2017 SWVA Coach of the Year

Grapeape

Mullins at Ridgeview should get some recognition, but Turner will probably get it. We will see what kind of coach Turner is when he doesn't have a D1 athlete to bail him out. Mance almost outcoached him in the first round of the playoffs, he is still the best coach in Southwest Virginia hands down.

32 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Mullins at Ridgeview should get some recognition, but Turner will probably get it. We will see what kind of coach Turner is when he doesn't have a D1 athlete to bail him out. Mance almost outcoached him in the first round of the playoffs, he is still the best coach in Southwest Virginia hands down.

As far as best coach in Southwest Virginia, I think Williams from Giles could give Mance a run for his money. Here is a guy to my knowledge doesnt get any transfers and is competitive year in and year out. I dont mean this as a slam towards Giles but Williams doesnt have the athletes that some of these other coaches have. Im not a fan of the single wing but he has found a way to make it work. He knows how to get the most from his kids and they seem to respond very well to him. 

4 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

As far as best coach in Southwest Virginia, I think Williams from Giles could give Mance a run for his money. Here is a guy to my knowledge doesnt get any transfers and is competitive year in and year out. I dont mean this as a slam towards Giles but Williams doesnt have the athletes that some of these other coaches have. Im not a fan of the single wing but he has found a way to make it work. He knows how to get the most from his kids and they seem to respond very well to him. 

We had a transfer this year thank god lol but we don't get many...I would put Williams in COY category this year simply because I know what we had and for him to get us to 9-3 with what we had is pretty darn good IMO

ANY of the coaches in the above would be deserving, you can look at RIDGEVIEW  and say MULLINS deserves it, or we could wait and see how the playoffs pan out.IF  Union or Graham makes it to the title game at SALEM that coach should get the nod, as well as ADAMS at BURTON if they make it 

12 hours ago, Suit Up said:

One could mention Tazewells head coach. They didn’t have a record year by any means, but with the ridiculous youth they had and the injuries they sustained on top of that, I don’t know that any of the aforementioned coaches could’ve done a better job.This is obviously a far fetched reach, but not unreasonable in my opinion.

Plus the fact that the players never gave up and played hard until the end.  They could have just as easily rolled over and not had anything to show for.  

12 hours ago, Suit Up said:

One could mention Tazewells head coach. They didn’t have a record year by any means, but with the ridiculous youth they had and the injuries they sustained on top of that, I don’t know that any of the aforementioned coaches could’ve done a better job.This is obviously a far fetched reach, but not unreasonable in my opinion.

Plus the fact that the players never gave up and played hard until the end.  They could have just as easily rolled over and not had anything to show for.  

I think that too many times the coach of the year is selected based on how far they go in the playoffs. No disrespect to any but the best teams usually go the farthest. Now a great team needs great leadership but there are some very good names thrown out here and their season has ended. Great discussion.

5 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

ANY of the coaches in the above would be deserving, you can look at RIDGEVIEW  and say MULLINS deserves it, or we could wait and see how the playoffs pan out.IF  Union or Graham makes it to the title game at SALEM that coach should get the nod, as well as ADAMS at BURTON if they make it 

I agree. The winner of this game should get it. Both Turner and Palmer are deserving. Both have done a great job in my view.

2 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Don't get me wrong here, Chilhowie is good, and I expect them to beat Burton. But they lost to Marion, Wythe and VA High.

Agree.  I think Jeff Robinson would need to upset the Narrows/Galax winner to warrant serious consideration.

9 minutes ago, honestjohn said:

That is 3 pretty good teams they lost to and two of them are 2A.

They are, and there is something to be said about about being able to take care of business, but if you look at their schedule, I don't think Chilhowie beat anyone that folks didn't predict they would beat in the preseason. Chilhowie's a pretty dang good 1A team, but I think most people knew that they would be, and the best item on Robinson's resume this year is that his team beat the teams that they should have. Again, there's something to be said about doing that for the entirety of a season, but I don't know if that's a coach of the year resume outside of the Hogo.

6 hours ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Don't get me wrong here, Chilhowie is good, and I expect them to beat Burton. But they lost to Marion, Wythe and VA High.

Must agree with IRISH-FAN 18. Chilhowie has an outstanding group of athletes and people saw this coming when they destroyed Abingdon, Gate City, Marion, George Wythe and everyone else they played under eighth grade head coach Matt Snodgrass. Problem is they couldn't beat anyone of equal talent this year. The Warriors are a big fish in a small pond in Region D as it is as weak as I can remember. Going into the playoffs very few people saw anyone staying within 28 points of them. Not taking anything away from Chilhowie just not any competition in Region D.

Contenders: Turner (Union), Mullins (Ridgeview), Lowe (Narrows), Johnson (Thomas Walker)

Honorable Mentions: Carroll (Marion), Stone (John Battle), Crist (Virginia High), Palmer (Patrick Henry), Harris (Tazewell)

I really think we need to consider Nick Johnson at Thomas Walker, he's the third head coach they've had in as many years and led them to the playoffs

15 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

Contenders: Turner (Union), Mullins (Ridgeview), Lowe (Narrows), Johnson (Thomas Walker)

Honorable Mentions: Carroll (Marion), Stone (John Battle), Crist (Virginia High), Palmer (Patrick Henry), Harris (Tazewell)

I really think we need to consider Nick Johnson at Thomas Walker, he's the third head coach they've had in as many years and led them to the playoffs

I'll agree with all except for Turner and before I get lynched let me explain why.  To me the winner should be someone who exceeded expectations.  Union was expected to be great.  Even with the QB loss there were enough there to keep them going.  The other three nobody in their right mind would have expected their results.  Even though I know nothing about TW, the statement above I think says it all.