The rematch: Appomattox @ Union

CriticalNoise

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Owens isn't a better back that Mitchell. Not even close. Owens is a great RB, but he's the speed back. He isn't capable of running tough in the middle to gain big yards whereas Mitchell can bang inside for five yards, take a counter for ten years or break off an 80 yarder. He is more versatile than Owens and tougher to tackle.

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Also Qualls isn't on same level as a DB compared to Mitchell. He is a good corner and has made some fantastic plays but he can also be caught out of position and be burnt at times. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I am too, very much so. And in no way was I downing Dakota or Qualls. But they aren't as talented at Mitchell, whether it's as a runner or DB.

1 hour ago, PV2VT said:

I think u may want to look at the numbers.  Owens has more rushing yards this post season and qualls has more ints this post season. If u read the whole post James brings a high level at all the points as to where the other young men may be better at one or two things but not near as rounded. Just saying by the numbers, the stats show they are better at one to two things. Owens is faster and has more yards than James which makes him the better back.  qualls has more picks and passes defended which makes him right there with James as a db. Qualls may not be as good but he isn't far behind James. Point blank. Our backfield has a kid that is faster than James with more yards this post season and another db that has more picks this post season and maybe even this season. That tells me that Owens is the better running back and Qualls is right behind James as a Dd.  hints the reason James is being recruited as a tightend and not a Db or running back

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

I could care less what the numbers say. Numbers lie. Watch the film. Mitchell can do everything as a runner, whereas Owens is primarily used on the edges and never between the tackles. Mitchell can get bruising yards up the gut while still being able to get outside on designed outside runs and go yard. Owens doesn't have 82s versatility. 

James is being recruited as a TE because he is 6'4. Where are all these schools lining up to offer Owens scholarships to D1 schools?

On the DB point, Qualls has more INTs (not by much) because teams avoid throwing at James like the plague. I'm not downing either player, but to anyone who has watched Union thks season, they see it's clear Mitchell is by far the best DB and he's also the best runner this year.

I think in the long run, we could all agree that Mitchell makes Owens better and vice versa.  Same with James and Qualls.  What has made this years Union team so deadly is they are not a group of good athletes.  They are a sum of all parts.  A unit, a team.  Battling of each other and having the next man up attitude.  Each of the formentioned players could easily be the stud for several teams in the Region D.  But their team oriented and understand that the "we" is bigger than the "me". 

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Jets WR Ryan Anderson has more TDs than Julio Jones and AJ Green, he must be a better WR. Marvin Jones Jr. is second in NFL in TD catches, he must be second best WR.

thats jus dumb to even bring up the nfl on a highschool forum. i think james is the best overall athlete on the team but hes not the best at every position. the all make each other better. ive seen every game and i think owens is the best back. we dont really know if he can run between the tackles cause hes not really used that way. i think if he was asked to do that he would be successful.

5 hours ago, The U Bear said:

thats jus dumb to even bring up the nfl on a highschool forum. i think james is the best overall athlete on the team but hes not the best at every position. the all make each other better. ive seen every game and i think owens is the best back. we dont really know if he can run between the tackles cause hes not really used that way. i think if he was asked to do that he would be successful.

I think Mitchel, Owens, and all the other Union players would tell everyone that it is not about who the best player is on the team, its the team that counts.  To this day I don't see the letter "i" in the word team.  They are outstanding players on this team, but what has got Union this far is the team effort, and that is what will win this game, TEAM EFFORT!!

GO BEARS!!!1

5 hours ago, The U Bear said:

That is my point exactly. 

24 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

I think Mitchel, Owens, and all the other Union players would tell everyone that it is not about who the best player is on the team, its the team that counts.  To this day I don't see the letter "i" in the word team.  They are outstanding players on this team, but what has got Union this far is the team effort, and that is what will win this game, TEAM EFFORT!!

GO BEARS!!!1

Union has been playing as a team too. While James is the most talented player on the team, he is very clearly not the whole team as some want to believe. 

I love how Union is playing as a team. Owens, Zirkle, Jenkins, and Mitchell are very good weapons to use. 

Again my point is proven.  As I've stated before this team is playing as a full unit and the fact is James is our most well rounded athlete but it has been shown in stats that he is not our entire team. A good example of one kid being the entire team in my opinion would be Heath Miller at Honaker. He was the qb and linebacker that beat Powell Valley  single handed in the playoffs. But this year's union team is playing as an 11 man unit with a d1 talent that is NOT the entire team. 

15 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Did someone say that Lee is bringing a train horn?

Yep, Hammer did. Theirs isn't like Giles' though. It's on a little cart. Kinda looks like 6000 or so watt generator.

Would love to have yours too! :)

16 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Yep, Hammer did. Theirs isn't like Giles' though. It's on a little cart. Kinda looks like 6000 or so watt generator.

