Chilhowie @ Galax

SWVAFB

Chilhowie will take on Galax next week with the winner going to Salem for a shot at the state title. Galax will be a heavy favorite, but Chilhowie will give it their best shot. My guess is Galax 35 Chilhowie14. I hope I am wrong, but the Warriors are the new kid on the block and Galax will probably run wild.

Ihave seen CHilhowie, Narrows and Galax this year. I my opinion Chilhowie is a better team than Narrows and that is only a compliment to Narrows because they have a good team. If Chilhowie can handle the moment and play football they can beat Galax. Tall task for sure but this could be a great game. As people stated in the other threadd you better get Galax this year or nobody in Single A may for 3-4 years. 

GALAX 

PROS:Skilled and talented on both O&D; well-coached; post season experience; ability to score in bunches

CONS: young and inexperienced; inconsistent team play week-to week; secondary vulnerable against the pass, lost Dougie Peoples

CHILHOWIE

PROS: Skilled and talented on both O&D; 3 years of game experience for most starters; variety of ways to score (speed running, power running, mobile QB with some passing)

CONS: Team is 0-3 as the underdog in '17; QB consitently misses seeing open receivers; questionable play calling at times

10 hours ago, rvsteer said:

Per Roster from Saturday game Galax starts 6 Seniors and 3 Juniors on Defense.   Not sure that is a young Defense 

That's definitely not young, rvsteer.  I may have mistakenly called Galax "young and inexperienced".  It was posted on the Galax@Narrows thread that the Maroon Tide had just 3 seniors along with a group of highly talented freshmen.

Galax has 10 seniors but two are kickers and another rarely plays. The coaching staff tends to cater the starting lineup to match-up with the opponent in certain spots but they typically start 6 seniors. But another half a dozen freshmen play significant minutes. 

As has been stated previously, if your going to get Galax, now is the time. The group coming up is something very special. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Galax has 10 seniors but two are kickers and another rarely plays. The coaching staff tends to cater the starting lineup to match-up with the opponent in certain spots but they typically start 6 seniors. But another half a dozen freshmen play significant minutes. 

As has been stated previously, if your going to get Galax, now is the time. The group coming up is something very special. 

Thanks for the clarification, sixcat.  Chilhowie has a good team that has improved each week, but I'm not sure if they're a contender just yet.  They only start 1 senior on each side of the ball with a highly talented junior class.   

A Chilhowie upset is not out of the question, but I think we'll be seeing Galax-Riverheads Part 3.

Galax is getting some push-back for scheduling this game around SAT's.  Some people have such a lack of perspective, it's both confusing and infuriating.  Not one kid in this game is likely to ever make a dime from playing the game of football.  Every single kid in this game can benefit from a quality education.  

35 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Galax is getting some push-back for scheduling this game around SAT's.  Some people have such a lack of perspective, it's both confusing and infuriating.  Not one kid in this game is likely to ever make a dime from playing the game of football.  Every single kid in this game can benefit from a quality education.  

Well with the playoffs you're kinda limited to when you can schedule these games so what else do they expect to do? It can't be moved to Friday.

18 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Well with the playoffs you're kinda limited to when you can schedule these games so what else do they expect to do? It can't be moved to Friday.

SAT's are generally planned well in advance of a school year so, this isn't something that couldn't have been planned for.  But my issue isn't so much with the timing as it is with some folks response to the timing.  People are upset that some players are choosing to take the SAT's on the same day rather than "focusing on the biggest game of the season".  The quoted text is taken directly from social media!

That's the lack of perspective that infuriates me.

I also don't understand why concessions can't be made under the circumstances to allow a Friday game given the proximity of these two schools.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

SAT's are generally planned well in advance of a school year so, this isn't something that couldn't have been planned for.  But my issue isn't so much with the timing as it is with some folks response to the timing.  People are upset that some players are choosing to take the SAT's on the same day rather than "focusing on the biggest game of the season".  The quoted text is taken directly from social media!

I also don't understand why concessions can't be made under the circumstances to allow a Friday game given the proximity of these two schools.

That would mean both the general, social media using, public and also the VHSL would have an iota of common sense in either case.  However, we all know that isn't the case.  

33 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

The mindset of Galax is going to let Chilhowie win this game isn't it?

I don't think anyone in the school system, administration, coaches, or players are paying attention to any of this.  This isn't the first time Galax has had to make wise use of its time in order to meet standards across multiple fronts.  Given the success of the Galax athletics department as a whole this decade, they are always having to work around tournaments.  They will figure things out quite nicely if they are allowed to do so.

It seems to be social media BS coming from a small number of people.  But you know what they say, it only takes one bad apple.

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

People that typically make comments like the quote you have above are small minded and have only their high school days/careers to look on as true accomplishments in their life. That's why anything outside of that seems unimportant. We all love HS football, but it is such a small fraction of these kid's lives.

Good luck to both teams. Hope for an exciting, injury free game.

12 hours ago, sixcat said:

SATs have historically been in the mornings of the first weekend in December as far back as I can remember.  Good on Galax scheduling around them, and shame to the parents causing disturbance over it.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:17 AM, Blue 72 said:

Pulling for Chilhowie, and think they can win this game if they keep their heads straight and play their game. Chilhowie by 7

THIS!!!

GO WARRIORS!!!!