2017-18 Girls Season

Weatherman

6 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

A more accurate statement would be.  "No one else in SWVA should be able to play with them."  This is girls basketball we are talking about, Anything is possible!!

Uhm no, fairly confident in my statements. Just because it isn’t girls basketball does not mean “anything can happen”. Hurley would not beat PM once if they’ve played 1000 times. 

1 hour ago, Dick_Vitale said:

Uhm no, fairly confident in my statements. Just because it isn’t girls basketball does not mean “anything can happen”. Hurley would not beat PM once if they’ve played 1000 times. 

Uhm well, I just might have to agree with you on that one.  I don’t think anyone can argue that this is PM’s year.  Hands down favorite. I’m just stating that any team can have a really bad game at the worst possible time. And from what I hear that’s what happened to wythe last year. But I didn’t see that final game so that’s just heresay. 

On 12/10/2017 at 12:11 PM, Girls-Hoops said:

Uhm well, I just might have to agree with you on that one.  I don’t think anyone can argue that this is PM’s year.  Hands down favorite. I’m just stating that any team can have a really bad game at the worst possible time. And from what I hear that’s what happened to wythe last year. But I didn’t see that final game so that’s just heresay. 

Is it that much separation in single A ? Where as PM is a hands down favorite ? 

I think I have my schedule set so I can attend the PM VS FLOYD game on the 19th. 

Honaker is young and made many young mistakes the other night but for a single A team I left thinking they could upset anyone. 

I'm planning to attend Eastside at union on the 22nd.  I assume after these 2 games I will know first hand what the tigers are up against. 

On 11/29/2017 at 1:14 AM, Girls-Hoops said:

I saw Tazewell tonight. The Transfer has made them my pick to come out on top of the Southwest District. The Transfer is LEGIT!!! Possibly best penetrating slashing point guard in SWVA. And she is 5,11” , I’m guessing. 

Union put it on Tazewell tonight 72-35.  Union is one of the contenders in the Mountain 7 District.  Was Tazewell at full speed?

On 12/12/2017 at 5:41 PM, Dick_Vitale said:

Still trying to figure out if you are just here to fluff Honaker up here on the board... 

Hey man I'm here trying to reconnect myself with what use to be my life.  I've graduated 5 daughters and yes I have wonderful memories from years ago of my beloved honaker girl tigers 

but I really enjoy girls basketball overall and I'm trying to figure out who's who of the divisions.  I've lived up north for about 25 years until recently coming back to SWVA

im not fluffing honaker.  I recently saw Galax and they may be as good a single A team that I've ever saw.  I was hoping honaker could compete with anyone this year but after watching GALAX  I'd have a hard time seeing another single A team compete with them.  They look to me like they could beat or compete with anyone in any division. 

I do think honaker can be the team to beat in a year or two and I'm holding out hope for this year. 

20 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Union put it on Tazewell tonight 72-35.  Union is one of the contenders in the Mountain 7 District.  Was Tazewell at full speed?

I did talk to some people that watched the game. I was told Tazewell stayed in their press too long. They got down and panicked and the wheels fell off. I still think Tazewell has a good chance to win the Southwest although they have a long way to go before they can play with the top teams in the Mt. 7. 

Heading to the city of Buena Vista for what I understand to be a very good matchup between The Lady Blues and Floyd. 

Has anyone been up that way lately. Where's a good place to have dinner before the game 

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would take in the varsity girls & boys action between Richlands and Graham. I must say the girls game was pitiful. I've known our girls aren't that good this season and figured Richlands would beat us. I cannot remember the last time we even beat them in girls' basketball much less beat them handily while playing lousy. It wasn't pretty but it was a win. I'll stick with my prediction Tazewell wins conference. 

20 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Thought I would take in the varsity girls & boys action between Richlands and Graham. I must say the girls game was pitiful. I've known our girls aren't that good this season and figured Richlands would beat us. I cannot remember the last time we even beat them in girls' basketball much less beat them handily while playing lousy. It wasn't pretty but it was a win. I'll stick with my prediction Tazewell wins conference. 

I also picked Tazewell to win at the start of the season. I personally would like to see them win. Although I’m changing my prediction to Lebanon as the SW district champs this year. 

40 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I also picked Tazewell to win at the start of the season. I personally would like to see them win. Although I’m changing my prediction to Lebanon as the SW district champs this year. 

Yeah, the Lebanon girls have been looking pretty dang impressive.  It's too bad the Ridgeview/Lebanon game was a boys only this year.  Lebanon could've made a decent non conference opponent to play this year.

