Head Coach?

Golden_Tsunami

Speculation below. 

Luke Owens resigns from central. Greg tester (who’s son will be a freshmen at central next year) will be the new coach at Central. This isn’t a jab at anyone, just thinking out loud. 

Can’t blame Greg if that happened. His son is a solid ball player and fun to watch. I’m sure it’s hard to leave your home town where you played. But he would get to see his sons career. As a Dad, that’s an easy choice. Isn’t there consolidation talk for buch county?  Or is that heavy rumor?  Good luck on the HC search. 

It’s always a touchy subject. A lot of pride and history has to be let go of. Makes it very hard. Best of luck to yall if it happens pal. Don’t be a Lee county if it does lol. I work in Lee. It’s been 29 years since they consolidated and they still bicker with each other from former rival towns. 

I think that there would be a lot of bickering, but I think that it would be good all around because Hurley High and Grundy High are getting some age on them. Athletically speaking, you would have a hard time finding an empty seat, so you could bring a lot of revenue for upkeep and maintenance to the sports programs.

Guys, Coach Tester isn't going to Central. Yes, he has a son playing football in Wise county but he has a wife and a son in Hurley that plays sports in Hurley. Greg might or might not step down as coach at Hurley. but it isn't to replace Luke or anything else you might have heard, the only rea son he would step down is to be a parent to both kids. I'm sure he will make a decision soon if he is coming back for a 13th year. Greg has a lot of kids coming back next year off a playoff team because a majority of them were 9th and 10th starting with only 3 Seniors starting every game. The well ain't dry and it will be hard to walk away for any coach.

That’s a solid possibility. That’s why I said speculation at the beginning of my first post. I didn’t realize his youngest son was old enough to be playing yet. Either way, can’t blame him for making a Dad decision. 

That makes perfect sense, but if he should decide that he wants to step down to have more time to watch his son play ball at Central next year, the right thing to do would be to tell the football team soon, so they can get a guy in place that the team would rally around or a hey guys, I'll be back next year.

Whom ever takes over the coaching position, Central has serious talent on the rise. I foresee a changing of the guard in the near future. Going to put Central on the map! Take it to the bank. Coming for the U!!

The beginning of an epic rivalry. 

I'm not really interested in the Walmart Warriors. I'm only interested in the future of Hurley's athletics program. That was the reason for starting this thread. In addition, even though Big Winners and I haven't seen eye to eye in the past, I hope Union can win the state title this year.

2 hours ago, BearDawg said:

It’s always a touchy subject. A lot of pride and history has to be let go of. Makes it very hard. Best of luck to yall if it happens pal. Don’t be a Lee county if it does lol. I work in Lee. It’s been 29 years since they consolidated and they still bicker with each other from former rival towns. 

I hear ya!  At some point though the Bobcat-Bulldog parent/grandparents will be no more....it will fade away.  Even if the middle schools don't consolidate at least maybe they'll consolidate the sports programs.

2 hours ago, WalmartWarrior said:

Whom ever takes over the coaching position, Central has serious talent on the rise. I foresee a changing of the guard in the near future. Going to put Central on the map! Take it to the bank. Coming for the U!!

The beginning of an epic rivalry. 

Been hearing it for years, but what are your Black Friday specials

15 hours ago, Rebel_Yell said:

I'm not really interested in the Walmart Warriors. I'm only interested in the future of Hurley's athletics program. That was the reason for starting this thread. In addition, even though Big Winners and I haven't seen eye to eye in the past, I hope Union can win the state title this year.

WTF me? What'd I do? I have no idea who you are and know absolutely nothing about Hurley and very little about 1A football. 

Refer back to Nov 26, 2016 in a topic on Hurley's Schedule if you need a reminder, but anyway, the reason for this topic wasn't to let Central or Union fans hijack the thread. I apologize for mentioning your name. We didn't see things the same in that thread, I truly do hope that Union wins the state title this year. I'm only interested in Hurley's athletics only. If no one has any info on what the subject matter is that was stated in the opening, then let this topic fade away until something new occurs.

3 hours ago, Rebel_Yell said:

Refer back to Nov 26, 2016 in a topic on Hurley's Schedule if you need a reminder, but anyway, the reason for this topic wasn't to let Central or Union fans hijack the thread. I apologize for mentioning your name. We didn't see things the same in that thread, I truly do hope that Union wins the state title this year. I'm only interested in Hurley's athletics only. If no one has any info on what the subject matter is that was stated in the opening, then let this topic fade away until something new occurs.

Try topic.com out. I am sure you'll find what you're looking for there. 

It would be hard to replace Greg T. Hopefully these rumors are false, and if true, hopefully he has a change of heart and stays put. With all the political BS & that buddy buddy system Buchanan Co. is known for, the school board could very well hire the most unqualified candidate, cause their related to a schoolboard member or just knows the right person as HC!

8 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

You wonder why people dislike Great city but Hurley is a better job than there.

Respectfully, no one wonders why people hate Gate City. We are the 2nd best program of all time in SWVA\Bluefield and our fandom has an insufferable blend of arrogance and stupidity. 

I do not think that Mr. Simon is #1 this season because, by all accounts, the Beavers were loaded & faced no significant adversity. If I'm wrong, apologies. I do believe he is the area's 2nd best overall coach behind Mullins. 

Just now, Grapeape said:

Respectfully, no one wonders why people hate Gate City. We are the 2nd best program of all time in SWVA\Bluefield and our fandom has an insufferable blend of arrogance and stupidity. 

I do not that Mr. Simon is #1 this season because, by all accounts, the Beavers were loaded & faced no significant adversity. If I'm wrong, apologies. I do believe he is the area's 2nd best overall coach behind Mullins. 

Bluefield is #1 and Powell Valley is #2, and there’s really no debating that based strictly on the hardware.  There’s a good argument for #3 between Gate City, Giles, Appalachia, and Graham (sheer longevity).  I’d probably give the nod to Gate City, but it’s arguable.

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

Bluefield is #1 and Powell Valley is #2, and there’s really no debating that based strictly on the hardware.  There’s a good argument for #3 between Gate City, Giles, Appalachia, and Graham (sheer longevity).  I’d probably give the nod to Gate City, but it’s arguable.

How many titles does Bluefield have? I've never really kept up with them until the past few years