Projected top girls teams to watch

champ

On 12/9/2017 at 3:02 PM, Beamerball said:

Shelby Valley

Yeah, and apparently something big happened because Shelby Valley's coach quit and some of his players did as well after the Ridgeview game Friday night.  Wished they could've at least waited till Saturday night and did that, so maybe they would've beat Central.

I'm not a big fan of that tournament after this weekend... I was going to go Saturday, but I got word at the last minute that we weren't going to be playing Union because of the tournament organizers not wanting two district teams to play in a losers game.

Well, easy fix... don't schedule three teams from one district to play in the tournament to start with, and two teams from the same district in Kentucky as well (Shelby Valley and East Ridge).  So, instead we got placed in the 7th place game against an outmatched Graham team that got rolled by 45.

The coaches didn't want to the teams to play each other.  It happens with some tournaments about every year.  I've seen it especially for baseball and basketball, if two district teams are scheduled to play on the final day, they'll scramble the games up so they'll play someone different. 

59 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, and apparently something big happened because Shelby Valley's coach quit and some of his players did as well after the Ridgeview game Friday night.  Wished they could've at least waited till Saturday night and did that, so maybe they would've beat Central.

I'm not a big fan of that tournament after this weekend... I was going to go Saturday, but I got word at the last minute that we weren't going to be playing Union because of the tournament organizers not wanting two district teams to play in a losers game.

Well, easy fix... don't schedule three teams from one district to play in the tournament to start with, and two teams from the same district in Kentucky as well (Shelby Valley and East Ridge).  So, instead we got placed in the 7th place game against an outmatched Graham team that got rolled by 45.

I doubt the tournament organizer gave a crap. If Union-Ridgeview played the gate would have been larger. It was probably the ADs of one or both schools not wanting to play. With C40 being highly contested maybe one team was not wanting all their cards to be placed on the table in early December? Just a guess

The SV stuff though is bizarre 

13 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

I doubt the tournament organizer gave a crap. If Union-Ridgeview played the gate would have been larger. It was probably the ADs of one or both schools not wanting to play. With C40 being highly contested maybe one team was not wanting all their cards to be placed on the table in early December? Just a guess

The SV stuff though is bizarre 

Yeah, you're probably right... I still think that tournament and the boys tournament both over there are a joke.

I would assume one of the players who quit was the one who hit the end of regulation buzzer beater against Ridgeview, since I think she was the coach's daughter and an 8th grader at that.

54 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, you're probably right... I still think that tournament and the boys tournament both over there are a joke.

I would assume one of the players who quit was the one who hit the end of regulation buzzer beater against Ridgeview, since I think she was the coach's daughter and an 8th grader at that.

If Rv had won it I am sure it would not be a “joke” of a tournament. 

Props to the tournament directors for trying. It’s not the coal classic of the past but are indeed trying. 

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

The 8th grader who hit the shot at the buzzer did not quit. A senior who started quit. The 8th grader who hit that shot holds 3 D1 offers already and she started on Saturday (she had not started in either of the 2 games before during the tournament). 

2 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

If Rv had won it I am sure it would not be a “joke” of a tournament. 

Props to the tournament directors for trying. It’s not the coal classic of the past but are indeed trying. 

I have reasons for being a bitter old fart about those tournaments... Lol.  I won't get into them here.

5 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I have reasons for being a bitter old fart about those tournaments... Lol.  I won't get into them here.

Duly noted. 

What other options do we have in SWVA? To my knowledge, we have the Va High tourneys, fort chiswell (which is a stretch to get to), and the UVAW tourneys. Options are limited. Plus most teams are not very good. 

40 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

Duly noted. 

What other options do we have in SWVA? To my knowledge, we have the Va High tourneys, fort chiswell (which is a stretch to get to), and the UVAW tourneys. Options are limited. Plus most teams are not very good. 

I would beg to differ that most teams are not very good. SWVA has the toughest conference in the state in 2A girls basketball. Central's girls have won state in 2013-14, 2014-15, & 2016-17. Ridgeview won state in the 2015-16 season & the finals that year we're 2 local teams (Ridgeview & Union). Also, before Ridgeview was formed, in 2014-15, the state championship in 1A & 2A were both from SWVA as Clintwood won 1A & Central 2A. Girls basketball in our end of the state is usually the best action you'll see. The conference/district (whatever format they've gone to this year) should be extremely competitive adding Abingdon, with D1 signee Grace Hess (Air Force), into the mix with Central, Ridgeview, & Union. 

