The rematch: Appomattox @ Union

CriticalNoise

3 hours ago, PV2VT said:

if every team in region d wants to bring a noise maker and a crowd by all means come on down. I'd love to pack Bullit Park with reps from everywhere to support the bears with loud noise makers!

This Richlands fan will be there with my big mouth and my Blue Tornado Cowbell yelling "Go Bears"!!!!

Appomattox seems like a great community. The way they came together when tragedy struck was very inspiring. 

However, there seems to be a great degree of arrogance and pettiness among the fan base. I think the fan base is a bit spoiled from recent success and it seems as if there is a sense of entitlement.

On the Facebook feed, I read messages that Glenvar’s Band was too loud. Appomattox didn’t even bring their band, which I heard would have been missing a lot of members due to Thanksgiving. I didn’t hear the Glenvar band in the feed. They may have been noisy. Nothing wrong with that. If you cannot handle Glenvar’s band, then you are going to be in for it at Bullitt Park. You also haven’t been to Legion Field when Gate City has been a powerhouse. 

Also on Facebook, I read where people were complaining that area fan bases were coming to make noise and that it was bullying. Noisy fans don’t come anywhere close to bullying. You clearly haven’t watched most SEC games or even some ACC games like Virginia Tech, though I don’t like Tech. 

I predict Union wins 28-21. I stand by my prediction. Union may very well lose. After all, this is Appomattox. The difference between this year and last year is:

1. Union has what it takes to win. 

2. It is at Bullitt Park. Union has a 28 game home win streak. Yes streaks can be broken. That clearly includes Appo’s reign. That can be broken. 

I watched some video on APPO just now ,they will run a 5/2 set on D and go 1 on 1 on wide outs.Thats what they ran against GILES and GLENVAR,WE WILL HAVE TO WIN SOME ONE ON ONE LINE MATCH UPS,.I also see JEB going both ways at times if needed and our wide outs have to hold their blocks longer. 

9 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

I watched some video on APPO just now ,they will run a 5/2 set on D and go 1 on 1 on wide outs.Thats what they ran against GILES and GLENVAR,WE WILL HAVE TO WIN SOME ONE ON ONE LINE MATCH UPS,.I also see JEB going both ways at times if needed and our wide outs have to hold their blocks longer. 

That 5:2 front is what has me concerned the most. We are going to have to seal the edge when in the T formation. Last couple of weeks we have missed some key blocks on the edge that led to 3 yard gains that could have been 10 yard gains. Our wideouts and pull blockers will have to play good mistake free football. I think in my humble opinion, that trap plays off the center and guards will be our best bet. I would hit Zirkle up the open gap as much as possible if I were play calling. Not going to lie, I am actually concerned this week. you can look back on my posts and I have never doubted my bears but this game is giving me butterflies

6 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Nope

Shupe.jpg

The context of the post I quoted had to do with SWVA bringing something to support Union on Saturday.

No disrespect intended to JJ Kelly. They had one hell of a run, but they don't exist anymore. Currently, VHS is the top baseball program in the area, and it's not even close.

2 hours ago, PV2VT said:

That 5:2 front is what has me concerned the most. We are going to have to seal the edge when in the T formation. Last couple of weeks we have missed some key blocks on the edge that led to 3 yard gains that could have been 10 yard gains. Our wideouts and pull blockers will have to play good mistake free football. I think in my humble opinion, that trap plays off the center and guards will be our best bet. I would hit Zirkle up the open gap as much as possible if I were play calling. Not going to lie, I am actually concerned this week. you can look back on my posts and I have never doubted my bears but this game is giving me butterflies

A 50 defense can be trapped to death inside.  High School kids should be able to block a 5 man front with relative ease because it is the first defense they are taught to block as young kids.  Adding a 3rd LB requires adjustment, but as far as assignments go, a 5 man front is much less confusing for a typical player than a 4 man front with a bunch of wheeling and dealing going on.

I think on defense for Union the linebacker play will be exceptional and give them a great chance to win. 45 Kennedy and 23 Bryce Lane have had a heck of a year and have only gotten better in the playoffs. 12 Zirkle is no slouch either. 

12 hours ago, BlueRazor said:

This Richlands fan will be there with my big mouth and my Blue Tornado Cowbell yelling "Go Bears"!!!!

Hey Razor,  I wont be able to make the game for health reasons so I hope you and the other Blues supporters that are going down for the game will please make a little extra noise for me !!  Go get em Bears and play for a ring in Salem !  All of SWVA will be pulling hard for you guys !  I got mad respect for what Appo has accomplished over the last few years !  They have had some great athletes and they have been well coached and good fan support,  but it's time to bring the championship back to far Southwest Virginia !

GO BEARS !

1 hour ago, Bigrhsfan said:

Hey Razor,  I wont be able to make the game for health reasons so I hope you and the other Blues supporters that are going down for the game will please make a little extra noise for me !!  Go get em Bears and play for a ring in Salem !  All of SWVA will be pulling hard for you guys !  I got mad respect for what Appo has accomplished over the last few years !  They have had some great athletes and they have been well coached and good fan support,  but it's time to bring the championship back to far Southwest Virginia !

GO BEARS !

No one appreciates my unbiased opinion. You can rest assured that Appo. Is not coming to far southwest Va. to lose. I hope someone will express to the bears players that they are going to be in a ‘dog fight’ start to finish.  Appo. Has lost one game to a AAA Heritage team that is still in State AAA playoffs. You can make all the noise you want I will be helping, and have our late entrance on the field my guess Appo. Will be in locker room won’t be moved by the hype! I want to see Appo. Knocked off the TOP! The bear offense isn’t hard to figure out. Run James wide to the right, and then run him wide to the left!! Some on here sound like Appo. is already beat no need in even coming to the Park. This game isn’t going to be a cake walk for the bears!!! I’ll not say anymore! Go Bears!!

