The rematch: Appomattox @ Union

CriticalNoise

6 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

While a couple of calls should have gone the other way, Union just got beat. 

The bad first half hurt them. Union mounted a nice comeback second half. Al Appomattox needed was a TD or FG to ice it. They got the field goal. Union got the answering TD but couldn’t get the onside. 

Special teams was the difference. 

I agree... special teams was the difference.

47 minutes ago, Union's hammer said:

I guess no one see the clear hold on a 6'5 James Mitchell on the punt return for 6 my eyes must be playing tricks on me. I agree the special teams was the difference.

I believe that was a huge no call. It happened right in front of us and the ref.

1 hour ago, Union's hammer said:

I guess no one see the clear hold on a 6'5 James Mitchell on the punt return for 6 my eyes must be playing tricks on me. I agree the special teams was the difference.

I didn’t see it because I wasn’t there. Lots of people who were there said it should have been holding and I believe them. I think that is one of the plays that doomed us. 

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Union played a B game and needed an A- game to win.  The special teams miscues were the difference in a classic clash of titans.  You didn’t get robbed.  You got beat by a more crisply executing team.  Them’s the breaks.

The call that went against Union and led to the punt which lead to the Appo TD was a horrendous call and if called correctly, it's 14-0 at the half and Union may have won.

Refs miss calls, I won't harp on the obvious hold that allowed Appo to score on the punt return but the call at the end of the first half was gigantic and did play a big part in the game. 

Appo is a very good team. No doubt there. But if they played 10 times, they likely split 5-5. 

1 hour ago, Union's hammer said:

I saw it, and the ref was right there and didn't call it. It's a shame he stood there watching the Appo player get two handfulls of James jersey with and obviously hold and not call it.

Appo had one sustained TD drive. Union had three. 

This one was/is really hard to swallow. I would have bet everything I have that Union was going to win after James scored to make it 20-14. Everything. A big play that I must give credit to Scruggs happened during the drive where they kicked a field goal to make it a 9 point game. I believe it was 3rd down and he backpedalled, broke two tackles that would have been a 9 or 10 yard loss and then flipped it off to a receiver. This is no disrespect to Appomattox as they executed absolutely perfectly, but I truly believe outside of special teams that Union had the better football team yesterday. Good luck to the raiders, a 3 peat is incredibly impressive no matter what. 

23 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

This one was/is really hard to swallow. I would have bet everything I have that Union was going to win after James scored to make it 20-14. Everything. A big play that I must give credit to Scruggs happened during the drive where they kicked a field goal to make it a 9 point game. I believe it was 3rd down and he backpedalled, broke two tackles that would have been a 9 or 10 yard loss and then flipped it off to a receiver. This is no disrespect to Appomattox as they executed absolutely perfectly, but I truly believe outside of special teams that Union had the better football team yesterday. Good luck to the raiders, a 3 peat is incredibly impressive no matter what. 

I'm surprised this is the first time someone brought that play up. I was watching on the stream and couldn't believe Union couldn't get him on the ground and then a heads up play to flip it to the receiver so he could pick up more yardage.  If union gets the sack Appomattox is likely out of field goal range and Union has another chance down 6 instead of 9. Scruggs made the play of the day on that one. 

17 minutes ago, EH31 said:

I'm surprised this is the first time someone brought that play up. I was watching on the stream and couldn't believe Union couldn't get him on the ground and then a heads up play to flip it to the receiver so he could pick up more yardage.  If union gets the sack Appomattox is likely out of field goal range and Union has another chance down 6 instead of 9. Scruggs made the play of the day on that one. 

That play was a major key. However, on the drive before that Qualls dropped a pass right in front of me that would have had Union down to about the 25 yard line. And then on the very next play Mitchell came around the left side and we missed a block on one of the Appomattox DB’s. I can’t remember who it was but if he lays a finger on the defender Mitchell was taking that to the house aswell. If we go up 27-21 there who knows what could have happened. 

Like I said man, this one was TOUGH. 

7 hours ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

I want some good footage on hold, not saying it disnt happen, but i want to see it again. Well.. i didnt see it on video inwas watching but i didnt look for it either

https://www.hudl.com/video/2/18906/5a24c387b019640264965c96

At 12 seconds. You can see Mitchell get turned sideways with the blocker behind him.

This and the blown call on the punt were horrible. However, Union still had chances to win this game and simply didn't execute when they needed to.

Congrats to the Bears on a stellar season and for representing Southwest Virginia the only way they knew how, with grit and tenacity. I thought this was your chance and I believe with your regular QB, it may have been your year. Football is very cyclical and your cycle just happened to coincide with Appomattox's cycle. I hope you enjoyed watching Mitchell play because he is a once a generation talent, and remember the good stuff but it won't take that nasty taste out of your mouth knowing that you were so close, yet so far away! Thanks for the memories James Mitchell, you will go down as a top 15 player to every trod on Southwest Virginia soil. 

