Jump to content
champ

Projected top girls teams to watch

43 posts in this topic

Who are the projected top notch girls teams to watch this year in 1A 2A 3A divisions? 

Is it a tremendous difference in the better 3A teams compared to the better 1A or 2A squads ? 

 

Looking to watch some good games and I'm not interested in watching teams that are down much.   So the question is

Does anyone have a good list of top teams in each division and do the smaller divisions compare at all to the bigger ones ? 

Im an old school honaker girls fan but it's been several years since those days 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I’ll try to answer your questions and not step on too many peoples toes. 

I’d say the best girls teams in far SWVA are Abingdon,Wise Central, Ridgeview and Union. No particular order. All Mt.7 teams. I believe the Mt. 7 is a step above the Southwest district. 

In the Southwest: Tazewell Richlands lebanon Va High.  All 4 of these teams has the ingredients to win the Southwest. A lot will depend on which teams can come together and best use what they have. 

Eastside has to be the front runner in division 1A in far SWVA. A few days ago Eastside beat Richlands by 5 in a benefit game. I think there are a few teams really close to Eastside in 1A although it will depend a lot on who is playing good together and who is not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I’ll try to answer your questions and not step on too many peoples toes. 

I’d say the best girls teams in far SWVA are Abingdon,Wise Central, Ridgeview and Union. No particular order. All Mt.7 teams. I believe the Mt. 7 is a step above the Southwest district. 

In the Southwest: Tazewell Richlands lebanon Va High.  All 4 of these teams has the ingredients to win the Southwest. A lot will depend on which teams can come together and best use what they have. 

Eastside has to be the front runner in division 1A in far SWVA. A few days ago Eastside beat Richlands by 5 in a benefit game. I think there are a few teams really close to Eastside in 1A although it will depend a lot on who is playing good together and who is not. 

 

 

Thank you.  I'm not trying to stir anyone else just looking to see some good teams this year.  Like I said I'm an old time honaker fan so I'd like to see them do well. I was just wondering what their chances in the state was and how the smaller teams stack up to the bigger teams 

will the majority of teams you mentioned or rather will the teams that come out of the southwest have a good chance at the state title or be favored in most cases ? 

I look forward to seeing how it all comes together for the groups. I have several work ties not far from Eastside , I will check them out to see how honaker stacks up.  

 

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Honaker is probably one of the youngest varsity teams this year. They have a lot of talent but being so young it’s going to be hard to say how well they will do this year.  I’m pretty sure they beat Eastside by 1 point in summer camp. I’d say they are close, but only time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

Honaker is probably one of the youngest varsity teams this year. They have a lot of talent but being so young it’s going to be hard to say how well they will do this year.  I’m pretty sure they beat Eastside by 1 point in summer camp. I’d say they are close, but only time will tell. 

I was told something similar on the other thread and I have a family member echoing the same thing as far as youth.  It sounds exciting for them if they are playing with the good teams now and they are young. 

In the years past a lot of state championships came from the SW as far as girls are concerned. It would be great to see that this year.  I saw ridge view last year. Looks to be a solid program.  I will check Abingdon  tazwell and some others out for sure. 

Hopefully state titles in all three divisions come from the SW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 11/30/2017 at 1:09 PM, Girls-Hoops said:

Honaker is probably one of the youngest varsity teams this year. They have a lot of talent but being so young it’s going to be hard to say how well they will do this year.  I’m pretty sure they beat Eastside by 1 point in summer camp. I’d say they are close, but only time will tell. 

They beat Richlands by 14 tonight. JV beat them something like 25-6 I believe. For a young team, Honaker will be a true force in a year or two. Shoot maybe this year, it's a wait & see I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Galax beat Carroll soundly last week in a game that was never as close as the final score.  Galax lead by more than 20 most of the night and won 62-52.  I'm not sure what Carroll returns from a Class 4 state quarter-final team from a year ago but that's as impressive a win as Galax has had in a number of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 12/4/2017 at 11:44 PM, Gridiron60 said:

They beat Richlands by 14 tonight. JV beat them something like 25-6 I believe. For a young team, Honaker will be a true force in a year or two. Shoot maybe this year, it's a wait & see I guess. 

I was there.  These young honaker ladies are very impressive.  I haven't begun to see or learn anything about the major competition in single A, but I'd have a hard time thinking that honaker girls aren't pretty close.   They really played good ball against richlands 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 12/5/2017 at 7:10 AM, sixcat said:

Galax beat Carroll soundly last week in a game that was never as close as the final score.  Galax lead by more than 20 most of the night and won 62-52.  I'm not sure what Carroll returns from a Class 4 state quarter-final team from a year ago but that's as impressive a win as Galax has had in a number of years.

This sounds very impressive.  Would Galax be the team to beat this year ? I will have to add them to my schedule of games I'd like to see.  

 

Im told Eastside is very good as well.  To me honaker girls looked like a major contender with the Richlands gsme.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
5 hours ago, champ said:

This sounds very impressive.  Would Galax be the team to beat this year ? I will have to add them to my schedule of games I'd like to see.  

