2017-18 Girls Season

Weatherman

With the season opening up next week, what's everyone predicting for the new season for Region D Hoops?  D1 and D2

Let's get some discussion going.

Who looks to be the best in each district in 1A?

Who looks to be the best in each district in 2A?  Can a local girls team win the 2A title again this season?  What about 1A?

Abingdon will be a game changer this season playing in the Mountain 7 District.

Ridgeview only lost two players from last year's team, only one of those being a starter.  I very much expect them to be in the mix again this year with Central.  I think Central lost at least one key player if not more, but Dotson doesn't ever rebuild, he just reloads.  The wild card in the Mountain will be Abingdon.  Not sure what kind of girls program they have, are they normally pretty good?

Gate City eked out a 2 point win over Rye Cove in a benefit game on Saturday.  That doesn't bode well for them.  My old high school mate, Kory Bostic will have Union competitive also, I'm sure.

Abingdon will be tough!! I saw the Hess girl has signed to play for Air Force. They have 4 sophomores that are good. I think they have 2-3 older girls besides Hess that can play also. 

Isnt abingdon 3A? How will that work with them playing in a 2A district? 

18 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

Abingdon will be tough!! I saw the Hess girl has signed to play for Air Force. They have 4 sophomores that are good. I think they have 2-3 older girls besides Hess that can play also. 

Isnt abingdon 3A? How will that work with them playing in a 2A district? 

I honestly have no idea.  Abingdon qualified for the 3D region volleyball tournament, but I am not sure how.  The 2D region volleyball tournament took 4 Mountain and 4 Southwest teams.  Is that how basketball will work also?  If so, how can Grayson County even qualify, since they're the only region D team in a primarily region C district?

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I honestly have no idea.  Abingdon qualified for the 3D region volleyball tournament, but I am not sure how.  The 2D region volleyball tournament took 4 Mountain and 4 Southwest teams.  Is that how basketball will work also?  If so, how can Grayson County even qualify, since they're the only region D team in a primarily region C district?

It works the exact same way as football. 8 teams get in from each region with the region winner and runner-up advance to the state tournament. So Grayson is in region D, they’ll be put into that region regardless of if they are the only school in that region that isn’t in the Mountain or Southwest. I think that’s correct from the way I read it. 

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

It works the exact same way as football. 8 teams get in from each region with the region winner and runner-up advance to the state tournament. So Grayson is in region D, they’ll be put into that region regardless of if they are the only school in that region that isn’t in the Mountain or Southwest. I think that’s correct from the way I read it. 

So, it's a power points scale like football?  Grayson didn't make it to region in volleyball, it was only the 4 from the Mountain 7 and 4 from the Southwest.

14 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

So, it's a power points scale like football?  Grayson didn't make it to region in volleyball, it was only the 4 from the Mountain 7 and 4 from the Southwest.

Not sure if it’s power points or a record thing or what. 

Pretty sure, it's top 3 from each district tourney (if season champ loses early and misses the finals or consolation game, they are in regardless) (Season champ may get the auto #1 also), they are in with a play in game between two #3 seeds that switches districts every year. 

Granted that is 1a, 2a "may" be the same

Hi guys great to see there's a board that discusses basketball at the high school level. 

Ive been out of the state for several years but returning to SWVA officially in January. My daughter grew up and attended Honaker several years back. It appears they Have a strong squad this year and last year. That's very exciting.  I actually caught a couple ridge view games last year in my travel. They reminded me of good ole SWVA basketball.  

Does honaker have have a real shot to make some noise in the D1 Girls division? Who would stick out as their biggest competition? 

Whos the best of the best right now in D1 D2 and D3? Is there a huge difference in the best D1 team compared to the best D3 team?

sorry for all the questions I'm just a big girls basketball fan.  I had 5 children all of which were girls, 4 played basketball at different schools while 1 was a track and tennis out cast.  Lol but we still love her 

4 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Probably another Chris Moir move to get another daddy in as basketball coach. I agree with other post, Tazewell should be strong this year. 

I don't think Coach Lowe has a daughter playing? I could be wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I don't think Coach Lowe has a daughter playing? I could be wrong. 

His daughter is a senior I believe. The Burton girl if I'm remembering correct from seeing them play Graham last year, somebody mentioned she was asst coach's daughter. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong though. 

7 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

His daughter is a senior I believe. The Burton girl if I'm remembering correct from seeing them play Graham last year, somebody mentioned she was asst coach's daughter. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong though. 

Step daughter. You're right. Forgot he was Burton's stepdad. I don't think this was a case of them wanting him in there as much as the players on the team wanted Palmer out, or so I was told. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Step daughter. You're right. Forgot he was Burton's stepdad. I don't think this was a case of them wanting him in there as much as the players on the team wanted Palmer out, or so I was told. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT 

Knowing Richlands, it was probably a case of somebody's princess not being coddled,  making her work hard, or not getting as much playing time as mommy & daddy wanted. Smells like another Jody Fuller incident. Gotta love school board politics. I have a friend whose daughter played under Palmer. He's always said good things about him as a coach & person. I don't know Palmer or Lowe personally but I'm sure both are good guys. I still stick with my original thought that Tazewell looks be strong team this year especially with transfer player.