The rematch: Appomattox @ Union

CriticalNoise

51 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Seems odd that the VHSL would have made this change.

Especially this late. I know that last year there was a fuss about Blacksburg and SR having to travel 4-5 hours away when the schools were only an hour and a half apart from each other.  

I tell ya what I would like to see for 2A. Each region has a nice field that can be played on so why don't we rotate every 4 years? Region D could use UVA Wise, C could keep Salem if they so choose to, Im sure one of the colleges in A and B would rent out there fields for VHSL playoffs. Either that or go back to power points host all the way through.

7 minutes ago, Union's hammer said:

Just talked to Unions AD Mr. Goforth and asked him about the Giles train horn he said if they want to bring it. Tell then to come on with it. Just had to be on Unions side he will be getting Lee Highs train horn as well all we need now is the 1 from Gate City.

Also worth noting Thor's hammer has received some upgrades. 

Fun fact I just discovered.  Both 2A semi-finals are being played in a municipal park.  

Robert E. Lee-Staunton's home field is at Gypsy Hill Park. 

I would guess the more politically-correct residents of Staunton are not thrilled about the name of the high school or city park.

On 11/28/2017 at 8:57 PM, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

... Our AD set us up with the scheduling this year with the points. I know this because i was "in the know." He been trying to get out of Appomattox for 3 years.. He has applied for many different schools in the city and nobody wants him. Believe me this is not just me expressing this about him.

He is horrible...I cant wait until somebody swoops him up. It will be a relief. 

Just curious, did Appomattox get points for playing Fork Union Military Academy? If so, how did VHSL calculate this opponent?

11 hours ago, PV2VT said:

This article proves that Union is more than just James. I guess it must me hard to on an island thinking that Union only has 1 good player when literally everybody else knows that Union has a monster backfield made up of different young men who can and has made more plays than Mitchell. Prime example, Marion game. Union put up 49 points in which 0 were scored by Mitchell. Im proud as can be of James. Not many young men would have been willing to sacrifice their position just to help the team. James not only sacrificed being a fulltime wide out/tight end to be a playmaker in the backfield, but he done it knowing that it could hurt his recruiting. Don't get me wrong, James is still going D1 at a wide out/Tight end, but he was not able to pad those position specific stats this season due to injury. Instead, James stepped up as a team player and has lead the Bears to an undefeated number 1 seed team that every single coach that has faced them fears. No couch out there that has stepped on the turf against Union would say that the Bears are a one man show that can't win without that one man. IMO, Owens is by far a better back than James. Qualls is right there at James' level on as a defensive back. and Zirkel is tougher than James between the tackles. With that said, James has the magic touch that makes him special. Hes not the fastest. He cant jump the highest. Hes not the shiftiest. Hes not the strongest. But he is head and shoulders above most because he embodies all of these attributes at a high level. Those that can out jump him may not be able to catch as good as him, or may not be as strong as him. Those who are stronger may not be able to out run him or be as football smart as him. those who are better in coverage on defense may not be able to out jump him or out catch him. James brings a high level, maybe not the highest but high level of everything it takes to be a good ball player. Now you combine James' high level of everything mixed with the other young men's high level in specific areas and you have an offense that cant be stopped. James makes the other player better. He brings competitiveness and drive that all the other players feed off of. You can hate on the bears all you want but I promise you that both Big Stone Gap and Appalachia are proud as can be of James and the Bears.

Not many small towns like we have in our area can boast like region d on the number of athletes we have sent on to the next level. Not many 2A schools can brag about the athletes they have like region d can. We have put people in the pros out of 700 student schools multiple times and placed numerous young men and women into college level sports. Im proud to say that these old dirty abandoned forgotten coalfield towns can make some of the best well rounded athletes in Virginia.

Owens isn't a better back that Mitchell. Not even close. Owens is a great RB, but he's the speed back. He isn't capable of running tough in the middle to gain big yards whereas Mitchell can bang inside for five yards, take a counter for ten years or break off an 80 yarder. He is more versatile than Owens and tougher to tackle.

11 hours ago, T52OS said:

James is a fine young man as the others are also! You missed the whole point!! 

Also Qualls isn't on same level as a DB compared to Mitchell. He is a good corner and has made some fantastic plays but he can also be caught out of position and be burnt at times. 

2 hours ago, Union's hammer said:

Just talked to Unions AD Mr. Goforth and asked him about the Giles train horn he said if they want to bring it. Tell then to come on with it. Just had to be on Unions side he will be getting Lee Highs train horn as well all we need now is the 1 from Gate City.

?

