UT dumpster fire

PV2VT

The reason Currie was fired is because he was insubordinate. He was called to meeting with the President of the university and he was in California. When ask why he was in California, he said he was signing a football coach ( Leach), but he was suppose to be in Knoxville. The kicker is he used a Kansas State booster's plane so no one would know where he was. That is the only reason he is gone. It sounds like there will be a decision by either late tonight or early Thursday. They have a big recruiting weekend scheduled for this weekend and they have to have a coach at least by then. Whoever it is their are plenty of quality assistants floating around due to all the coaching upheaval. It is a mess right now, but not as big a mess as some think.. 

42 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I dont know, Fulmer is a leader and his personality is one that I think will adapt well to duties of an AD.  The last AD TN had that was worth a dime was a former football coach as well in Doug Dickey.  Hopefully Phillip takes queues from his time under Dickey and from Barry Alvarez and has a successful run.  

Former coaches taking the reigns as athletics director is a mixed bag.  Tom Osborne's platform for the position at Nebraska was to hand pick his successors, both in the coaching ranks as well as administrative in an effort to "stabilize" the athletic department.  Time has proven, his hand picked choices for coaches and administrators were less than quality selections.  Nebraska is currently bringing in head football coach number 6 since Osborne sold the university on his "program stabilizing" plan.  Bob Devaney and Bill Byrne were the only two AD's at Nebraska from 1967 to 2002.  They have had 5 since.  Not really a "stabilizing" plan.  Pat Hayden was an abject failure at USC as AD.  Lynn Swann will not fair any better in my opinion. 

Frank Broyles and Barry Alvarez could easily be considered a hall-of-fame caliber coaches and administrators.  

14 minutes ago, SXSW said:

The reason Currie was fired is because he was insubordinate. He was called to meeting with the President of the university and he was in California. When ask why he was in California, he said he was signing a football coach ( Leach), but he was suppose to be in Knoxville. The kicker is he used a Kansas State booster's plane so no one would know where he was. That is the only reason he is gone. It sounds like there will be a decision by either late tonight or early Thursday. They have a big recruiting weekend scheduled for this weekend and they have to have a coach at least by then. Whoever it is their are plenty of quality assistants floating around due to all the coaching upheaval. It is a mess right now, but not as big a mess as some think.. 

Currie was a wild card. He pulled a lot of crazy moves like the Mike Leach incident in his last couple of weeks as AD. In my opinion, Fulmer was put in to 1 appease the fan base (which clearly runs the show in Knoxville) 2 to try to bring back some pride to a program that has been up and down since he left. Can he do it? Only time will tell, but one thing that will help him is if the Knoxville media shuts there pie holes and let him find a coach before they announce the coach. Too many times the media down here in Kvegas stirs more poop than needed.

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

Former coaches taking the reigns as athletics director is a mixed bag.  Tom Osborne's platform for the position at Nebraska was to hand pick his successors, both in the coaching ranks as well as administrative in an effort to "stabilize" the athletic department.  Time has proven, his hand picked choices for coaches and administrators were less than quality selections.  Nebraska is currently bringing in head football coach number 6 since Osborne sold the university on his "program stabilizing" plan.  Bob Devaney and Bill Byrne were the only two AD's at Nebraska from 1967 to 2002.  They have had 5 since.  Not really a "stabilizing" plan.  Pat Hayden was an abject failure at USC as AD.  Lynn Swann will not fair any better in my opinion. 

Frank Broyles and Barry Alvarez could easily be considered a hall-of-fame caliber coaches and administrators.  

I agree its no slam dunk.  TN has faced that same kind of upheaval since 02 or so I think.  Sometime around when Dickey left.  I believe its been a combination of 16 different presidents/chancellors/ADs in the last 12-15 years.  Stability across the board will mean more to the success than Fulmer alone.

9 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I agree its no slam dunk.  TN has faced that same kind of upheaval since 02 or so I think.  Sometime around when Dickey left.  I believe its been a combination of 16 different presidents/chancellors/ADs in the last 12-15 years.  Stability across the board will mean more to the success than Fulmer alone.

The wheels came off when Dickey retired, Hamilton, Hart, and Currie all have a common theme, they were hand picked by Haslem. There had been a "civil war" brewing for a long time and the coaching search brought it to a head; it was the Haslem's vs. everybody else and everybody else won. ( Thank God! ) Stability is what must be achieved at all costs, I heard a Tennessee booster say yesterday that he wasn't concerned about recruiting, or renovations to Neyland, just getting the right person.  

10 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

That's a lot of turnover.  There is a lot to be said for stability, regardless of context.

Pruitt has hired; OC Tyson Helton (from USC), DC Kevin Sherrer (from Georgia) OL  Will Friend (from CSU) he took a demotion to come to Tennessee, DL Chris Rumph ( from Florida) DL Tracy Rocker (from Auburn)

DB Terry Fair (from CSU) Fair played for Tennessee from 95-98. And Robert Gillespie is a holdover from Butch Jones. All are elite recruiters, getting the talent should never be a problem, and if rumors are true more recruiting help is on the way.

Butch Jones and staff were sang good recruiters as well.  They could pull high level players but they are proof that if you don't get kids that fit your system it will never work.   You can have 22 starting 5 star kids but if they don't fit your system or don't mesh with each other it won't help.