smaller schools years and years ago like Wise county schools were?  Honest question. I love the history of football and the schools in Southwest Virginia. 

Ive heard the story on why they are the G-Men but it's been so long that I can't remember it all so I don't want to tell it wrong. 

Graham isn't a consolidated school, it's always been the high school for the town of Bluefield, VA. There was another school in Bluefield at one time, the African-American school,  called "Tazewell County High School" (the Warhawks) but that was before segregation. If you didn't know though, the town of Bluefield used to be named Graham until 1924 when they had a ceremony that people called "the marriage of the Bluefields" where Graham, VA changed their name to Bluefield, VA as sort of a parternship between the two border towns. 

48 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Ive heard the story on why they are the G-Men but it's been so long that I can't remember it all so I don't want to tell it wrong. 

Graham isn't a consolidated school, it's always been the high school for the town of Bluefield, VA. There was another school in Bluefield at one time, the African-American school,  called "Tazewell County High School" (the Warhawks) but that was before segregation. If you didn't know though, the town of Bluefield used to be named Graham until 1924 when they had a ceremony that people called "the marriage of the Bluefields" where Graham, VA changed their name to Bluefield, VA as sort of a parternship between the two border towns. 

That’s cool. If the story details come to light, please share. Sounds like the Bluefields are like the Bristols of VA/TN. Thanks for the info. 

14 hours ago, trumpet1988 said:

The final score of the last Union and Graham game was 49-20. 

I’m confident we were tied on the last play of the third quarter is what I’m saying, be it 28 or 21.  Cousin went down to injury and Union RUTS in the 4th.  I don’t exactly call a game where the underdog stands toe-to-toe with an undefeated team for 3/4 of the game to fade in the last 1/4 a “beatdown”.

13 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’m confident we were tied on the last play of the third quarter is what I’m saying, be it 28 or 21.  

Unless the box score is incorrect, 28-21 heading into the 4th. http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/union-knocks-graham-out-sets-up-bout-with-defending-a/article_0546a62a-900d-11e5-9515-8778f93758cd.html

27 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’m confident we were tied on the last play of the third quarter is what I’m saying, be it 28 or 21.  Cousin went down to injury and Union RUTS in the 4th.  I don’t exactly call a game where the underdog stands toe-to-toe with an undefeated team for 3/4 of the game to fade in the last 1/4 a “beatdown”.

Well no it wasn’t a beat down. But Union did pull away. 

No 17 made a long run and almost scored, but he was stripped of the ball by Raashaun Noaks around the 10, we got the ball scored then their QB gets tossed , wind kinda goes out of their sails. I think QB might have called the ref a name or two or cussed him

Jar head that’s exactly what happened. It was a close heated game.  #17 went out with a concussion and the QB was thrown and missed his first b-ball game because of the penalty.  Those kids are gone now.  

Looking at the stat sheet above I see one thing that stands out to me. Union's defense is tough. Among common opponents Union's d allowed less yards rushing with an avg of 143.75 ypg compared to Graham's 171.75 ypg. Passing yards against is in Union's favor with 62 ypg and Graham has 87 ypg. First downs allowed is in Union's favor too with 8.5 fdpg vs 14.25 fdpg for Graham. Offensively Union holds an edge in everything but passing yards per game and first downs (I contribute the first downs to Union playing on a short field in most situations in these games). First downs per game Union averaged 12 Graham 16.25. Rushing Yards averaged Union 265.25 Graham 248.75. Rushing attempts averaged per game Union 36 Graham 34.75. Rushing yards averaged per attempt Union 7.36 Graham 7.15. Average passing yards per game Union 41.5 Graham 104.5. Points averaged per game Union 41 Graham 36.75.

It looks like to me it will be a well matched up game with Union holding a slight edge in all but 2 stats among common opponents. With home field advantage I say my Bears win by a touchdown late in the 4th quarter.

I believe Jessee being healthy for Central against Graham kind of skewed the rushing numbers but interesting to look at nonetheless. 

Union fans - when Graham is on defense keep an eye on #29 Vineyard, he plays MLB. If you like watching good linebacker play you won't be disappointed. He's one of the best I can remember watching over the last 10 years. 

5 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Union fans - when Graham is on defense keep an eye on #29 Vineyard, he plays MLB. If you like watching good linebacker play you won't be disappointed. He's one of the best I can remember watching over the last 10 years. 

He's a heck of a player. I'll suggest for you Graham guys to check out our linebacker #45 Tanner Kennedy. Heck of a player and sometimes becomes the D coordinator. 

1 hour ago, G-star said:

Jar head that’s exactly what happened. It was a close heated game.  #17 went out with a concussion and the QB was thrown and missed his first b-ball game because of the penalty.  Those kids are gone now.  

Graham looks real good and fast,no need to put the other bs out there, it should be a great game

9 hours ago, BearDawg said:

https://stubbycurrence.com/tag/graham-g-men/

1 hour ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Just curious as to if the player who was injured last week for Graham is gonna be able to go or not?

Prayers for the young man either way.  Hate that part of the game.  All the hearsay talk and stats aside, everyone be safe in your travels to the Park.  Looking forward to meeting anyone that comes and hangs out with us before the game, regardless of what town your from or who you want to win.

29 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Prayers for the young man either way.  Hate that part of the game.  All the hearsay talk and stats aside, everyone be safe in your travels to the Park.  Looking forward to meeting anyone that comes and hangs out with us before the game, regardless of what town your from or who you want to win.

Agreed. Hope for some good weather and a fun time pregame. Of course a Union W will would top it off. 

It's only Wednesday morning. ?