14 minutes ago, EliteSWVAFan said:

I would beg to differ that most teams are not very good. SWVA has the toughest conference in the state in 2A girls basketball. Central's girls have won state in 2013-14, 2014-15, & 2016-17. Ridgeview won state in the 2015-16 season & the finals that year we're 2 local teams (Ridgeview & Union). Also, before Ridgeview was formed, in 2014-15, the state championship in 1A & 2A were both from SWVA as Clintwood won 1A & Central 2A. Girls basketball in our end of the state is usually the best action you'll see. The conference/district (whatever format they've gone to this year) should be extremely competitive adding Abingdon, with D1 signee Grace Hess (Air Force), into the mix with Central, Ridgeview, & Union. 

Richlands also had a back-to-back final four appearance a few years back. 

21 minutes ago, EliteSWVAFan said:

There is a lot of good basketball in single A and AA. I’m pretty sure in the last 4 years Honaker has made it to the championship game once and Final 4 twice. 

33 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

There is a lot of good basketball in single A and AA. I’m pretty sure in the last 4 years Honaker has made it to the championship game once and Final 4 twice. 

You said a lot... You named one team. Please tell me the good teams from the 16/17 year in 1a/2a girls basketball in SWVA. 

1A: Wythe. Honaker/Eastside branching into being good teams a times and bad teams at times. 

2a: Central, Ridgeview, Abingdon (but this is subjective. They are a 3a school playing a bunch of 1/2a schools. Good players but compared to 3am girls ball they are above average we will say. I cannot remember how they finished up 3a wise last year but I do not think they made it out of conference due to injuries). 

Teams people will likely say that really aren't good teams... But will mention them for the sake of the argument mainly because they won their conference or were competitive: Virginia High, Gate City, Union, 

C40 was/is the best girls basketball conference in the state. Hands down. GC/Central/Ridgeview/Union have had solid teams in the past and at the same time. Lee was once a powerhouse as well in girls ball. Toss in Abingdon to that mix and they is a crazy good Region now. 

Sure there have been a good team or two in the past but a consistent look at teams in the area is they are pretty weak. Exceptions exist as well as opinions. This coming from someone who has seen nearly every team SWVA has to offer in 1a/2a boys/girls basketball in the past 5-7 years. 

1 hour ago, Dick_Vitale said:

You said a lot... You named one team. Please tell me the good teams from the 16/17 year in 1a/2a girls basketball in SWVA. 

1A: Wythe. Honaker/Eastside branching into being good teams a times and bad teams at times. 

2a: Central, Ridgeview, Abingdon (but this is subjective. They are a 3a school playing a bunch of 1/2a schools. Good players but compared to 3am girls ball they are above average we will say. I cannot remember how they finished up 3a wise last year but I do not think they made it out of conference due to injuries). 

Teams people will likely say that really aren't good teams... But will mention them for the sake of the argument mainly because they won their conference or were competitive: Virginia High, Gate City, Union, 

C40 was/is the best girls basketball conference in the state. Hands down. GC/Central/Ridgeview/Union have had solid teams in the past and at the same time. Lee was once a powerhouse as well in girls ball. Toss in Abingdon to that mix and they is a crazy good Region now. 

Sure there have been a good team or two in the past but a consistent look at teams in the area is they are pretty weak. Exceptions exist as well as opinions. This coming from someone who has seen nearly every team SWVA has to offer in 1a/2a boys/girls basketball in the past 5-7 years. 

I do see what your saying.  And to a degree you are correct.  For the last 4 years 1A and 2A has been dominated by west schools. 

2017 PM vs GW

2016 Northwood vs Appomattox 

2015 Clintwood Vs Twin Valley

2014 Chilhowie vs Honaker 

So in the last 4 years only one eastern team was good enough to get to the final game. 

35 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I do see what your saying.  And to a degree you are correct.  For the last 4 years 1A and 2A has been dominated by west schools. 

2017 PM vs GW

2016 Northwood vs Appomattox 

2015 Clintwood Vs Twin Valley

2014 Chilhowie vs Honaker 

So in the last 4 years only one eastern team was good enough to get to the final game. 

I can agree that the West, specifically SWVA, dominated the state tournament in girls basketball. 

However, as a whole, it is not super competitive down there. SWVA has roughly 5-6ish teams from 1A-3A who are good any given year. After that, the median level of competition is rough. 

12 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

I can agree that the West, specifically SWVA, dominated the state tournament in girls basketball. 

However, as a whole, it is not super competitive down there. SWVA has roughly 5-6ish teams from 1A-3A who are good any given year. After that, the median level of competition is rough. 