3 minutes ago, T52OS said:

No one appreciates my unbiased opinion. You can rest assured that Appo. Is not coming to far southwest Va. to lose. I hope someone will express to the bears players that they are going to be in a ‘dog fight’ start to finish.  Appo. Has lost one game to a AAA Heritage team that is still in State AAA playoffs. You can make all the noise you want I will be helping, and have our late entrance on the field my guess Appo. Will be in locker room won’t be moved by the hype! I want to see Appo. Knocked off the TOP! The bear offense isn’t hard to figure out. Run James wide to the right, and then run him wide to the left!! Some on here sound like Appo. is already beat no need in even coming to the Park. This game isn’t going to be a cake walk for the bears!!! I’ll not say anymore! Go Bears!!

I don't think too many on the board have stated that Appo is an easy out, and I can tell you that all Richlands fans respect the heck out of Appo and their program, but I for one think that the ""BEARS"" have a good formula for beating Appo.  Yes, we are all pulling for Union, or SWVA remaining team, but we're not saying its going to be a cake walk.  We know it will be a big task to take Appo down, but we also know how determined Union is and feel that this is their year, that's why we're still posting on this board even after our team is out, to support our end of the State. GO BEARS!!!!!

2 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

A 50 defense can be trapped to death inside.  High School kids should be able to block a 5 man front with relative ease because it is the first defense they are taught to block as young kids.  Adding a 3rd LB requires adjustment, but as far as assignments go, a 5 man front is much less confusing for a typical player than a 4 man front with a bunch of wheeling and dealing going on.

That's what im hopping for. I like the trap against nose guards and tight line formations because of blocking schemes being easier. I just hope we can contain on the outside blocks, that to me is where we have struggled the most in the post season. I 100% agree with you about line blocking and trapping a 5 man front. The only dangerous part with a 5 man front is trying the outside without containing the edge.

13 minutes ago, T52OS said:

Simple question. Have you even seen the bears offense? We run more than just James. Heck Owens has more post season yards than Mitchell. Zirkle gets plenty of touches up the middle too. the more you type on here the more im certain you have only watched the Bears play once and that was against what ever team you pull for. Im assuming the walmart warriors lol

39 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

That's what im hopping for. I like the trap against nose guards and tight line formations because of blocking schemes being easier. I just hope we can contain on the outside blocks, that to me is where we have struggled the most in the post season. I 100% agree with you about line blocking and trapping a 5 man front. The only dangerous part with a 5 man front is trying the outside without containing the edge.

When in the T, Union can't let the DE be "right", regardless of any decision he makes.  That said, I think they are better and more potent with 82 taking the snaps.  In the wildcat, they definitely have to seal the edges and get someone on the LBs to hinder their pursuit.  Tight splits should be to Union's advantage as well.  Without going into details, Union has run a few plays this year that will punish over pursuit, and I expect we will see them early and often.  IMO, Union should be able to move the ball on the ground...the challenge for them is to limit big plays.  If that happens, I expect it to be a dogfight in the 4th.

56 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

By now everyoe probably thinks I'm a crazy old fart for going back to this time and time again, but GROUND & POUND, BALL CONTROL, CLOCK CONTROL, 4 DOWNS & A CLOUD OF DUST, MOVE THE CHAINS, MOVE THE CHAINS.  The way to stop Graves & Appo is to keep the ball out of their hands, GROUND & POUND, EAT CLOCK, SCORE, OVER, & OVER, & OVER AGAIN>

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

By now everyoe probably thinks I'm a crazy old fart for going back to this time and time again, but GROUND & POUND, BALL CONTROL, CLOCK CONTROL, 4 DOWNS & A CLOUD OF DUST, MOVE THE CHAINS, MOVE THE CHAINS.  The way to stop Graves & Appo is to keep the ball out of their hands, GROUND & POUND, EAT CLOCK, SCORE, OVER, & OVER, & OVER AGAIN>

Nope, I agree 100%.

2 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

When in the T, Union can't let the DE be "right", regardless of any decision he makes.  That said, I think they are better and more potent with 82 taking the snaps.  In the wildcat, they definitely have to seal the edges and get someone on the LBs to hinder their pursuit.  Tight splits should be to Union's advantage as well.  Without going into details, Union has run a few plays this year that will punish over pursuit, and I expect we will see them early and often.  IMO, Union should be able to move the ball on the ground...the challenge for them is to limit big plays.  If that happens, I expect it to be a dogfight in the 4th.

I hope we stay out of the T unless absolutely necessary. I feel like Unions better off with Mitchell touching the ball every snap and using the motions to slow down the defense.

12 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Does anyone know if Appos kicker graduated.  Seems like we started every drive on the 20.

If our defense takes care of business like usual, the kicker won’t be able to pin us back but once ?

I guess yall didnt get the memo about the kicker. Jamerson graduated last year and plays for U of Charleston as starting punter. We have a solid kicker just as good or even better that can BANG!!!!! He will hit a FG from 50 if they put him out here. He is a transfer from a private school in area (Fuqua). He is only a Junior. Dont worry...the 80 yard drives will still happen. This kid is amazing and probably going to be highly recruited next year. 

16 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

90% sure he's back. 

13 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I was hoping he was gone its hard to go 80 yards every drive

1 minute ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

I guess yall didnt get the memo about the kicker. Jamerson graduated last year and plays for U of Charleston as starting punter. We have a solid kicker just as good or even better that can BANG!!!!! He will hit a FG from 50 if they put him out here. He is a transfer from a private school in area (Fuqua). He is only a Junior. Dont worry...the 80 yard drives will still happen. This kid is amazing and probably going to be highly recruited next year. 

We can run more clock going 80 yards