Sign in to follow this  
Rebel_Yell

Head Coach?

67 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

This convo keeps getting better. Keep going!

Before we know it, he's going be talking about his car troubles, size shirt he wears, and about how much his power & TV bill was this month! Lol

2 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

While we do not agree a lot... or ever. I am with you on this. Those Hurley Rebel's bring the best out in us. 

Sorry to inform you but the Hurley Rebels have nothing to do with this topic. Someone is upset because someone didn't get to play enough, and they quit. End of story.

4 minutes ago, honestjohn said:

Sorry to inform you but the Hurley Rebels have nothing to do with this topic. Someone is upset because someone didn't get to play enough, and they quit. End of story.

Thanks honest john for your honesty. Seeing as you have Hurley roots, thanks for fueling the fire. 

On 11/22/2017 at 5:47 PM, Dick_Vitale said:

While we do not agree a lot... or ever. I am with you on this. Those Hurley Rebel's bring the best out in us. 

Now now, we haven't went toe to toe in almost a year now, but hey!  It won't be long till Ridgeview and Central girls meet up on the hardwood.  Lol

Galax Gazette Sports @GazetteSports24

Jack Turner, former head coach at Pulaski County and Auburn, most recently a Galax assistant, named head football coach at Carroll County

great state

12 hours ago, trublue said:

Galax Gazette Sports @GazetteSports24

Jack Turner, former head coach at Pulaski County and Auburn, most recently a Galax assistant, named head football coach at Carroll County

great state

56 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Definitely a great hire for Carroll if they want to improve their football teams.

From a conversation I had a few weeks ago with a longtime member of the Galax coaching staff, Carroll offered Turner the job quite a while ago.  Turner had a list of items that would need to be addressed before accepting the position.  Dedication to a system wide weight training program and supporting kids all across the county were main priorities on that list, meaning Carroll would have to dedicate activity buses to run more than just a few miles outside of the Hillsville town limits.  That's always been an issue in Carroll.  They have always been supportive of potential athletes as long as they live in or within a few miles of Hillsville.  Anyone living beyond were more likely to be given far greater support from neighboring school systems.  Some may get defensive over my statements.  However, butthurt usually stems from a deeper truth those involved aren't willing to admit.  I was one of those kids in 1988 when Fries closed and Carroll wouldn't allow me to play sports.  Not much has changed in that time.

I wish Turner well but nobody has ever been able to change the system for more than a year or two in Carroll.  They have had top quality coaches in years past, the Tom Hale years being a noted exception.  Mike Scharnus coached at Carroll in the late 80's and early 90's, taking them to the playoffs several times after a lengthy period of mediocrity prior to his tenure.  David Haynie followed Scharnus and was probably Carroll's most successful coach but was never given full support and left after a few seasons.  The most successful seasons in school history.

3 hours ago, Nrv_ football 52 said:

Any names being thrown around for the Hurley job 

There has been 4 applicants so far, 2 from Buchanan Co., 1 from Tazewell Co. and 1 from Pike Co. Ky. I'm not sure when the cutoff will be for applying for the job.

3 hours ago, yahrme said:
6 hours ago, Nrv_ football 52 said:

Any names being thrown around for the Hurley job 

There has been 4 applicants so far, 2 from Buchanan Co., 1 from Tazewell Co. and 1 from Pike Co. Ky. I'm not sure when the cutoff will be for applying for the job.

Greg Mance to Hurley confirmed!