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

https://www.hudl.com/video/2/18906/5a24c387b019640264965c96

At 12 seconds. You can see Mitchell get turned sideways with the blocker behind him.

This and the blown call on the punt were horrible. However, Union still had chances to win this game and simply didn't execute when they needed to.

I watched it just now. Appomattox got away with one there. 

11 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

I watched it just now. Appomattox got away with one there. 

I agree, they got away with one on this and also on the off-sides where they called Union on motion.  Hate to see this happen at this high a level, but it happens and nothing can be done about it.  Great game, hope Appo wins state, regardless of some of the post we have seen from a certain troll on this board.  Great season Union and hope that James picks VT, will be watching him in the future.  Can not wait til next season, wish it started tomorrow.

Everyone, (except a few) on this board has been great to post with throughout the season.  Everyone have a good off-season, and God bless one and all.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:54 AM, goose111874 said:

Wondering what side of the field you guys viewed this from at the game.

Play happened pretty much right  in front of me (about 10 yards beyond me) so I had a great view of it.  It looked as our guy had his hands on 82's shoulders and pushing on his shoulder (right shoulder) pushing him past the play.

If it had happened on your side of the field I would have not questioned  you at all knowing you had a better view but I had a great view of it.  Looked clean to me for what that is worth.

1 minute ago, BoBob said:

Wondering what side of the field you guys viewed this from at the game.

Play happened pretty much right  in front of me (about 10 yards beyond me) so I had a great view of it.  It looked as our guy had his hands on 82's shoulders and pushing on his shoulder (right shoulder) pushing him past the play.

If it had happened on your side of the field I would have not questioned  you at all knowing you had a better view but I had a great view of it.  Looked clean to me for what that is worth.

I posted the clip above. In order to push, he would have needed to be in front of Mitchell. He started to the side, then behind with Mitchell's body still turning indicating a pull. Like I stated before, that one play didn't make the difference in the game as Union had their chances.

That was a hold with two hands full of jersey in front of two officials, how could they both have missed that, and i know that one play may not change the outcome of a game, but in this case I will disagree with that.  Mitchel was on line to tackle the returner and you can see the other Union players kinda pull up thinking the play will be stopped, but it is what it is, and Appo wins again. Great game Union!!!

On 12/2/2017 at 1:35 PM, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

Thank you Giles and all other schools in support of atmosphere! I dont want any excuses if Appomattox wins! I want you to blow it at will! Every possession in huddle, out of huddle, in between plays, during cadence counts, when O is about to snap ball. Please blow it! 

Since it was your first time hearing it this year, did you think that it was disrespectful how it was blown? Or will you admit that it was blown right, the same way we’ve been blowing it since 2014. One of the goals of Saturday was to make Appo look bad for how they were complaining that it was blown “inappropriately”. I found it comical that Appo coaches went to the refs before the game even started to complain about it. 

On 12/4/2017 at 8:59 PM, Smashmouth said:

Saying it was the exception, as in it did make a difference. 

No one can make a claim that it would have changed the overall outcome of the game, but you my friend have to admit that if that call had been made the score would not have been the same going in at half time.  If you look at the second half, without that score Union would have won, enough said, no one is crying over spilled milk.  Everyone in SWVA knows when a team from our area plays any team from the Roanoke Valley and eastward, things like no calls, bad calls, and unusual calls always happen and we have come to accept this as the normal in that situation, and believe it or not we have come to understand that we live with it. Appo is a great team, no doubt, and we hope thay win state, but it is what it is and if you watch the film called out on this board you will see that the Appo player has Mitchel's arm wrapped up with a hand full of jersey right in front of two ref's, so you make the call.

Horn was fine.  In fact as I sat here in Appomattox the other day I heard the train whistle and it put a smile on my face.

Done talking about the mythical holding call.  It was in mid field but the play was coming out way so the visitors sidelines had a great view on 82's inside shoulder and how 2 was pushing that shoulder area.  He had enough leverage to not allow 82 to get turned.  Don't trust my word I understand that, but I had guys from Ridge View, Gate City and another SWVA school sitting right beside me .... IE .....they had the same view I did and NONE of them were complaining about a holding call!   I will also say that these same guys erupted when 82 broke his long TD run.  They were pulling for Union but non of them said a word about a "holding call".

They did question how a coach can walk clear to mid field to argue a illegal procedure call and stop the game for 60-120 seconds and THEN call a timeout.  Kinda funny that they shanked the punt right after that (although I feel for the kid).