Is Central really that good guys? I watched them play v. Union and wasn't impressed in the slightest. They've got one shooter and a post player, and their offense is very hit or miss. Union was far from great, lots of turnovers, but still pulled out the W. I was told Wise was undefeated and had a shot to make a run but I don't see it. This Central team isn't nearly as good as some in years past IMO.

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Is Central really that good guys? I watched them play v. Union and wasn't impressed in the slightest. They've got one shooter and a post player, and their offense is very hit or miss. Union was far from great, lots of turnovers, but still pulled out the W. I was told Wise was undefeated and had a shot to make a run but I don't see it. This Central team isn't nearly as good as some in years past IMO.

I have thought all year that Central is not near as strong as in past years. I’ve watched them play 3 games this year so far. They are very well coached and play fundamental basketball on both ends of the floor and  usually don’t make near the number of mistakes their opponents make. So I guess that = a lot of wins. 

2 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I have thought all year that Central is not near as strong as in past years. I’ve watched them play 3 games this year so far. They are very well coached and play fundamental basketball on both ends of the floor and  usually don’t make near the number of mistakes their opponents make. So I guess that = a lot of wins. 

I agree. Dotson is the best coach in the area so his teams are well disciplined and never beat themselves. But there just is not a ton of talent there I believe. A good team but not a great one.

17 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I ageee.  The more I watch the more central is dropping down my rankings list. 

I won't bury them now, they'd won 17 straight games and are the most consistent program in SWVA. But I do believe this team lacks the depth and talent of years past. They have one excellent scoring guard and a post player that is big and can dominate the glass but the scoring options are very limited. 

Union is far from a pushover tho, despite their poor record the Lady Bears are capable of beating any team. Contrast with Wise, Union has several different scorers and ball handlers. They have a talented young forward that is long and athletic and several guards who can penetrate. I only saw one real shooter Friday but several girls that got to the basket. Turnovers are the only reason Central was in the game, Union would get a decent lead then turn it over multiple possessions. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I won't bury them now, they'd won 17 straight games and are the most consistent program in SWVA. But I do believe this team lacks the depth and talent of years past. They have one excellent scoring guard and a post player that is big and can dominate the glass but the scoring options are very limited. 

Union is far from a pushover tho, despite their poor record the Lady Bears are capable of beating any team. Contrast with Wise, Union has several different scorers and ball handlers. They have a talented young forward that is long and athletic and several guards who can penetrate. I only saw one real shooter Friday but several girls that got to the basket. Turnovers are the only reason Central was in the game, Union would get a decent lead then turn it over multiple possessions. 

I watched Union play a few times this year. They are very long and athletic. In my opinion they are similar to PM except Union is more athletic but does not play as good of a basketball game as PM.  They have the ability on any given night to beat any of Champs top 10 teams. Just my opinion. 

23 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I watched Union play a few times this year. They are very long and athletic. In my opinion they are similar to PM except Union is more athletic but does not play as good of a basketball game as PM.  They have the ability on any given night to beat any of Champs top 10 teams. Just my opinion. 

I only saw them once this year.  I didn't think they were great that night.  Nice win the other night though.  If they keep that up I'm sure I will have to move them up in my rankings.  

Which im sure they are concerned about my rankings lol. 

11 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I was jumping up and down when I saw the final roll in the other night.  Hell, if we can't beat em', it's at least good to see a former Haysi Tiger get the job done.

It's only a matter of time before Union breaks that 0-8 all time record against the Lady Wolfpack.  Just hope it doesn't happen Friday night.  Lol

14 hours ago, champ said:

I only saw them once this year.  I didn't think they were great that night.  Nice win the other night though.  If they keep that up I'm sure I will have to move them up in my rankings.  

Which im sure they are concerned about my rankings lol. 

I think it’s great someone is taking the time to look at the girls teams and rank them. Your rankings is probably better and most likely the most attention the girls will get, unlike the boys side. 

If you divide it up 1a and 2a and have 2 lists of 10 we might get more people on here arguing and talking about it. LOL 

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I was jumping up and down when I saw the final roll in the other night.  Hell, if we can't beat em', it's at least good to see a former Haysi Tiger get the job done.

It's only a matter of time before Union breaks that 0-8 all time record against the Lady Wolfpack.  Just hope it doesn't happen Friday night.  Lol

I'm surprised you couldn't hear Bostic yelling up there in Dickenson Co., he screams more than any coach I've ever seen lol.

I'll never forgive you guys for denying the girls a state title. Union had a lead and everything, just couldn't close it out :(