2017 SWVA Coach of the Year

Grapeape

45 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I'll agree with all except for Turner and before I get lynched let me explain why.  To me the winner should be someone who exceeded expectations.  Union was expected to be great.  Even with the QB loss there were enough there to keep them going.  The other three nobody in their right mind would have expected their results.  Even though I know nothing about TW, the statement above I think says it all.

I agree that Union has high expectations but if not for the new Defensive Coordinator Union wouldn't be where they are. Since the formation of Union defense has been our weakness and now it is our strength. That's why I say Rhodes instead of Turner

I know this thread started as a halfway joke but there's been some good points brought up. Anybody wanna narrow it down to maybe 5 coaches and create a poll for people to vote? Maybe @Ryan4VT could talk some about it and read the winner on the podcast as SWVASports Coach of the Year  

IF we cant narrow it down to 5 coaches, how about we pick our fantasy coaching staff? I would go with Mance for head coach, Rhodes as D coordinator, Marion's offensive coordinator. I think they could put together a game plan that would be unstoppable.

HC: Nick Colobro 

OC: Stacey Carter

DC: Darren Reed

ST: Jeremy Houseright  

OL\DL: Barry Jones 

Quality Control: Graham Clark

I included NeTn coaches because they're within this site's "jurisdiction". If they coached at GC I would also demand that they be immediately fired. 

2 hours ago, Grapeape said:

HC: Nick Colobro 

OC: Stacey Carter

DC: Darren Reed

ST: Jeremy Houseright  

OL\DL: Barry Jones 

Quality Control: Graham Clark

I included NeTn coaches because they're within this site's "jurisdiction". If they coached at GC I would also demand that they be immediately fired. 

I don't see Tennessee High, DB, Science Hill or Directional Sullivan on the map.  Just sayin...   

If we're going to include northeast Tennessee I'll make some changes.  Head coach mance. 

OC Graham Clark or the head coach of Greenville 

DC Barry Jones (I played under him at pv.  He has forgot more about football than most men will ever know and he's one hell of a motivator.) 

Strength and line coach Luke Owens

11 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Contenders: Turner (Union), Mullins (Ridgeview), Lowe (Narrows), Johnson (Thomas Walker)

Honorable Mentions: Carroll (Marion), Stone (John Battle), Crist (Virginia High), Palmer (Patrick Henry), Harris (Tazewell)

I really think we need to consider Nick Johnson at Thomas Walker, he's the third head coach they've had in as many years and led them to the playoffs

I agree with this list and would add Graham's Tony Palmer as a contender.  

Just a question since we are talking about coach of the year. lets discuss this. Are you choosing because they won or the coaching jobs they did. How would Mance, Turner, Carrol do at lets say Rye Cove? I mean if they are great coaches would they have would 6? My thoughts of a great coach isn't necessary winning a bunch of games but putting a hard playing fundamentally sound team. I think there are many coaches at small schools that could win 7 or more at the bigger schools but could the coaches at the bigger sholls win at the small schools? Just food for thought

1 hour ago, swvafbrespect said:

Just a question since we are talking about coach of the year. lets discuss this. Are you choosing because they won or the coaching jobs they did. How would Mance, Turner, Carrol do at lets say Rye Cove? I mean if they are great coaches would they have would 6? My thoughts of a great coach isn't necessary winning a bunch of games but putting a hard playing fundamentally sound team. I think there are many coaches at small schools that could win 7 or more at the bigger schools but could the coaches at the bigger sholls win at the small schools? Just food for thought

I don’t care who the coach is, Rye Cove started the year with 19 bodies and were outmanned in most every game they played. The best anyone could realistically hope for would be winning a max of 4 games, regardless who was on the sidelines. If they won 6, it would be time to get out of the way and let ‘em tear down the goal posts.

Well to the point of being a coach at a small school compared to bigger schools and wins Vs loses let's look at the history books of swva football.  Coach Tom Turner for the Appalachia bulldogs was a 300 plus win coach with multiple state titles and probably never had half the talent on his sideline compared to the teams he faced.  Tom could take a hand full of boys from little coal camps and play Iron Man football and beat schools like gate city,  Powell Valley,  etc. And in years that teams like gate city and Powell Valley beat appy it was seldom a blow out.  If a coach like Tom Turner had the talent that rolled through Powell Valley and gate city he would have won 10 or state championships in my humble opinion.  I've seen mid 90s appy teams with 30 kids that could kick the crap out of just about any team today due to there sheer toughness and coach Tom turners ability to fire em up. 

40 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

Well to the point of being a coach at a small school compared to bigger schools and wins Vs loses let's look at the history books of swva football.  Coach Tom Turner for the Appalachia bulldogs was a 300 plus win coach with multiple state titles and probably never had half the talent on his sideline compared to the teams he faced.  Tom could take a hand full of boys from little coal camps and play Iron Man football and beat schools like gate city,  Powell Valley,  etc. And in years that teams like gate city and Powell Valley beat appy it was seldom a blow out.  If a coach like Tom Turner had the talent that rolled through Powell Valley and gate city he would have won 10 or state championships in my humble opinion.  I've seen mid 90s appy teams with 30 kids that could kick the crap out of just about any team today due to there sheer toughness and coach Tom turners ability to fire em up. 

Well said.  And I agree 100%!

11 hours ago, PV2VT said:

Enough said right here.