The rematch: Appomattox @ Union

CriticalNoise

4 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

How much success did Appo have prior to the past couple of years? Are they having a good run of athletes or was there a coaching change?

The coaching is good but with those athletes we could take 5 or 6 of us from this forum and form a coaching staff and win a ring or two. 

48 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

Thanks for the respect, but what do you base your anology on, most games that are not blow outs are not decided until late in the game, and being a Richlands fan I'll point to RHS vs Graham (overtime), RHS vs Marion (4th 2:00 minutes on the clock), RHS vs VH ( late in the 4th) RHS vs Blk Burg. late in 3rd quarter, RHS vs W Byrd 2nd half.  None of these games were decided in the first quarter.  The only games decided in the first quarter is when you have a lopsided match and one team is far superior to the other.  That's not the case in this game, so how can you say it will be decided in the first quarter?

I think he meant assert their will in the first qtr. setting tempo early is how I’m reading into it. Hope that helps. If we don’t install our game plan early and let them get there going, it could be bad. But that goes for both teams. 

1 hour ago, mv91 said:

Well, that stinks.  Would love to come and support the Bears but definitely would rather not sit on the track.  And I am definitely not going to sit on the Appo side lol.

Just from my view from the visitors side, it looks like a ramp brings you up to the home stands.  Just no room for a wheelchair to sit at the front of the bleachers?

Thanks for info!!

Just my 2 cents, the "grandfathered" in stuff is for the birds!!!  Unfortunately it happens all over the place!

I contacted the school about this question. Seems the track is the preferred spot. Bullitt is an old stadium dating back to before the 50’s. Concrete bleachers make adjustments difficult unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

I contacted the school about this question. Seems the track is the preferred spot. Bullitt is an old stadium dating back to before the 50’s. Concrete bleachers make adjustments difficult unfortunately. 

That's unfortunate. Mitchell Stadium was just like this till a few years ago. Old concrete stadium. They had to make improvemens for accessible seatingon both sides. Honestly watching a game from a track and the only view you get is the backsides of players, coaches, and fans isn't much of an experience. 

Don't take this as a slam towards you or anyone else on here. Maybe this is an issue that may be corrected in the future with the right leadership.

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

Not true here in SWVA. Over the past 4 yrs. the games between Richlands and Union wasn't decided until very late in the fourth, or even overtime.  Union has the experience of for quarters no matter what happens in the first quarter.  GROUND & POUND with the crowd noise and the travel will win this game for the Bears, but they will have to control the clock for four full quarters, not just one, and I think they understand this. Go BEARS!!!!!

They have the things called hotels that are for spending the night in away from home, I am sure Appomattox has one rented somewhere near by. They will not have to leave Appo at 3:30 am and make the four trip to Bullitt Park and get off the bus and play the game. Bullitt Park is intimidating to play in, and will be loud, but I don't think Appomattox is scared at all. I hope that the game is welled played and both teams leave to BS at home and most of all that the officiating crew gets control of the game and doesn't want to be the stars of it.

15 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

How much success did Appo have prior to the past couple of years? Are they having a good run of athletes or was there a coaching change?

Appo's coach Dough Smith was at Heritage-Lynchburg from 09-11. He went 3-7, 4-7, and 6-5 and was fired after the '11 season. From 09-11 Appo went  9-3, 5-5, 10-2

He started the '12 season at Appo. Appo has gone 4-6, 7-5, 6-5, 15-0, 15-0, and 12-1 so far this year. Heritage has gone 12-2, 13-1, 8-3, 4-7, 8-5, 12-1(this year, so far) since he left. I'm sure he's a good coach, but the run of athletes he's had is crazy. Will be interesting to see how Appo performs once these kids are gone. An article about his history is below.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/high_school/relying-on-faith-smith-thriving-with-raiders/article_205a2264-305a-502c-941e-1dcc98ed8717.html

17 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

That's unfortunate. Mitchell Stadium was just like this till a few years ago. Old concrete stadium. They had to make improvemens for accessible seatingon both sides. Honestly watching a game from a track and the only view you get is the backsides of players, coaches, and fans isn't much of an experience. 

Don't take this as a slam towards you or anyone else on here. Maybe this is an issue that may be corrected in the future with the right leadership.

The leadership at the school would attack this if it were able. The town of big stone owns bullitt park. Town council would have to vote and budget for upgrades. I’m all for that. Don’t get me wrong please. The town is currently installing a youth baseball complex for tourneys soon. I pray that money generated from that could improve seating at Bullitt Park. 

11 minutes ago, SXSW said:

They have the things called hotels that are for spending the night in away from home, I am sure Appomattox has one rented somewhere near by. They will not have to leave Appo at 3:30 am and make the four trip to Bullitt Park and get off the bus and play the game. Bullitt Park is intimidating to play in, and will be loud, but I don't think Appomattox is scared at all. I hope that the game is welled played and both teams leave to BS at home and most of all that the officiating crew gets control of the game and doesn't want to be the stars of it.