Would love to have yours too! :)

Giles just has there's on a 2000w generator and small air compressor for away games but it's still very loud due to the fact that its a legit horn off a locomotive and not an ebay special(not downing people that use ebay as I do myself quite often lol)

23 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I just found out that if Union wins they will play at Salem. If Appomattox wins, they will play at William and Mary to help with travel cost. If Staunton River beats Heritage, they will play at Salem on Friday night. I find this kind of strange.

It's actually a good idea but if union and richlands had played for state we wouldn't have gotten the same kindness.

50 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

It's actually a good idea but if union and richlands had played for state we wouldn't have gotten the same kindness.

VHSL thinks Virginia ends in the Roanoke Valley area, always has, always will.  Do't care if SWVA teams have to travel, but heaven forbid anyone from Roanoke or eastward having to travel.  The only time SWVA is recognized by VHSL is when a team from SWVA beats a team from the Roanoke Valley or eastward, which has always been the case.

12 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

VHSL thinks Virginia ends in the Roanoke Valley area, always has, always will.  Do't care if SWVA teams have to travel, but heaven forbid anyone from Roanoke or eastward having to travel.  The only time SWVA is recognized by VHSL is when a team from SWVA beats a team from the Roanoke Valley or eastward, which has always been the case.

It's not only the vhsl but everyone out east thinks that.  I lived near hopewell for five years and when I explained were I was from everyone thought I was from west va.

I NEVER SAID James was the best player at every position, I just correctly stated that Mitchell is the better runner bc of his versatility. He doesn't have the speed Owens does but he can break off long runs and get tough yards up middle. Owens is a great runner but he's used on the outside whereas James does it inside and out.

10 hours ago, The U Bear said:

You're lying. Until Owens got fully recovered, he was not a great runner. Owens wouldn't be as successful running inside because he isn't as strong as 82. His best asset is his speed.

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I NEVER SAID James was the best player at every position, I just correctly stated that Mitchell is the better runner bc of his versatility. He doesn't have the speed Owens does but he can break off long runs and get tough yards up middle. Owens is a great runner but he's used on the outside whereas James does it inside and out.

I will agree with this statement. James is more versatile. He has more than proven that. He can play any position asked. Owens is faster and has put up more yards this post season than James and to me that makes him the better back. I may be wrong but if a young man has more yards on less attempts then he is better at that position. James is our best overall athlete and that is without question. That is why he is being recruited so heavily, but IMO Owens is a better back. James is just as capable of breaking off big runs (which he does in most games) but the stats don't lie.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

It's not only the vhsl but everyone out east thinks that.  I lived near hopewell for five years and when I explained were I was from everyone thought I was from west va.

I remember the first time Richlands played at Liberty U, the ticket takers ask where Richlands was located.  When I explained in SWVA, they ask me where that was? College kids, go figure.

33 minutes ago, Blue 72 said:

I remember the first time Richlands played at Liberty U, the ticket takers ask where Richlands was located.  When I explained in SWVA, they ask me where that was? College kids, go figure.

It is like we don't exist down here. What is so special about the rest of VA anyways? Despite the 7 cities, the rest of VA is just like us. Little towns full of hard working people. Ive traveled all over VA and like I said despite the 7 cities VA is very rural.

1 hour ago, PV2VT said:

I will agree with this statement. James is more versatile. He has more than proven that. He can play any position asked. Owens is faster and has put up more yards this post season than James and to me that makes him the better back. I may be wrong but if a young man has more yards on less attempts then he is better at that position. James is our best overall athlete and that is without question. That is why he is being recruited so heavily, but IMO Owens is a better back. James is just as capable of breaking off big runs (which he does in most games) but the stats don't lie.

Stats can be deceiving man I've said that repeatedly. Just bc one player has better numbers doesn't make him the better back. 

28 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

It is like we don't exist down here. What is so special about the rest of VA anyways? Despite the 7 cities, the rest of VA is just like us. Little towns full of hard working people. Ive traveled all over VA and like I said despite the 7 cities VA is very rural.

Not sure what 7 cities you mean but to be honest there is only 3 general areas that make up or should I say make decisions for the state.  Northern VA, Hampton Roads area and Richmond area.

14 minutes ago, Falcon Mania said:

Not sure what 7 cities you mean but to be honest there is only 3 general areas that make up or should I say make decisions for the state.  Northern VA, Hampton Roads area and Richmond area.

The coast is known as 7 Cities. I think it includes Richmond area in it, but youre exactly right NOVA and the coast decides Virginia's elections and everything that matters.

22 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Stats can be deceiving man I've said that repeatedly. Just bc one player has better numbers doesn't make him the better back. 

I can kind of agree with ya there too. their is many variables that stats don't measure.

Just gonna throw out my thoughts on this game. With the rushing yards appo has given up in the past two games I don’t believe they can’t stop the U. But I also believe it will be difficult for union to stop all of appos weapons they present and the triple option plays they run are difficult for any defense to stop. But at this point in the season unions defense is lights out and I believe they will cause the only turnover of the game giving them the win 27-21 bear roll