 

Im told Eastside is very good as well.  To me honaker girls looked like a major contender with the Richlands gsme.  

I don't know if they are the "team to beat", but a win over a Carroll program that has been a perennial fixture in the 4A playoffs for the past decade is impressive.  Galax does only have 7 varsity players but all 7 work their tails off.  Shoot around, video session, and weights before school and practice after school since the close of last season, same routine all summer, 5 or 6 days a week, all on a voluntary basis! 

I would think only having 7 players will be a weakness at some point though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
27 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I don't know if they are the "team to beat", but a win over a Carroll program that has been a perennial fixture in the 4A playoffs for the past decade is impressive.  Galax does only have 7 varsity players but all 7 work their tails off.  Shoot around, video session, and weights before school and practice after school since the close of last season, same routine all summer, 5 or 6 days a week, all on a voluntary basis! 

I would think only having 7 players will be a weakness at some point though.

Oh my. That is an amazing commitment from the Galax girls program.  to work out and shoot before school is amazing.  I will most definitely add Galax to my list of teams to check out. 

I was talking to a friend of mine that coaches a 3A team this past Saturday evening and he said he felt like each division of 1-2-3 A - could all have their state champs from the Southwest. That would be impressive.  Galax may be his choice I will have to ask. 

I was still very excited to see a young honaker tiger team play the way they did. I hope they are around down the stretch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Where can I find a site or news source on line with schedules and results for the southwest.  I travel so much it's hard for me to get local papers with any good info 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
59 minutes ago, champ said:

Oh my. That is an amazing commitment from the Galax girls program.  to work out and shoot before school is amazing.  I will most definitely add Galax to my list of teams to check out. 

I was talking to a friend of mine that coaches a 3A team this past Saturday evening and he said he felt like each division of 1-2-3 A - could all have their state champs from the Southwest. That would be impressive.  Galax may be his choice I will have to ask. 

I was still very excited to see a young honaker tiger team play the way they did. I hope they are around down the stretch. 

A lot of the middle school kids follow the same routine.  The football coach started his "breakfast club" about 7 or 8 years ago.  The commitment is amazing and the kids hold one another accountable.  Kids from 6th grade through 12th grade are all over the school at 6am every morning.  It looks like that is filtering into the girls program now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, champ said:

Where can I find a site or news source on line with schedules and results for the southwest.  I travel so much it's hard for me to get local papers with any good info 

At the top of this page. Beamer all has ever boys and girls schedule on there and updates results as he can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

At the top of this page. Beamer all has ever boys and girls schedule on there and updates results as he can. 

 

Thank you 

give me time I'm socially illiterate 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, champ said:

 

Thank you 

give me time I'm socially illiterate 😀

No worries. Just pointing you his posts. They are a real resource on here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

@champ If you're looking for some good girls action, then the next 3 days at UVA-Wise should whet your appetite nicely.  Ridgeview, Central, Union, Graham and Rye Cove from Virginia are in the tournament as well as Jenkins, Shelby Valley and East Ridge from Kentucky.

I talked to someone from Pike Central who tells me East Ridge is pretty good and Shelby Valley is a legit state championship contender in Kentucky.  Central is the defending champs in 2A, and they as well as Ridgeview should contend in 2A this year.

Today's games:

  • 4:00 p.m. Shelby Valley vs. Rye Cove
  • 5:30 p.m. East Ridge vs. Ridgeview
  • 7:00 p.m. Jenkins vs. Union
  • 8:30 p.m. Wise Central vs. Graham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
3 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

Shelby Valley will be lucky to make it out of their district. The only state title contenders near our area is Harlan County. They are legit and scary.

Yeah, I have no idea... that's just what Pike Central's guy was telling me.

Wonder if Harlan County will be in that tournament Ridgeview is in in Hazard after Christmas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

They might make it to the sweet sixteen for their area but will bounce in the 1st round. Their district/region is comparabe to this years region 1d in football.

And no Harlan County is stepping up competition and playing in a Lexington tourney. 

Girls Basketball is on a different level there and it's scary. 

Ive not been out of the gym to scout much 2d but on paper for any team to face them they would need to merge with another team then pray really hard for it to be a game by half time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
22 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

They might make it to the sweet sixteen for their area but will bounce in the 1st round. Their district/region is comparabe to this years region 1d in football.

And no Harlan County is stepping up competition and playing in a Lexington tourney. 

Girls Basketball is on a different level there and it's scary. 

Ive not been out of the gym to scout much 2d but on paper for any team to face them they would need to merge with another team then pray really hard for it to be a game by half time.

Well, they were apparently good enough to beat Ridgeview.  Had a buzzer beater 3 at the end of regulation to send it to OT by an 8th grader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Well, they were apparently good enough to beat Ridgeview.  Had a buzzer beater 3 at the end of regulation to send it to OT by an 8th grader.

Just to clarify here is the team I'm referencing.

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/wkdz/kygbk17/52260

 

Big difference from their county rival and sister school

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/wkdz/kygbk17/52259

 

Which team beat ridgeview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Premium Theme Designed By IBTheme.com

×