5 hours ago, PV2VT said:

I tell ya what I would like to see for 2A. Each region has a nice field that can be played on so why don't we rotate every 4 years? Region D could use UVA Wise, C could keep Salem if they so choose to, Im sure one of the colleges in A and B would rent out there fields for VHSL playoffs. Either that or go back to power points host all the way through.

UVA Wise would need to build a bigger stadium to host a state championship game. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Owens isn't a better back that Mitchell. Not even close. Owens is a great RB, but he's the speed back. He isn't capable of running tough in the middle to gain big yards whereas Mitchell can bang inside for five yards, take a counter for ten years or break off an 80 yarder. He is more versatile than Owens and tougher to tackle.

Very proud of this team

On 11/29/2017 at 12:30 PM, Bigrhsfan said:

Hey Razor,  I wont be able to make the game for health reasons so I hope you and the other Blues supporters that are going down for the game will please make a little extra noise for me !!  Go get em Bears and play for a ring in Salem !  All of SWVA will be pulling hard for you guys !  I got mad respect for what Appo has accomplished over the last few years !  They have had some great athletes and they have been well coached and good fan support,  but it's time to bring the championship back to far Southwest Virginia !

GO BEARS !

Hey BigRhs... Me and Ryan will make plenty of noise for you. Wish you could go and watch with us. If nothing don't change me and Ryan are going to sit with some of the Union posters here. They have been kind enough to allow us to sit with them. Looking forward to it.

14 minutes ago, BlueRazor said:

Hey BigRhs... Me and Ryan will make plenty of noise for you. Wish you could go and watch with us. If nothing don't change me and Ryan are going to sit with some of the Union posters here. They have been kind enough to allow us to sit with them. Looking forward to it.

Are you guys coming early enough to enjoy the fire pit and corn hole.

Thanks Razor,  wish I could go,  I would love to be there with you guys watching this game !  I am just not able to make the trip and sit in stands.  Nothing too serious,  just enough to keep me from going.

I believe it could be a heck of a game !  Hope you guys have a safe ride down and have a great time !  GO BEARS !!

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Also Qualls isn't on same level as a DB compared to Mitchell. He is a good corner and has made some fantastic plays but he can also be caught out of position and be burnt at times. 

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I think u may want to look at the numbers.  Owens has more rushing yards this post season and qualls has more ints this post season. If u read the whole post James brings a high level at all the points as to where the other young men may be better at one or two things but not near as rounded. Just saying by the numbers, the stats show they are better at one to two things. Owens is faster and has more yards than James which makes him the better back.  qualls has more picks and passes defended which makes him right there with James as a db. Qualls may not be as good but he isn't far behind James. Point blank. Our backfield has a kid that is faster than James with more yards this post season and another db that has more picks this post season and maybe even this season. That tells me that Owens is the better running back and Qualls is right behind James as a Dd.  hints the reason James is being recruited as a tightend and not a Db or running back

8 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

I think u may want to look at the numbers.  Owens has more rushing yards this post season and qualls has more ints this post season. If u read the whole post James brings a high level at all the points as to where the other young men may be better at one or two things but not near as rounded. Just saying by the numbers, the stats show they are better at one to two things. Owens is faster and has more yards than James which makes him the better back.  qualls has more picks and passes defended which makes him right there with James as a db. Qualls may not be as good but he isn't far behind James. Point blank. Our backfield has a kid that is faster than James with more yards this post season and another db that has more picks this post season and maybe even this season. That tells me that Owens is the better running back and Qualls is right behind James as a Dd.  hints the reason James is being recruited as a tightend and not a Db or running back

I could care less what the numbers say. Numbers lie. Watch the film. Mitchell can do everything as a runner, whereas Owens is primarily used on the edges and never between the tackles. Mitchell can get bruising yards up the gut while still being able to get outside on designed outside runs and go yard. Owens doesn't have 82s versatility. 

James is being recruited as a TE because he is 6'4. Where are all these schools lining up to offer Owens scholarships to D1 schools?

On the DB point, Qualls has more INTs (not by much) because teams avoid throwing at James like the plague. I'm not downing either player, but to anyone who has watched Union thks season, they see it's clear Mitchell is by far the best DB and he's also the best runner this year.

Jordan Howard has more rushing yards than Leonard Fournette and Melvin Gordon, is Howard better than those two? Kareem Hunt has more rush yards than Todd Gurley, is he better?

Kevin Byard leads NFL in INTs, is he a better DB than Jalen Ramsey, Janoris Jenkins and Marcus Peters?

No, and it's not even close.