Head Coach?

Golden_Tsunami

2 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

While we do not agree a lot... or ever. I am with you on this. Those Hurley Rebel's bring the best out in us. 

Sorry to inform you but the Hurley Rebels have nothing to do with this topic. Someone is upset because someone didn't get to play enough, and they quit. End of story.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:47 PM, Dick_Vitale said:

While we do not agree a lot... or ever. I am with you on this. Those Hurley Rebel's bring the best out in us. 

Now now, we haven't went toe to toe in almost a year now, but hey!  It won't be long till Ridgeview and Central girls meet up on the hardwood.  Lol

• 1 month later...

12 hours ago, trublue said:

Galax Gazette Sports @GazetteSports24

Jack Turner, former head coach at Pulaski County and Auburn, most recently a Galax assistant, named head football coach at Carroll County

great state

56 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Definitely a great hire for Carroll if they want to improve their football teams.

From a conversation I had a few weeks ago with a longtime member of the Galax coaching staff, Carroll offered Turner the job quite a while ago.  Turner had a list of items that would need to be addressed before accepting the position.  Dedication to a system wide weight training program and supporting kids all across the county were main priorities on that list, meaning Carroll would have to dedicate activity buses to run more than just a few miles outside of the Hillsville town limits.  That's always been an issue in Carroll.  They have always been supportive of potential athletes as long as they live in or within a few miles of Hillsville.  Anyone living beyond were more likely to be given far greater support from neighboring school systems.  Some may get defensive over my statements.  However, butthurt usually stems from a deeper truth those involved aren't willing to admit.  I was one of those kids in 1988 when Fries closed and Carroll wouldn't allow me to play sports.  Not much has changed in that time.

I wish Turner well but nobody has ever been able to change the system for more than a year or two in Carroll.  They have had top quality coaches in years past, the Tom Hale years being a noted exception.  Mike Scharnus coached at Carroll in the late 80's and early 90's, taking them to the playoffs several times after a lengthy period of mediocrity prior to his tenure.  David Haynie followed Scharnus and was probably Carroll's most successful coach but was never given full support and left after a few seasons.  The most successful seasons in school history.

3 hours ago, Nrv_ football 52 said:

Any names being thrown around for the Hurley job 

There has been 4 applicants so far, 2 from Buchanan Co., 1 from Tazewell Co. and 1 from Pike Co. Ky. I'm not sure when the cutoff will be for applying for the job.

3 hours ago, yahrme said:
6 hours ago, Nrv_ football 52 said:

Any names being thrown around for the Hurley job 

There has been 4 applicants so far, 2 from Buchanan Co., 1 from Tazewell Co. and 1 from Pike Co. Ky. I'm not sure when the cutoff will be for applying for the job.

Greg Mance to Hurley confirmed!

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 4:29 PM, GusDaGuesser said:

I think it’s safe to say it wasn’t Palmer 

Doubt Tony would be leaving Graham 😂 yeah, I know you were being facetious. I look for Graham to have another strong season. Cam Allen was the best call Tony made last year even though some criticized him at first. 

• 3 months later...

• 4 weeks later...

An add to above...

Dave WallsVerified account @DaveWallsWSET

#BREAKING: Trevor Porter hired as head coach of @ACHSLancers football. 15 year veteran HS head coach, most recently in Jonesboro, GA, at Mandy’s Mill HS. @ABC13News @13Sports #ABC13FootballFriday

great state

Hmmm, I'm thinking I've never heard of Mandy's Mill...then realized it was  Mundy's Mill HS in GA
The former Amherst football coach , Cecil Phillips, stepped down from the ACHS position, to take an assistant coaching job in GA.

So, the former Amherst coach went to GA and the new Amherst coach came from GA...   :)

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:14 PM, trublue said:

NEW  FB COACHING HIRE 

Matthew Hatfield Retweeted

Bob Alvis @TheSportsBuffet

Amherst County has named Trevor Porter as their new Head Football coach. He succeeds Cecil Phillips

great state

According to posters on the VP site...Amherst County is looking for a new Head Football Coach...  AGAIN!!!   WOW...