UT dumpster fire

PV2VT

Being a Virginia Tech fan working just outside of Knoxville this is the best Christmas Gift EVER!!!!!!!! UT football has completely fell apart and I love it. All the Knoxville Vol fans I work with are dying wanting to know what is going on. I know what is going on, UT Football is the biggest dumpster fire in the country! I love it

This could be as bad as the death penalty at SMU in the 80s. Now reports are coming out that Fulmer has been sabotaging Currie. Apparently John Currie was the one who fired Fulmer in 08.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/former-vols-coach-allegedly-sabotaging-coaching-search-in-hopes-of-becoming-ad/ar-BBG15Gi?ocid=iehp

This is a real life soap opera unfolding before our eyes. I haven't seen this many sad people at work in my entire career here. I hear so many VT jokes and how we aren't a real football program like UT. This just makes me so warm and fuzzy inside.

As a Tech fan you shouldn't throw stones, Tech may be looking for a coach real soon if the rumors are true. Jimbo's leaving for A&M and FSU going to go after Fuente. You may laugh and have fun today but VT would kill to have Tennessee's pedigree. Bama went through all this and came out just fine.

Even if Fuente leaves I know for a fact that VT wont go through 7 coaching choices and make it into a circus like UT has. Fuente is a solid coach and doing great and I can see bigger schools trying to pull him away (and may even succeed in doing so) but our administration wouldn't allow Frank Beamer to sabotage Babcock in a search for a new coach because he wants to be AD. UT has quickly became a HUGE mess that no coach with a record above .500 wants to touch. Bama wasn't this bad before hiring Saban and Tech did an amazingly smooth job transitioning coaches after loosing Beamer to retirement. Even UT fans have to admit, this is a disaster.

16 minutes ago, SXSW said:

As a Tech fan you shouldn't throw stones, Tech may be looking for a coach real soon if the rumors are true. Jimbo's leaving for A&M and FSU going to go after Fuente. You may laugh and have fun today but VT would kill to have Tennessee's pedigree. Bama went through all this and came out just fine.

Fuente isn't going anywhere. This is the problem with UT fans. They are completely delusional and living in the past.The strategy of making up stories about Schiano just because his record wasn't great was a terrible look and now coaches only use UT to increase their pay checks. Georgia and Florida are now on an upward trajectory and UT continues to fall behind. 

I am not living anywhere in the past, but UT's past is excellent. Football above any sport and cyclical. ( bad today, good tomorrow) Florida done nothing till Spurrier showed up and Richt wasted more talent than anyone. Everything going on at UT had to happen, it is nothing more than a civil war between the "old money" boosters the Haslem's vs. the "new money" boosters, (Ergen, Jones, Thorton ) and the coaching search bought it to a head. Currie should have been fired after Sunday, he got five extra days to prove he was inept. From Rock Bottom the only way is up, Oh and Currie got what was coming to him for firing Fulmer.  

18 minutes ago, SXSW said:

I am not living anywhere in the past, but UT's past is excellent. Football above any sport and cyclical. ( bad today, good tomorrow) Florida done nothing till Spurrier showed up and Richt wasted more talent than anyone. Everything going on at UT had to happen, it is nothing more than a civil war between the "old money" boosters the Haslem's vs. the "new money" boosters, (Ergen, Jones, Thorton ) and the coaching search bought it to a head. Currie should have been fired after Sunday, he got five extra days to prove he was inept. From Rock Bottom the only way is up, Oh and Currie got what was coming to him for firing Fulmer.  

Should never got rid of Fuller, biggest mistake, Currie should be the one fired 

From 1997 till 2007 Saban's first season, Bama was a sterling 64-58 and had five head coaches, ended up on probation and almost received the death penalty, oh how soon people forget! Every school goes through these time.

So in a 10 year period Alabama done what UT has in less than 2 weeks. I do agree that all schools hit rough patches but DANG this has be horrid! I have never witnessed 7 different coaches being talked to and turning down a "Top Tier" program. With how all of this has went down UT will be lucky to survive. This could be the start of a 10 year subpar UT football span. Going winless in the SEC, not being able to land a coach with an above .500 record, firing of the AD, former coach being tied to rumors of sabotage of said AD. its bad, real bad. 

44 minutes ago, SXSW said:

From 1997 till 2007 Saban's first season, Bama was a sterling 64-58 and had five head coaches, ended up on probation and almost received the death penalty, oh how soon people forget! Every school goes through these time.

Go vawls 

This is certainly becoming a 30 for 30 film.  There definitely seems to be something more to the story than whats being reported.

Should UT have let Butch Jones go?  Probably.  The old saying goes "You are what your record says you are"

Was the timing right?  Probably

Should Currie have used a search firm as apposed to going it alone in the coach search?  Probably.  Nobody else to blame or deflect to.  Of course he probably thought "If you want it done right, Do it yourself."

