The rematch: Appomattox @ Union

CriticalNoise

5 minutes ago, BlueRazor said:

I want to first give a big thanks to Union_fan. Me and Ryan were the beneficiaries of great seats at the game thanks to him and his family. Really enjoyed there kindness and the great game. Also got to meet Unions_ Hammer and he was a great guy. 

The call before half on the punt was a back breaker. Truly a terrible call. Unions fight in the second half was just awesome. Then the crowd got really pumped and it was as loud of an atmosphere as you will ever hear at a High School football game. 

I agree with the other post on the play of Appos defensive tackles in the first half. They were quick and good tacklers. Union did a great job in the second half and really dominated from the seconds half on. Appos speed and tackling was impressive.

The difference in the game was the call before half and the special teams on return coverage. Also Owens missing the catch where Mitchell dropped it right in his hands.

Great game to watch. Great fans and perfect weather. I just wish the final score was different. I wrung my cowbell so much I have three blisters on my fingers...lol. 

Thanks again Union_fan and Unions_hammer. We had a great time

Anytime guys! Pleasure meeting you and Ryan and enjoyed having you.

Agree with everything you said here.

Glad you had a good time, and we appreciated your support today!

28 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

Here is a piece of advice for you:

Don’t ever become a sports analyst. You are too inept at it. 

Also, don’t lecture anyone from Union about class, or the perceived lack thereof, seeing as you neither have wit nor class. 

You guys have shown your true colors when someone doesn’t agree with you, and tell you how great you are! I hope the folks that read these post remember! I didn’t attack anyone personally.

You guys can blame me for the loss. I watched the lady from Appomattox's FB stream until halftime when it's 20-0. Then I started watching the UGA Auburn game and lost track of time and when I turned the live stream back on it was 20-14 and Union had the ball.. I seen 2 plays and they punted. I must've killed the momentum

2 minutes ago, EH31 said:

You guys can blame me for the loss. I watched the lady from Appomattox's FB stream until halftime when it's 20-0. Then I started watching the UGA Auburn game and lost track of time and when I turned the live stream back on it was 20-14 and Union had the ball.. I seen 2 plays and they punted. I must've killed the momentum

Way to go Empty Head! ? Sorry I had to!

4 hours ago, T52OS said:

Congrats to Appomattox.  Congrats to the bears we’ve had a great season , and honestly we shouldn’t have even been in this game. Richland had us beat then just handed it over to us. We had a great season nothing to hang your head over. I didn’t think one dimensional with not True QB could win . The bears finally to make a game out of it though. 

This shart stain is a nothing but a troll. Three different posts he referred to Richland. It's Richlands, and you'd know that if you were really from Union.  

3 hours ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:
I want to say congrats on a heck of a season. started off slow and without the Punt Return....well.....

Yalls O didnt surprise me a bit. I saw that coming and we was going to let a few big banger plays go like Mitchells TD run. What surprised me the most was the D. yalls D held their own and got through on our line at will. Scruggs could not throw the ball because he didnt have time. Great showing by Union, but Im proud of our boys going down to Bullit Park that was loud and proud of their team and coming out with win. 28 game winning streak is something to be proud of. Yall defended streak well. 

Mitchell is going to be good but I know he was out of position and that is not his game, but he did it well tonight and tried his best. He did show that he will be a great player on next level...hope he goes to Tech. 

Hope all my Appo fam, players, and SWVA fans get back home safe. Looking forward to many more battles in future. 
3 hours ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:
I want to say congrats on a heck of a season. started off slow and without the Punt Return....well.....

Yalls O didnt surprise me a bit. I saw that coming and we was going to let a few big banger plays go like Mitchells TD run. What surprised me the most was the D. yalls D held their own and got through on our line at will. Scruggs could not throw the ball because he didnt have time. Great showing by Union, but Im proud of our boys going down to Bullit Park that was loud and proud of their team and coming out with win. 28 game winning streak is something to be proud of. Yall defended streak well. 

