2017-18 Girls Season

Weatherman

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I'm surprised you couldn't hear Bostic yelling up there in Dickenson Co., he screams more than any coach I've ever seen lol.

I'll never forgive you guys for denying the girls a state title. Union had a lead and everything, just couldn't close it out :(

Ha!  Come on man!  Y'all gotta let us have our shining moment in at least one sport, because we've sucked in everything else up until this year when the football team finally got things going...

Softball for us could be decent this year though.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Ha!  Come on man!  Y'all gotta let us have our shining moment in at least one sport, because we've sucked in everything else up until this year when the football team finally got things going...

Softball for us could be decent this year though.

I would if Union had any other state titles. But the school is currently 0-fer in the title department. Lots of conference and region trophies, no state ones :(

It's crazy, traditionally the weakest program for PV was the first Union team to play for a title. Not even a really good football team made it that far (although I still blame the refs for that lol).

16 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I would if Union had any other state titles. But the school is currently 0-fer in the title department. Lots of conference and region trophies, no state ones :(

It's crazy, traditionally the weakest program for PV was the first Union team to play for a title. Not even a really good football team made it that far (although I still blame the refs for that lol).

Yeah, I guess that would befuddle some folks that have never won a title in anything, and a new program like Ridgeview wins a title in Year 1.  Although, the majority of the 2016 Ridgeview girls won the title the year before in 2015 with Clintwood also.

As a fan though, I would trade it for a Haysi state title anyday.  We were so close in 1995 in football.  Lost 6-0 to Giles in the slop at Sandlick in the semis after being in the red zone 3 times in the 4th quarter.

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

As a fan though, I would trade it for a Haysi state title anyday.  We were so close in 1995 in football.  Lost 6-0 to Giles in the slop at Sandlick in the semis after being in the red zone 3 times in the 4th quarter.

93 wasnt it?

43 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

93 wasnt it?

One of those years... I get year numbers mixed up badly.  I just remember game details.

Another game that haunts me to this day but can't remember the year it happened was when we had Council down 39-12 after 3 quarters at the Cobra Den and gave it away. Council stole the ball from Blake Owens and drove the length of the floor for the buzzer beating layup as time expired for a 43-41 win.  I legit never talked to my aunt and cousins again after that game.  I was at the top of the bleachers and positioned myself at the bottom after the 3rd quarter, cause I couldn't wait to run across the court into the Council stands and start talking smack, after all the grief I had got from them over the years during the pinnacle of the rivalry.  When the final buzzer sounded, I sat there for a second in stunned disbelief.  Then I saw them coming across the court to talk smack to me, and it shocked me back into reality, and I ran out the doors to the car as fast as I could go.  They tried to get me to stop my car and I sped right past them without even rolling my window down.  Lol.

7 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, I guess that would befuddle some folks that have never won a title in anything, and a new program like Ridgeview wins a title in Year 1.  Although, the majority of the 2016 Ridgeview girls won the title the year before in 2015 with Clintwood also.

That's what took out some of the sting, knowing that CWood had won it all year before with basically same team.  That was such a good group of girls for Union tho, Syd McKinney is playing very well for Emory, freshman newcomer of the year last year and first off bench this year.

Shame the refs screwed Union out of a bucket at end of second quarter :p

19 hours ago, sixcat said:

I think it's wonderful that we have, between this thread and the "Rankings" thread, 9 pages of nothing but girls basketball commentary.  I didn't think that was possible, to be honest!

Well, aside from Gate City & Richlands, the girls are much more competitive at a statewide level than the boys in this end of the state. It's nice to see this amount of interest for sure, especially knowing the effort some of these girls are putting out year round now. Back when I played (~10 yrs ago), there were only a few girls playing year round; now, there's pretty much at least one from most teams here playing and working year round. 

20 minutes ago, EliteSWVAFan said:

Well, aside from Gate City & Richlands, the girls are much more competitive at a statewide level than the boys in this end of the state. It's nice to see this amount of interest for sure, especially knowing the effort some of these girls are putting out year round now. Back when I played (~10 yrs ago), there were only a few girls playing year round; now, there's pretty much at least one from most teams here playing and working year round. 