Is it not like that everywhere? To a certain extent. There are very few high school programs that can be dominate year after year. And the smaller the school the harder it is to establish a legacy like Central has. 

5 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

Is it not like that everywhere? To a certain extent. There are very few high school programs that can be dominate year after year. And the smaller the school the harder it is to establish a legacy like Central has. 

I am not saying it is the same teams. Collectively, there are 5-6ish teams that are good. The rest usually are not very good. 

Your original premise is that SWVA girls basketball is very good. I disagree with that statement. 

32 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

I am not saying it is the same teams. Collectively, there are 5-6ish teams that are good. The rest usually are not very good. 

Your original premise is that SWVA girls basketball is very good. I disagree with that statement. 

I should have Said their has been a lot of good 1A and 2A teams from SWVA. And SWVA will continue to produce good teams over the next 5-6 years. They may not be All from the same schools either. I cannot argue with the statement that outside of C40, it would be hard to find 5-6 good teams. 

On 12/5/2017 at 7:10 AM, sixcat said:

Galax beat Carroll soundly last week in a game that was never as close as the final score.  Galax lead by more than 20 most of the night and won 62-52.  I'm not sure what Carroll returns from a Class 4 state quarter-final team from a year ago but that's as impressive a win as Galax has had in a number of years.

Carroll won the rematch last night 63-52.  The game was close throughout with Carroll pulling away late by converting at the free throw line and a timely three pointer.  Still, as impressive a Galax girls team as I've seen in quite some time.

Galax might just make some noise in Class 1.

10 hours ago, sixcat said:

Carroll won the rematch last night 63-52.  The game was close throughout with Carroll pulling away late by converting at the free throw line and a timely three pointer.  Still, as impressive a Galax girls team as I've seen in quite some time.

Galax might just make some noise in Class 1.

I made the game last night and echo your statement. The Galax girls lost but I don't see my tigers in that class right now.  Tigers may be a year or 2 away.  Galax by far is the best small school I've seen in many years.  I'm not sure you will convince me there's a better single A team out there.  I think the Galax team can compete with most anyone I've seen in the bigger classes as well. 

11 hours ago, champ said:

I made the game last night and echo your statement. The Galax girls lost but I don't see my tigers in that class right now.  Tigers may be a year or 2 away.  Galax by far is the best small school I've seen in many years.  I'm not sure you will convince me there's a better single A team out there.  I think the Galax team can compete with most anyone I've seen in the bigger classes as well. 

I would like to see them cut down on turnovers and convert more efficiently at the free throw line.  To be honest, I haven't followed closely enough these past few years to know what the rest of Class 1 has.  But I know this is the best Galax team I have seen in many years.

13 hours ago, champ said:

Honaker is not even predicted to win the district.  Grundy is.

3 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Honaker is not even predicted to win the district.  Grundy is.

I know honaker is very young and not Lilkly on the radar but from what I watched so far they looked capable of beating most teams.  This was until I saw Galax. Honaker will not compete with Galax this year.  

I haven't heard much about grundy. Most seem to think Eastside and honaker will be in the mix.  

Unless Eastside shocks me I don't see anyone even close to Galax. They are the best single A Team I've seen in many years. 

I guess I should watch some more action before saying things like that but I'll say this. So far I haven't seen anyone even in the same conversation with what I saw from Galax.  Very impressive 

i will make plans to try and see grundy.  I also want to travel some up north and watch the PM team and maybe a couple top teams in end east.  I have some work in Richmond and hopefully can see some other groups. 

If I see anymore small schools that can play like Galax then my mind will be blown.  Small schools aren't suppose to look that good 

19 minutes ago, champ said:

I know honaker is very young and not Lilkly on the radar but from what I watched so far they looked capable of beating most teams.  This was until I saw Galax. Honaker will not compete with Galax this year.  

I haven't heard much about grundy. Most seem to think Eastside and honaker will be in the mix.  

Unless Eastside shocks me I don't see anyone even close to Galax. They are the best single A Team I've seen in many years. 

I guess I should watch some more action before saying things like that but I'll say this. So far I haven't seen anyone even in the same conversation with what I saw from Galax.  Very impressive 

i will make plans to try and see grundy.  I also want to travel some up north and watch the PM team and maybe a couple top teams in end east.  I have some work in Richmond and hopefully can see some other groups. 

If I see anymore small schools that can play like Galax then my mind will be blown.  Small schools aren't suppose to look that good 

Grundy plays at Richlands tonight.