The rematch: Appomattox @ Union

CriticalNoise

14 hours ago, local_insight said:

Not a Giles fan, but I've watched Appomattox. Graves is not faster than Cooke, however Graves is a much better play maker than Cooke. Yes, Scruggs is better than allen. He is much more experienced and has more play makers around him than Allen does. 

This is Exactly right...but I think graves is a better WR by a good stretch but not faster

And IMO Scruggs is far and above Allen in every category

Let me ask this question. I know Appo is 2 time defending state champs and have only lost, what, one game in three seasons, but as the old adage  goes "Defense wins championships", do the bears have enough defense to win? IMO yes. We have shut down the best in region D and have only allowed  points through out 3 playoff games (8 of which came on our second string). WE have shut down big bruising backs like Ford. We have slowed down high powered passing attacks like Graham. (held them to 0. Nobody has done that this season). We have smashed people in the face every game. Appo has speed but from the film I watched Glenvar was in there backfield more than once but couldn't keep down field containment. I just do not see the same Appo team that they have been the past two years. I don't see them dominating the LOS and blowing d lines off the ball like last year. Ive said it before and Ill say it again, 2017 bears are not as talent laden as years past but they are playing as a team more than ever before. Coach Rhodes has my upmost respect. He has the bears d playing football. I feel if we can hold the ball and stop Appo on two drives we win. the best defense against speed and explosive teams is do not let them have the ball.

Sorry should have added this to the last post. I feel like our biggest concern is there D1 NC State commit at DB. If he is half the ball player I think he is, then we may have trouble moving the ball. Im not talking about passing but a true D1 player will make plays. He will make it hard for us to break off any long runs and we will have to protect the ball as we run down the field.

5 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

Sorry should have added this to the last post. I feel like our biggest concern is there D1 NC State commit at DB. If he is half the ball player I think he is, then we may have trouble moving the ball. Im not talking about passing but a true D1 player will make plays. He will make it hard for us to break off any long runs and we will have to protect the ball as we run down the field.

You don't beat Appo by breaking off long runs. You ground and pound and limit their possessions. They have given up close to 700 rushing yards in 2 games. If you can't run on them, then you're in trouble because their secondary is forreal so you don't want to pass the ball. 

4 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

Graves won't be a factor on D like he will be on O. Appo's QB takes one step back and slings it to a streaking Graves on a slant route. If they get us anywhere it will be this play.

Just now, Union_Fan said:

Graves won't be a factor on D like he will be on O. Appo's QB takes one step back and slings it to a streaking Graves on a slant route. If they get us anywhere it will be this play.

The slant route is always dangerous but when they do it, it's very dangerous.

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

Exactly! I feel confident we can stop the run, and I know we can get pressure on deep throws, but that slant happens so fast, unless you have a VERY well placed LB, Graves is gone.

You gotta double Graves and blitz all day. Scruggs is good, but rarely pressured. He won’t like it. But you gotta make someone not named graves beat you.

1 minute ago, Union_Fan said:

Exactly! I feel confident we can stop the run, and I know we can get pressure on deep throws, but that slant happens so fast, unless you have a VERY well placed LB, Graves is gone.

The only flaw I found with Scruggs is that he predetermines who he is going to throw to. I know you have many qbs that do that but as soon as he drops back he immediately looks at who he wants to throw it to and that's usually who it gets thrown to. And besides Graves they do have other good receives that don't really get much credit that are quick and can catch the bullet throws.

1 minute ago, Suit Up said:

You gotta double Graves and blitz all day. Scruggs is good, but rarely pressured. He won’t like it. But you gotta make someone not named graves beat you.

2 things worry me....Graves, and Scruggs escaping the pocket for long gains. If we take away the quick pass and contain Scruggs, we win. I just don't think they will be able to run on us consistently.

Union is not going to pass the ball on Appo. If Union wins this game its because they run the ball down their throat. Appo gives up a lot of rushing yards and as far as I am concerned, Union has one of the best rushing attack offenses left. On Defense, Appo is probably going to play 1 on 1 on the corners and leave Graves to play center field and do what Richlands did, send the heat every play. If Union can score more than 28 or 30 yall win.  (If you can stop them.)

We wont throw at all in this game. It just worries me that he is a D1 level DB. im not even concerned about the slant rout to him either. Im confident in our linebacking corp and James to lay the wood on him if he touches the ball. Like mentioned above ball control on offense and limit Appo to as few touches as possible and we will win. If they have given up 700 yards then we can easily play our normal game plan and run run run run run run run run.

28 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

We wont throw at all in this game. It just worries me that he is a D1 level DB. im not even concerned about the slant rout to him either. Im confident in our linebacking corp and James to lay the wood on him if he touches the ball. Like mentioned above ball control on offense and limit Appo to as few touches as possible and we will win. If they have given up 700 yards then we can easily play our normal game plan and run run run run run run run run.