Oh, thank you for bringing me into the present with the hotel description, I though that was a futuristic thing.  What most have know from travel over the years is that teenagers have a tendency to stay up long hours and enjoy the freedom from parents and coaches, playing games and having fun.  It happens all the time.  A team that travels (even if they stay in one of those things you call a hotel) doesn't get the same rest they would if they were home in their own bed without fellow players around.  SO YES travel does make a difference!!!; that's why it is so concerning with coaches when their team has to travel.

37 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

Just a thought Re: concrete bleachers.  RIchlands has concrete bleachers and they took out about a 10 foot section of metal railing at the 50 yard line and installed a 4'x15-20' platform on the front of the stands.  If the aisle on the front of the bleachers is too narrow for a wheelchair, maybe put a platform at the top of the current ramp leading to home side.  Just a thought. 

Side Note: Not sure if Bullitts track is used for meets.  Richlands is and the platform did eliminate two running lanes (I think)

9 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

May already have been published on the board, (forgive me if it has) but for us who have to work Saturday--what radio station can we listen to game?????

waxm.com is supposed to be covering it this week according to one of their employee's twitter page.

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

Oh, thank you for bringing me into the present with the hotel description, I though that was a futuristic thing.  What most have know from travel over the years is that teenagers have a tendency to stay up long hours and enjoy the freedom from parents and coaches, playing games and having fun.  It happens all the time.  A team that travels (even if they stay in one of those things you call a hotel) doesn't get the same rest they would if they were home in their own bed without fellow players around.  SO YES travel does make a difference!!!; that's why it is so concerning with coaches when their team has to travel.

Or you could just do what Gate City did the last time they played in Salem for a State Title in 2010, they traveled that morning and played the game that afternoon, no hotel bill and no freedom from parents and a State Title to boot.

Union_fan...Is there anyway you or someone could help Mv91? He is a great fan and even better person. I don't have any idea how much anybody could do there to help. You would love meeting him and even watching the game with him. Forgive me if I'm out of place by asking. Just thought I would try... thanks

14 minutes ago, BlueRazor said:

Union_fan...Is there anyway you or someone could help Mv91? He is a great fan and even better person. I don't have any idea how much anybody could do there to help. You would love meeting him and even watching the game with him. Forgive me if I'm out of place by asking. Just thought I would try... thanks

I sent you a PM. We'll see if we can figure something out.

5 WIDE, let the LB's try to tackle MITCHELL one on one???if the corners fly up, and they will dump the ball to JENKINS,OWENS, or any of the rest for a 10 yard gain....works for TOM BRADY, AND IT WILL CONFUSE APPO for a while , then go to QUALLS under center in a fullhouse and 3 and 4 yard them to death

20 hours ago, BearDawg said:

Union fell behind at letcher county a couple times I. The first half. Our first game without Turner under center. But they rallied and found their resolve and hammered them the second half. Shit down and very good passing qb with speedy WRs also. I’d rather not be behind though lol. 

C'mon man that's not even in same realm lol. Union knew they could crush LCC, they just had to tighten up. There was very little pressure. Now, there's pressure out the wazoo. Union has proven to be mentally tough, but I'm sure the players remember last year. If Union can start fast it's moot, but if not I hope they don't start getting tight and pressing.

50 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I sent you a PM. We'll see if we can figure something out.

Thanks man for trying to help out Mv91 is a fantastic fan and he deserves all the help you can give him with the seating arrangement.  I know he would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it, a stand up guy all the way. I appreciated how all us SWVA fans come together to support each other when we play (outsiders) someone other than each other.  Thanks Man.

42 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

C'mon man that's not even in same realm lol. Union knew they could crush LCC, they just had to tighten up. There was very little pressure. Now, there's pressure out the wazoo. Union has proven to be mentally tough, but I'm sure the players remember last year. If Union can start fast it's moot, but if not I hope they don't start getting tight and pressing.

I agree. You stated what I was going for. Their resolve has been tested. Yeah they were confident at lcc. But six players didn’t dress that game either. Adversity overcame. That’s the only reason for lcc being mentioned. Travis has not forgot last year. He’s a Turner. Adjustments will be made. I bet he’s watch tons of film to ensure last year doesn’t repeat itself. 

Look at what GC did with Gretna in 2010. Three years after the 52-0 beat down in 07. The seniors on that team were freshmen in 07. 

GC kept getting those 3-4 yard gains. They were methodical and took a lot of time. They converted 4th downs. It killed Gretna’s will. 

2 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

5 WIDE, let the LB's try to tackle MITCHELL one on one???if the corners fly up, and they will dump the ball to JENKINS,OWENS, or any of the rest for a 10 yard gain....works for TOM BRADY, AND IT WILL CONFUSE APPO for a while , then go to QUALLS under center in a fullhouse and 3 and 4 yard them to death

I hope you are right! However I keep thinking about a 4-7 Team that held the bears to 6 points through almost 4 quarters. 13 points won’t win this game!