2017 Grand Home Furnishings' Holiday Classic Dec. 27 - Dec. 30

pvfan

WISE - - The bracket for the 2017 Grand Home Furnishings’ Boy’s Basketball Holiday Classic Presented by The Wolf, 92.1 FM WDIC Radio was released Tuesday. The event will kick off Wednesday, Dec. 27 at 4 p.m. inside the David J. Prior Convocation Center on the campus of UVa-Wise when the Hurley Rebels square off with the Lebanon Pioneers. The game will be the first of four on opening night as the Chilhowie Warriors will face the Rye Cove Eagles, the Northwood Panthers will square off with the Ridgeview Wolfpack and the John I. Burton Raiders will take on the Grundy Golden Wave.

Quarterfinal action begins on Thursday, Dec. 28 as the Honaker Tigers faces the winner of the Northwood – Ridgeview contest at 4 p.m. before the Marion Scarlet Hurricanes play the winner of the Norton - Grundy game. The night session will feature the defending champion Union Bears playing the winner of the Hurley – Lebanon game before action wraps up with the Central Warriors taking on the winner of the Chilhowie – Rye Cove contest.

Consolation bracket and semifinal action will commence on Friday, Dec. 29 beginning at 4 p.m. The action will get going at 11 a.m. with consolidation games Saturday, a 3-point shootout will also be held Saturday afternoon. The championship game is slated to tip at 5 p.m., the action will conclude at 7:30 p.m. when the UVa-Wise men’s basketball team faces Milligan College.

A tournament pass can be purchased for $35 which will give the ticket holder access to all 18 tournament games. Single day tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students K – 12. Children under the age of five will be admitted free of charge.

For more information about the second annual Grand Home Furnishings' Boy’s Basketball Holiday Classic, contact the David J. Prior Center Box Office at (276) 376-3431.

Grand_at_the_Prior_Bracket_2017_3_.jpg

Wow, this bracket was just released to the media today?  I have had it in my inbox for at least 2 months now.

Anyway, I would love to go to this tournament sometime, but am not going to miss the Arby's for it.  I think a lot of other people in SWVA feel the same way.  Maybe someday it will get moved to the week before Christmas.

20 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

If it bumps to the week before Christmas you are battling a lot of "local" tournaments like Va High's. 

That's o.k. because Va High's tournament for both the boy's and girl's has been terrible the last few years. The teams in it are really bad. 

3 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

That's o.k. because Va High's tournament for both the boy's and girl's has been terrible the last few years. The teams in it are really bad. 

Cannot disagree there but following Christmas, besides the Arby's/Fort Chiswell tourney, what tournament is there? I think Abingdon is the only Region D team playing at Fort. Just many many option post Christmas which helps the UVAW tourney I suppose. 

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight's Quarterfinal Schedule:

Ridgeview vs. Honaker (4 p.m.)

John I. Burton vs. Marion (5:30 p.m.)

Lebanon vs. Union (7 p.m.)

Chilhowie vs. Central (8:30 p.m.)

Day One Scores: Burton 78 Grundy 41 - Lebanon 57 Hurley 43 - Chilhowie 54 Rye Cove 44 - Ridgeview 63 Northwood 49

Very hard to watch this Central team struggle! I believe they have the athletes to finish above .500 for the year, but unless something changes and they start playing more team basketball it's going to be a long year for the Warriors.

Does anyone know how to find the overall coaching record at Kelly and Central? I searched high and low and couldn't find it. How many losing seasons does a coach have to have before someone realizes it may be time for a change in the basketball program? At any other school, I don't think it would last very long.

good luck to all teams for the remainder of the year!!! 

10 hours ago, #BBN said:

Very hard to watch this Central team struggle! I believe they have the athletes to finish above .500 for the year, but unless something changes and they start playing more team basketball it's going to be a long year for the Warriors.

Does anyone know how to find the overall coaching record at Kelly and Central? I searched high and low and couldn't find it. How many losing seasons does a coach have to have before someone realizes it may be time for a change in the basketball program? At any other school, I don't think it would last very long.

good luck to all teams for the remainder of the year!!! 

One has to seriously wonder if it's a money thing once again at Wise. I know I'll make folks mad with this,but when your dad's name is on the football field,has donated tons of money to the program...etc I can't help but wonder. Does his sister still coach volleyball at Central? She has been there many years with zero titles (although they have had some winning seasons unlike basketball). That high school could really use some fresh faces. Save for Robin Dotson and his program CHS has greatly underachieved in athletics

It does make you wonder! How many other schools in SWVA would keep a coach that long with sub par results? It's not like Kelly/CHS has not had athletes in the past. Maybe not the type of athletes to win state titles, but definitely athletes to finish better than .500! I'd say he is there to stay, and don't think much can be done about it.

2 minutes ago, #BBN said:

It does make you wonder! How many other schools in SWVA would keep a coach that long with sub par results? It's not like Kelly/CHS has not had athletes in the past. Maybe not the type of athletes to win state titles, but definitely athletes to finish better than .500! I'd say he is there to stay, and don't think much can be done about it.

Graham routinely does this for baseball...

1 hour ago, #BBN said:

Right or wrong, all three Smyth County Schools (Marion, Chilhowie, and Northwood) would keep coaches that long with sub-par results.