That slant play killed us last year so hopefully they can slow it down a little this year

35 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

That slant play killed us last year so hopefully they can slow it down a little this year

The thing about Appo is the overall play of the whole team. If you stop the slant and begin to put heat on the QB, they will screen you to death.  If you stop the run inside they will option you outside.  They are a good over all team, but Union has just as good a team if they don't get sucked into playing Appo's game.  As stated here before, GROUND & POUND, keeping the ball away from the Appo offence.  Another team that use to do this well was the old Gate City under Harry Frye, 4 downs and a cloud of dust was one of his favorite sayings.  I remember 4th and 4 on his own 18 yard line and GC went for it and made 5 yards and a first.  To me Union has that kind of offense and one heck of a defense.  I saw them play Richlands twice this year, and I have no doubt that if they don't let Appo get them out of their game, all Union fans will celebrate a victory at Bullit Park. Go Bears!!!!!

I think Union is built to beat Appo. Losing Turner has forced Union to become a dominant run team. That eats clock and forces Appo to have to score each time they touch the ball. They also have Mitchell. He can run or catch. By having Mitchell run the wildcat not throwing the ball much, you eliminate Graves from the equation. On defense, Union has maybe the best front 7 I've ever seen in SWVA. Just dominant. If they can get pressure on Scruggs, I like Union's chances. I don't see Appo gauging this D on the ground, so it'll have to be through the air, and it'll be up to the front 7 to make sure Scruggs doesn't have time to get it to Graves deep. 

40 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I think Union is built to beat Appo. Losing Turner has forced Union to become a dominant run team. That eats clock and forces Appo to have to score each time they touch the ball. They also have Mitchell. He can run or catch. By having Mitchell run the wildcat not throwing the ball much, you eliminate Graves from the equation. On defense, Union has maybe the best front 7 I've ever seen in SWVA. Just dominant. If they can get pressure on Scruggs, I like Union's chances. I don't see Appo gauging this D on the ground, so it'll have to be through the air, and it'll be up to the front 7 to make sure Scruggs doesn't have time to get it to Graves deep. 

Your first sentence is Exactly right...only way to beat them is ground and pound and control clock...but you better score when given the chance cause they don't give many chances

I hope if Union does fall behind 7-14 points, the wheels don't come off. Momentum and state of mind are huge. Appo knows they can win if they get down a score or two (although they haven't been down much at all, maybe same goes for them?) I hope Union can play with same confidence. The defense is good enough to get a couple stops and allow the offense to get back into a rhythm, I just hope the kids aren't in their heads. 

If Union can get good movement from the OL and tackle in space, they can keep it close and win. If not, could be another long day.

18 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I hope if Union does fall behind 7-14 points, the wheels don't come off. Momentum and state of mind are huge. Appo knows they can win if they get down a score or two (although they haven't been down much at all, maybe same goes for them?) I hope Union can play with same confidence. The defense is good enough to get a couple stops and allow the offense to get back into a rhythm, I just hope the kids aren't in their heads. 

If Union can get good movement from the OL and tackle in space, they can keep it close and win. If not, could be another long day.

If I know anything about Union it’s there ability to never count themselves out. I remember in 2014 Richlands was leading them 28-7 with about 9 minutes to go in the 4.th at home. It was 21-0 after the first quarter. union won 29-28..

46 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Union fell behind at letcher county a couple times I. The first half. Our first game without Turner under center. But they rallied and found their resolve and hammered them the second half. Shit down and very good passing qb with speedy WRs also. I’d rather not be behind though lol. 

Against Graham, I think Union tackled well in space. I think it is key this week against Appomattox. I think the linebacker play of Kennedy and Lane will help shut down the slant!! Secondary play will be big, but I agree Graves needs to be doubled. Somebody jamming him on the line and someone playing over top of him. I seen it against Graham towards the end of the game they walked Hamilton out on Cooke and had Qualls covering him over top. The front 7 is key I think, getting pressure on the QB and not allowing him to get free and limiting the big gains. I'm not predicting a score because I have seen very little of Appomattox. I do think Appomattox will be shell shocked traveling down to Bullitt Park and experiencing the atmosphere at the park. 

I think they will will run the ball well, the tandem of Mitchell, Owens, Jenkins, and Zirkle is going to be hard for any defense to stop. Also with Qualls and Polier capable of running the ball!!!!

GO BEARS!!!!!!

Last year if Union would have won, they would have shocked the world. Everyone knows what it was like last year. Appomattox was head and shoulders above everyone and deep down all the Union fans news we would have to be thrilled with just a close game. Dare I say the script is flipped this year? No, Union isn't as good as last years Appo team and Appomattox is still the two time champs. I'm not saying that Union will win by 40 or that Appomattox fans should just hope for a close game, but the general idea is that Union should be favored. 

15 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

Somehow I think Turner may use a play or two different, seems like the playbook has been kept in the back pocket for this game

I'd like to think that. I just have no idea what else he could possibly due without abandoning what's bringing us success.