2017 Arby's Classic

swva_havok_fan

11 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Ford is also 6'-4" tall and close to 200 pounds.  He has potential to grow quite a bit more.  My brother says he is a good kid also.  Went to middle school with my nephew. 

They kept going on not believing he was a freshman. Not quite sure if it was the way he played, his size/look or both.

37 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

They kept going on not believing he was a freshman. Not quite sure if it was the way he played, his size/look or both.

I get it.  He is huge and looks like he is 25 years old but he was in middle school with my nephew until this school year.  The way the boundaries fall, Ford ended up at North Meck and my nephew ended up at Hough.

Edit to add....My brother played at Bluefield College from 1998-2002.  He was offered several coaching positions following college, one under Tommy Brown at Lee University in Cleveland TN.  He turned them down to chase a lifelong dream of being a "big city police officer" to which he has been with CMPD since 2002.  Point is, he knows more about basketball than I ever have or will.  He has been telling me about this kid for the past 5 or 6 years.  I just didn't realize he was already playing varsity until I saw the Huntington Prep box score. 

Given the opening rounds, I like North Meck to win the tournament this year -- they should roll Landstown big time tonight. 

I was also pretty impressed with Webb in their opener against a talented Fern Creek team. Webb is currently leading Columbia, GA by 24-9 at halftime and they (Columbia) crushed Science Hill by 30 in the first round. If this game holds Webb and North Meck could be an interesting Semi final. 

According to the box score, DB and Columbus, MS both went scoreless in the 2nd quarter after Columbus lead 24-22 after the 1st quarter. Don't think I've ever seen two teams go scoreless in a quarter, even in the days where it wasn't uncommon to see a team play a version of the four corners offense. Dobyns-Bennett scored 22 points in the first, then 21 points in the last three quarters combined as Columbus recovered from whatever was going on in the 2nd quarter to score 37 more points and win the game 61-43. Overall, has high school basketball in Upper East TN ever been as bad as it is right now? I know that Buck Van Huss, Bobby Chambers, Dickey Warren, Bobby Snyder, George Pitts, Elvin Brown, John McCrary and Charlie Bayless aren't walking through that door, but is this a coaching problem, or is there just a severe talent shortage?

56 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Overall, has high school basketball in Upper East TN ever been as bad as it is right now? I know that Buck Van Huss, Bobby Chambers, Dickey Warren, Bobby Snyder, George Pitts, Elvin Brown, John McCarary and Charlie Bayless aren't walking through that door, but is this a coaching problem, or is there just a severe talent shortage?

IMHO, it's both.  We seem light years from those DB and Science Hill teams of the 90s.  

48 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

IMHO, it's both.  We seem light years from those DB and Science Hill teams of the 90s.  

I guess the Crockett team from a couple of years ago was pretty decent, and Science Hill caught a bad break that may have cost them 1 state title when Shannon Hale and another kid transferred to Christ School a few years ago, but other than that, it's been really lean. 

Big win by GC over Fern Creek today! Mac dropped 44 and is now 38 points shy of the 2003 Arby's scoring record. 

We'll face the Lakota East - Mater Academy winner in the 6th place game tomorrow. 

I think we benefited from poor Fern Creek shooting in the first half, but this is an impressive win. 

I think the big difference is that east tn and swva do not participate as heavily in AAU as other regions. 

Unlike football, basketball has shifted from being high school based to travel ball based.

Right now, I doubt any school in the Cumberland District has a AAU team from 3rd grade thru 11th. While the rest of VA and TN has that. 

4 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

I think the big difference is that east tn and swva do not participate as heavily in AAU as other regions. 

Unlike football, basketball has shifted from being high school based to travel ball based.

Right now, I doubt any school in the Cumberland District has a AAU team from 3rd grade thru 11th. While the rest of VA and TN has that. 

I did not know that. Good point.

6th place game:  Gate City 66 Lakota East (OH) 54 -final

McClung scored 2,000 career point near end of game and finished 10 points shy of the tournament scoring record.

Per Tim Hayes, GC first far SWVA team to place in Arby's since Virginia High's 6th place finish in 1983.

Was a great Arby's experience for GC. We go 3-1 in the tournament. 

Great effort in a 16 point loss to North Mecklenburg........the #1 ranked team in North Carolina. Demolished Tennessee High by 36. Great 3 point win against Fern Creek.....the #2 ranked team in Kentucky (read that online. assume it is true.). Played a great game today in a 12 point win against Lakota East from Ohio. Lakota was a very physical, athletic team who played a tight man-to-man defense. 

Showed us things that we need to work on.