The civil war comment above about "Old Money" vs "New Money" boosters makes the most sense.  This goes on at every University.  Deep pockets want their way.

The Shciano deal-I can see both sides, so for me its a push

Its almost comical to some degree

38 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

So in a 10 year period Alabama done what UT has in less than 2 weeks. I do agree that all schools hit rough patches but DANG this has be horrid! I have never witnessed 7 different coaches being talked to and turning down a "Top Tier" program. With how all of this has went down UT will be lucky to survive. This could be the start of a 10 year subpar UT football span. Going winless in the SEC, not being able to land a coach with an above .500 record, firing of the AD, former coach being tied to rumors of sabotage of said AD. its bad, real bad. 

If they hire the right guy and they win all will be forgotten. Oh and there have been coaching searches this bad at other schools, there just wasn't twitter and ESPN and social media to leak everything and everyone now had anonymous sources, and who knows what the truth really is. And if we have learned anything in 2017 the truth is nothing except what an individual thinks it is.  

4 minutes ago, SXSW said:

If they hire the right guy and they win all will be forgotten. Oh and there have been coaching searches this bad at other schools, there just wasn't twitter and ESPN and social media to leak everything and everyone now had anonymous sources, and who knows what the truth really is. And if we have learned anything in 2017 the truth is nothing except what an individual thinks it is.  

I will agree with the social media aspect on this. I have worked just outside of Knoxville for near 5 years and the media down here and the social media of the fan base down here truly dictates what UT does. I have never seen a fan base this crazy! UTs mess this season can become a 30 for 30 just because of the social media aspect.

If they get Fuente they will have landed one heck of a coach and VT will have him replaced by the end of the next week with a smooth transaction. There will be no fan determination on who will coach at Tech and no rock being painted with Virginia Browns lol

21 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Fuente isn't going anywhere. This is the problem with UT fans. They are completely delusional and living in the past.The strategy of making up stories about Schiano just because his record wasn't great was a terrible look and now coaches only use UT to increase their pay checks. Georgia and Florida are now on an upward trajectory and UT continues to fall behind. 

If Taggart doesn’t take that job, it is a sobering and real possibility Fuente does.  He doesn’t have loyalty to Blacksburg like Beamer did...

10 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

If Taggart doesn’t take that job, it is a sobering and real possibility Fuente does.  He doesn’t have loyalty to Blacksburg like Beamer did...

Fuente is a Gary Patterson disciple. He knows that staying at Virginia Tech is a much better situation than the pressure that comes along a job like Florida State. Plus, having Bud Foster as your DC is a luxury that Fuente would not have at FSU and Babcock is one of the best AD's in the country. 

Yall need to read all the articles of Fuente declining to even speak to other teams. I know it must hurt to see a small non SEC school make it to its 25th consecutive bowl game and only have 2 different head coaches in the past 30 years. UT putting Fulmer at AD is a good move! He and Big Jim Haslem (who runs UT football) do not see eye to eye and Fulmer will have a hard row to hoe if he isn't careful. I happen to really like Fulmer, and if anyone can handle the UT Booster politics it is him. Either way, leading up to Friday, UT was and if they don't make a good hire is the laughing stock of NCAA football. Horrible handling of every situation from the Chancellor down IMO.

11 minutes ago, PV2VT said:

Yall need to read all the articles of Fuente declining to even speak to other teams. I know it must hurt to see a small non SEC school make it to its 25th consecutive bowl game and only have 2 different head coaches in the past 30 years. UT putting Fulmer at AD is a good move! He and Big Jim Haslem (who runs UT football) do not see eye to eye and Fulmer will have a hard row to hoe if he isn't careful. I happen to really like Fulmer, and if anyone can handle the UT Booster politics it is him. Either way, leading up to Friday, UT was and if they don't make a good hire is the laughing stock of NCAA football. Horrible handling of every situation from the Chancellor down IMO.

I still maintain that Fulmer doesn’t have the intelligence, wherewithal, and personality to run a $110M athletic department.  Very different matters to run a football team and run an entire athletics department.

Just now, UVAObserver said:

I still maintain that Fulmer doesn’t have the intelligence, wherewithal, and personality to run a $110M athletic department.  Very different matters to run a football team and run an entire athletics department.

I do get that. He is a football minded guy and if he isn't careful to remember there are other sports at UT than just football he wont last long. I like the pick at AD cause I feel like it will end up bad and expose to the rest of the world just how much influence the Haslems have on that school. I don't think it is known outside of the UT circle just how powerful they are at that school. You hear about them but working in the area I have seen first hand the power they hold and it is not good for the program and school.

53 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

^^^THIS^^^ 

Seems like a knee-jerk reaction by a university and fan base stuck in the past.   

I dont know, Fulmer is a leader and his personality is one that I think will adapt well to duties of an AD.  The last AD TN had that was worth a dime was a former football coach as well in Doug Dickey.  Hopefully Phillip takes queues from his time under Dickey and from Barry Alvarez and has a successful run.