Girls basketball and softball consistently produce more state championship caliber teams than any other sports on our end of the state and have for a long time.  They rarely receive the same recognition as the boys, however.  It's nice to see the efforts of these young lady's being noticed with the amount of activity on this site.

The girls who remain in the program at Galax are changing the culture.  The new coach ruffled some feathers of parents and players alike causing roughly half the program participants to quit over the past year.  I'm not certain that's an altogether negative thing.  Changing a culture of mediocrity means changing habits, patterns, expectations and desires.  Those who weren't willing to put in the work throughout the spring and summer were a part of the culture of mediocrity.  The results have been tremendous thus far.  This team is young, hungry but inconsistent.  But the inconsistency is changing rapidly!

I look forward to what these girls can accomplish over the next few years.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Girls basketball and softball consistently produce more state championship caliber teams than any other sports on our end of the state and have for a long time.  They rarely receive the same recognition as the boys, however.  It's nice to see the efforts of these young lady's being noticed with the amount of activity on this site.

The girls who remain in the program at Galax are changing the culture.  The new coach ruffled some feathers of parents and players alike causing roughly half the program participants to quit over the past year.  I'm not certain that's an altogether negative thing.  Changing a culture of mediocrity means changing habits, patterns, expectations and desires.  Those who weren't willing to put in the work throughout the spring and summer were a part of the culture of mediocrity.  The results have been tremendous thus far.  This team is young, hungry but inconsistent.  But the inconsistency is changing rapidly!

The summer showcase team that Essence Brown and Shay Fox of Galax played with this summer had several other SWVA girls (Grace Hess and Taylor Gilbert [Abindgon], Dee Cvetnich [Central], Ericah Burton [Richlands]). Their coach was extremely demanding in a very positive way so with those two at the helm, I see a bright future for Galax. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

8 minutes ago, EliteSWVAFan said:

The summer showcase team that Essence Brown and Shay Fox of Galax played with this summer had several other SWVA girls (Grace Hess and Taylor Gilbert [Abindgon], Dee Cvetnich [Central], Ericah Burton [Richlands]). Their coach was extremely demanding in a very positive way so with those two at the helm, I see a bright future for Galax. 

I thought GALAX was one of the best small A teams I'd seen until I changed my mind a bit score board watching.  However if the GALAX team I watched early In the season shows up in the post season then I believe the sky's the limit.  I personally think Galax is one of the few teams out there that can beat the PM team. 

I was very impressed with those girls the game I saw.  I'm sure PM wants to avoid playing that group if at all possible. 

If if nothing else it sounds like the girls deserve  to be recognized for their hard off season work.   I doubt anyone at these small school districts are putting in that much off season work.  It sounds like GALAX should be rewarded 

7 hours ago, Counts said:

No by rule there was only time on the clock for a tip not a catch and shoot. the call was correct

It wasn't a full catch and shoot IIRC. I can't find the clip, but the ball was in the air when the time ran out. It's meaningless now tho.

Union had a late lead but couldnt close it out, that bucket didn't lose the game. Union not hitting shots late did. 

3 hours ago, EliteSWVAFan said:

What Essence and Shay are doing now will be an example for the girls in middle school.  That's where Galax has talent in spades.....boys and girls. 

Galax will be competitive on a state level in a number of sports with that group.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:18 PM, Girls-Hoops said:

I also picked Tazewell to win at the start of the season. I personally would like to see them win. Although I’m changing my prediction to Lebanon as the SW district champs this year. 

I'm tending to agree with you about Lebanon winning conference. 

On 1/18/2018 at 4:32 PM, BigWinners said:

It wasn't a full catch and shoot IIRC. I can't find the clip, but the ball was in the air when the time ran out. It's meaningless now tho.

Union had a late lead but couldnt close it out, that bucket didn't lose the game. Union not hitting shots late did. 

It wasnt a tip either.  It was in her hand longer than .4 or whatever was on the clock in reality.

22 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

It is, but its also on the coaches to run a play that has a chance of succeeding.  You cant blame the officials for getting the call right when they all know to wave off any shot that is more than a tip in in that situation.

That's the NBA rule, I wasn't aware it was the same in HS.