2017-18 Girls Season

Weatherman

5 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I saw Tazewell tonight. The Transfer has made them my pick to come out on top of the Southwest District. The Transfer is LEGIT!!! Possibly best penetrating slashing point guard in SWVA. And she is 5,11” , I’m guessing. 

I agree! I remember her from last season and she will definitely be a key play maker for Bulldogs. 

9 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I saw Tazewell tonight. The Transfer has made them my pick to come out on top of the Southwest District. The Transfer is LEGIT!!! Possibly best penetrating slashing point guard in SWVA. And she is 5,11” , I’m guessing. 

I agree!  She is very impressive to watch.  

9 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

Honaker is really young with a lot of talent. By the end of the year they could make some noise D1. The  best team in the West in single A is Parry McCluer.  Region D 1A  favorite to start the season has to be Eastside. 

Great to hear about honaker I hope to follow them some this year.  How good is rhe Parry McCluer group. Can honaker beat them.  When I was around these areas last I believe Parry McCluer was a football power. I don't think I've seen them around the basketball court. 

Some of my work is close to EASTSIDE. I will try to take in a game or two.  Who are the best bigger schools in the SW now days. There's been so much combining it's hard to keep up. 

15 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

She is a special talent.  I've been watching her since she was a freshman at Bluefield and could tell that she was going to be very good, even back then.  Not only is she talented, but she knows how to play the game and makes the whole team better.  Tazewell has a few other players that are pretty dang good also.  She was a big part of that Bluefield team that made it to the state title game   

On 11/28/2017 at 11:05 PM, champ said:

Hi guys great to see there's a board that discusses basketball at the high school level. 

Ive been out of the state for several years but returning to SWVA officially in January. My daughter grew up and attended Honaker several years back. It appears they Have a strong squad this year and last year. That's very exciting.  I actually caught a couple ridge view games last year in my travel. They reminded me of good ole SWVA basketball.  

Does honaker have have a real shot to make some noise in the D1 Girls division? Who would stick out as their biggest competition? 

Whos the best of the best right now in D1 D2 and D3? Is there a huge difference in the best D1 team compared to the best D3 team?

sorry for all the questions I'm just a big girls basketball fan.  I had 5 children all of which were girls, 4 played basketball at different schools while 1 was a track and tennis out cast.  Lol but we still love her 

As for Honaker, they're young but with talent & great potential. They beat Richlands tonight by 14 after losing to Tazewell last week. Don't think it's this year but give them a couple years, they could have a good shot at state. 

On 12/4/2017 at 11:50 PM, Gridiron60 said:

As for Honaker, they're young but with talent & great potential. They beat Richlands tonight by 14 after losing to Tazewell last week. Don't think it's this year but give them a couple years, they could have a good shot at state. 

I was able to attend. I think it's a very good group of tigers. Great win 

On 12/4/2017 at 11:50 PM, Gridiron60 said:

On 12/7/2017 at 9:59 AM, champ said:

I was able to attend. I think it's a very good group of tigers. Great win 

I've heard good things about this young team. I'd also be interested to know why Richlands dropped Bluefield from their schedule. I know they got beat last year but it's my experience you want your team to play "up" instead of "down". The Richlands boys dropped Bluefield last year. I think it would have benefitted them to play a harder team before heading to state playoffs. In general,  a winning record isn't worth much if you're playing teams you can beat easily.  Back to topic, I think Honaker girls are going to be a force to reckon with the next year or two. 

25 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I've heard good things about this young team. I'd also be interested to know why Richlands dropped Bluefield from their schedule. I know they got beat last year but it's my experience you want your team to play "up" instead of "down". The Richlands boys dropped Bluefield last year. I think it would have benefitted them to play a harder team before heading to state playoffs. In general,  a winning record isn't worth much if you're playing teams you can beat easily.  Back to topic, I think Honaker girls are going to be a force to reckon with the next year or two. 

They very well might be a force to deal with this year. The won big today over a George wythe team that played for the state title last year ?  I'm not entirely sure how many returners George wythe has but this has to be a good win for the tigers either way. 

1 hour ago, champ said:

They very well might be a force to deal with this year. The won big today over a George wythe team that played for the state title last year ?  I'm not entirely sure how many returners George wythe has but this has to be a good win for the tigers either way. 

Wythe lost like 6-7 seniors. Literally, the cupboard is empty in Wytheville. Dougie is a good coach however but still, a win is a win but this IMO is not a hang your hat on it kind of win. 

It was a good win for the Tigers last night. Wythe did lose 7 or 8 seniors from last years team. Although wythe has a very talented young team.  Honaker is an even younger team than Wythe with 6 out of nine players 9th graders.  I agree that this one win doesn’t make them a shoe in for state. I think with their talent level they may shock some teams come February. 