Mitchell is going to be good but I know he was out of position and that is not his game, but he did it well tonight and tried his best. He did show that he will be a great player on next level...hope he goes to Tech. 

Hope all my Appo fam, players, and SWVA fans get back home safe. Looking forward to many more battles in future. 

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you flat out told me several times Mitchell couldn't outrun Graves. Today proved that he can on his long TD run.

Scruggs and the interior DL deserve a lot of credit. They were very very good. Scruggs and Mitchell were clearly best players on field today.

1 hour ago, T52OS said:

You guys have shown your true colors when someone doesn’t agree with you, and tell you how great you are! I hope the folks that read these post remember! I didn’t attack anyone personally.

Just go away

13 hours ago, trumpet1988 said:

I would have killed to have been there. 

Me Too,  I watched as much as I could ( with the twitter feed )  and kept up with what was going on in the game on here,  but I was heart broken I couldn't be there in person and be a part of, and take in the atmosphere !  I love College football and the NFL........but not to the same extent as college,  but to me,  there is nothing like a great high school football atmosphere,  especially at places like Bullit Park, and Gate City, Ernie hicks and a number of other places around our area !

Scoring and Stats from Bristol Herald Courier

SCORING

AC - Holland 2 run (Farris kick)

AC - Ellis 64 punt return (Farris kick)

AC - Scruggs 2 run (kick blocked)

U - Zirkle 1 run (Falin kick)

U - Mitchell 65 run (Falin kick)

AC - Farris 23 FG

U - Collins 14 pass from Mitchell (kicked failed)

TEAM STATS

First Downs -  AC 11, U 15

Rushes-Yards - AC 38- 199, U 41-245

Passing Yards - AC 86, U 44

C-A-I -  AC 8-13-1, U 5-12-1

Fumbles-Lost - AC 1-0, U 1-0

Penalties-Yards -  AC 6-45, U 3-25

Punts-Average -  AC 2-37, U 4-27

INDIVIDUAL STATS

RUSHING -   AC - Scruggs 15-64, Bailey 13-61, Shaw 2-58, Holland 9-16;  U -  Mitchell 22-191, Owens 8-33, Zirkle 8-16, Polier 1-8, Qualls 1 (0-1), Jenkins 1 (-2)

PASSING -  AC - Scruggs 8-13-1;  U - Mitchell 5-11-0, Qualls 0-1-1

RECEIVING -  AC - Graves Dews 2-20; Shaw 2-15, Graves 1-29, Perkins 1-14, Callaham 1-4, Bailey 1-4;  U - Owens 2-15, Qualls 2-15, Collins 1-14

I listened to the game and it came in loud and clear in Richlands . I may have missed something and I  would appreciate  clarification ! Did Union try an onside kick that went out of bounds or did they just kick it out of bounds? 

8 minutes ago, ojrussell said:

I listened to the game and it came in loud and clear in Richlands . I may have missed something and I  would appreciate  clarification ! Did Union try an onside kick that went out of bounds or did they just kick it out of bounds? 

Tried an onside that just never got down. 

2 hours ago, Union's hammer said:

After watching game film and seeing the stats of the game. I am not 1 for making excuses but Today I am UNION got robbed point blank. Blast me all you want but anyone who was there could see it unless you are a Appo fan. 

Union played a B game and needed an A- game to win.  The special teams miscues were the difference in a classic clash of titans.  You didn’t get robbed.  You got beat by a more crisply executing team.  Them’s the breaks.

42 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Union played a B game and needed an A- game to win.  The special teams miscues were the difference in a classic clash of titans.  You didn’t get robbed.  You got beat by a more crisply executing team.  Them’s the breaks.

While a couple of calls should have gone the other way, Union just got beat. 

The bad first half hurt them. Union mounted a nice comeback second half. Al Appomattox needed was a TD or FG to ice it. They got the field goal. Union got the answering TD but couldn’t get the onside. 

Special teams was the difference.