The rematch: Appomattox @ Union

CriticalNoise

I think the key to the whole game lies in the first quarter, Union is the favorite but must play like an underdog. Union can't get behind two touchdown's and win. If Appomattox get's ahead and you have to throw the ball you are doomed. If Union wins the coin toss, I would  take the ball and keep it, as long as I could just to shorten the game. Speed Kills but if speed isn't on the field it can't hurt you. If Union can muddy up this game to where it becomes a Slugfest of runs and punts, I really like their chances.

I'd liken what Union needs to do as to what Appalachia did to Bath County back in the....well.....a long time ago. Or maybe what I saw Appalachia do to Sullivan Central in a scrimmage years ago when they got the opening possession, and with SC operating the scoreboard that day, consumed the entire 1st quarter and maybe 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter to get a TD. Still the most time consuming drive I've ever seen anywhere, and just maybe in the history of football.

Off topic question.  Considering coming down for the game Saturday to support the Bears (even though you beat my BLUES twice this year) lol. 

For the other two games RIchlands games I have been to, I have parked right beside of the first ticket booth you come to through the concrete columns or whatever you want to call them lol. 

But since I am planning on sitting on Unions side, is there accessible parking on the other side that would be a better option?  Also, what is the accessible seating like on the home side?  Spots available for wheelchairs available beside of seats in case someone is with me?

Thanks for any info!!

1 hour ago, oldfool said:

Love the enthusiasm you guys have, reminds me of last year almost word for word.

I know, it is concerning,   I believe that the first quarter will decide the game, it usually does in high school ball but that is why the game is played, both teams are different than 1 year ago. Don't think it will be a blow out either way. 

3 minutes ago, mv91 said:

Off topic question.  Considering coming down for the game Saturday to support the Bears (even though you beat my BLUES twice this year) lol. 

For the other two games RIchlands games I have been to, I have parked right beside of the first ticket booth you come to through the concrete columns or whatever you want to call them lol. 

But since I am planning on sitting on Unions side, is there accessible parking on the other side that would be a better option?  Also, what is the accessible seating like on the home side?  Spots available for wheelchairs available beside of seats in case someone is with me?

Thanks for any info!!

I'm sorry, but there is no wheelchair accessible seating on the home stands. They really need some, but I suppose are "grandfathered" in. Some folks that I have seen in wheelchairs or scooters usually watch the game from the track on either side of the home stands. Although it's not a very good view as it's at field level.

Just now, Union_Fan said:

I'm sorry, but there is no wheelchair accessible seating on the home stands. They really need some, but I suppose are "grandfathered" in. Some folks that I have seen in wheelchairs or scooters usually watch the game from the track on either side of the home stands. Although it's not a very good view as it's at field level.

The visitor bleacher have the handicap accessible seating. But we would rather have our Blues friends with us. There is handicap parking along the fence but it does fill up quick. Get there as the gates open and u can park inside the Park. Praying for safe travels for all. 

17 minutes ago, chumbucket said:

I know, it is concerning,   I believe that the first quarter will decide the game, it usually does in high school ball but that is why the game is played, both teams are different than 1 year ago. Don't think it will be a blow out either way. 

Not true here in SWVA. Over the past 4 yrs. the games between Richlands and Union wasn't decided until very late in the fourth, or even overtime.  Union has the experience of for quarters no matter what happens in the first quarter.  GROUND & POUND with the crowd noise and the travel will win this game for the Bears, but they will have to control the clock for four full quarters, not just one, and I think they understand this. Go BEARS!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Well, that stinks.  Would love to come and support the Bears but definitely would rather not sit on the track.  And I am definitely not going to sit on the Appo side lol.

Just from my view from the visitors side, it looks like a ramp brings you up to the home stands.  Just no room for a wheelchair to sit at the front of the bleachers?

Thanks for info!!

Just my 2 cents, the "grandfathered" in stuff is for the birds!!!  Unfortunately it happens all over the place!

Both teams have  what it takes to win the game - the-team that limits mistakes and makes a few long plays on offense should win the game. Run D for union is stout and pass D is not bad, a little inconsistent.  Run D for Appo tends to give up to much yardage from the film that I have watched. Appo has the edge at QB and passing. Union has the edge as in not having to travel and home field. Should be an outstanding game. 

7 minutes ago, mv91 said:

Well, that stinks.  Would love to come and support the Bears but definitely would rather not sit on the track.  And I am definitely not going to sit on the Appo side lol.

Just from my view from the visitors side, it looks like a ramp brings you up to the home stands.  Just no room for a wheelchair to sit at the front of the bleachers?

Thanks for info!!

Just my 2 cents, the "grandfathered" in stuff is for the birds!!!  Unfortunately it happens all over the place!