40 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

It was a good win for the Tigers last night. Wythe did lose 7 or 8 seniors from last years team. Although wythe has a very talented young team.  Honaker is an even younger team than Wythe with 6 out of nine players 9th graders.  I agree that this one win doesn’t make them a shoe in for state. I think with their talent level they may shock some teams come February. 

Oh wow I was a little excited when I was told that wythe played for the title last year. Wasn't aware they lost a lot.  

Thanks for the update. Sounds like the tigers are in good shape still.  I would like to see the best teams in single A play so I can compare. Any suggestions of some teams or games to go watch.  I'm semi retired and work 2 days a week. I would love to see some good teams. Who should I target ? 

Parry McCluer

EastSide

Galax

Honaker

Im guessing those 4 have a good shot of making it to the final 8.  But there are a few other teams out there that could knock some of them out. 

Patrick Henry

rye cove

Grundy

Chilhowie

Narrows

Wythe

its just a wait and see game now. 

24 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

Parry McCluer

EastSide

Galax

Honaker

Im guessing those 4 have a good shot of making it to the final 8.  But there are a few other teams out there that could knock some of them out. 

Patrick Henry

rye cove

Grundy

Chilhowie

Narrows

Wythe

its just a wait and see game now. 

Thanks a good friend of mine also said to check narrows out as well as Eastside   I have picked a couple dates out to see them.

Your the second person on here that's told me to check McCluer out.  They are defending so I'd like to see what they have and who's returning but it's 3 hours away. I'd like to see them against someone down here.  

6 hours ago, champ said:

Thanks a good friend of mine also said to check narrows out as well as Eastside   I have picked a couple dates out to see them.

Your the second person on here that's told me to check McCluer out.  They are defending so I'd like to see what they have and who's returning but it's 3 hours away. I'd like to see them against someone down here.  

Save yourself the drive around SWVA and just go watch PM. They won state last year and return a bulk, if not all, of their starters and players. If PM does not win this year then it will be shocking. No one else in SWVA can play with them. 

On 12/9/2017 at 9:36 PM, Dick_Vitale said:

Save yourself the drive around SWVA and just go watch PM. They won state last year and return a bulk, if not all, of their starters and players. If PM does not win this year then it will be shocking. No one else in SWVA can play with them. 

They lost to a rebuilding Floyd Co. about a week back.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:33 PM, Dick_Vitale said:

a FC team that is always well coached and has about 400 more students to pick from. 

1A girls basketball, at least in Region C/D, belongs to PM. 

I was just responding because you said no one in SWVA could play with them.  Didn't know you only meant 1A.  Also, Floyd has an enrollment of about 600.  What is the enrollment of PM?  Just curious, I know it has to be below 450.

6 minutes ago, futbolking said:

I was just responding because you said no one in SWVA could play with them.  Didn't know you only meant 1A.  Also, Floyd has an enrollment of about 600.  What is the enrollment of PM?  Just curious, I know it has to be below 450.

We both have access tot he VHSL's numbers... I am not looking it up but I am guessing around 300-350? Furthermore, neither FC or PM is technically in SWVA. 1A SWVA cannot play with PM, there is that a better statement for you? I feel like I have covered all of my parameters. Let me know if I need to be more specific. 

Regardless, Dook lost to BC today, does that mean Dook is still not the favorite to win the NCAA this year? 

1 hour ago, Dick_Vitale said:

a FC team that is always well coached and has about 400 more students to pick from. 

1A girls basketball, at least in Region C/D, belongs to PM. 

The schedule has these two teams playing again on the 19th of dec. I have to go to Richmond VA sometime before Christmas. Will this be a good game to attend ? Do you know how close to interstate the PM Gym is? 

If the single A Is going to run through PM I'd really like to get a look at them. 

Honaker is young but they sure look good to me. I'd like to compare them to what PM has but I really don't want to drive to far out of my way. 

On 12/9/2017 at 10:45 PM, Dick_Vitale said:

We both have access tot he VHSL's numbers... I am not looking it up but I am guessing around 300-350? Furthermore, neither FC or PM is technically in SWVA. 1A SWVA cannot play with PM, there is that a better statement for you? I feel like I have covered all of my parameters. Let me know if I need to be more specific. 

Regardless, Dook lost to BC today, does that mean Dook is still not the favorite to win the NCAA this year? 

Thank you and I would appreciate if you were more specific with your posts in the future.  Duke is overrated.

11 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

PM 336

Floyd 639

12 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

A more accurate statement would be.  "No one else in SWVA should be able to play with them."  This is girls basketball we are talking about, Anything is possible!!