Yes, there is a ramp on each side of the home side, but it is just for getting on and off the narrow walkway at the front, that is barely wide enough for 2 people to pass each other without bumping shoulders.  And I agree, we REALLY need some wheelchair accessible areas on the home side.

So sorry! :(

8 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

Not true here in SWVA. Over the past 4 yrs. the games between Richlands and Union wasn't decided until very late in the fourth, or even overtime.  Union has the experience of for quarters no matter what happens in the first quarter.  GROUND & POUND with the crowd noise and the travel will win this game for the Bears, but they will have to control the clock for four full quarters, not just one, and I think they understand this. Go BEARS!!!!!

Mr. Blue,, first of all, that is only 2 teams out of all of SWVA. They have played each other very tough over the past 4 yrs but the vast majority of high school games are decided in the first quarter. 

11 minutes ago, chumbucket said:

Both teams have  what it takes to win the game - the-team that limits mistakes and makes a few long plays on offense should win the game. Run D for union is stout and pass D is not bad, a little inconsistent.  Run D for Appo tends to give up to much yardage from the film that I have watched. Appo has the edge at QB and passing. Union has the edge as in not having to travel and home field. Should be an outstanding game. 

What I've watched of appo on maxpreps they seem to run a 3 man front with a linebacker sneaking down on the line from time to time. If they run a 3 man front against Union we can run the trap play to zirkle all game long. 

13 minutes ago, chumbucket said:

Mr. Blue,, first of all, that is only 2 teams out of all of SWVA. They have played each other very tough over the past 4 yrs but the vast majority of high school games are decided in the first quarter. 

Thanks for the respect, but what do you base your anology on, most games that are not blow outs are not decided until late in the game, and being a Richlands fan I'll point to RHS vs Graham (overtime), RHS vs Marion (4th 2:00 minutes on the clock), RHS vs VH ( late in the 4th) RHS vs Blk Burg. late in 3rd quarter, RHS vs W Byrd 2nd half.  None of these games were decided in the first quarter.  The only games decided in the first quarter is when you have a lopsided match and one team is far superior to the other.  That's not the case in this game, so how can you say it will be decided in the first quarter?

34 minutes ago, mv91 said:

Thanks for info!!

How come Mitchell Stadium wasn't "grandfathered" in? I'v said it on here before but thanks to George Brown the visitors side at Richlands HS now has accessible seating. This should be a requirement for every facility.

32 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Yes, there is a ramp on each side of the home side, but it is just for getting on and off the narrow walkway at the front, that is barely wide enough for 2 people to pass each other without bumping shoulders.  And I agree, we REALLY need some wheelchair accessible areas on the home side.

So sorry! :(

Oh ok.  Thanks 

Best of luck Saturday and hopefully you all bring a state title back to SWVA!!!

Mr. Blue, most games in SWVA are lopsided, teams like Richlands, Union, Graham, Gate City( not this year) are and have been the superior teams in this area, for decades. Vast majority don't have the success that these teams have had. So, that is why I made the statement that I made. You and I know that within the 1st quarter which team has the better D and O, it is easy to see and remember these are high school boys, if they are down by 21 in the first quarter--that is it. Motivation is gone, I observed this with Graham just last Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, chumbucket said:

Mr. Blue, most games in SWVA are lopsided, teams like Richlands, Union, Graham, Gate City( not this year) are and have been the superior teams in this area, for decades. Vast majority don't have the success that these teams have had. So, that is why I made the statement that I made. You and I know that within the 1st quarter which team has the better D and O, it is easy to see and remember these are high school boys, if they are down by 21 in the first quarter--that is it. Motivation is gone, I observed this with Graham just last Saturday. 

I do agree with your statement, and you are right from that viewpoint, but I along with the majority on this board, from what I have viewed, do not think this  game is your usual SWVA game, and I for one think it will take four quarters to decide who goes away the victor.  If I'm wrong you can beat me over the left eye ball with a wet noodle, and I will humbly apologize and bow to your superior knowledge of football. Who knows, maybe I'll even begin to only watch the first quarter of the games, and say, "Game over" ha ha

1 minute ago, Blue 72 said:

I do agree with your statement, and you are right from that viewpoint, but I along with the majority on this board, from what I have viewed, do not think this  game is your usual SWVA game, and I for one think it will take four quarters to decide who goes away the victor.  If I'm wrong you can beat me over the left eye ball with a wet noodle, and I will humbly apologize and bow to your superior knowledge of football. Who knows, maybe I'll even begin to only watch the first quarter of the games, and say, "Game over" ha ha

Hope you come to the game Saturday, I will be there,   I promise not to bring any noodles, lol