Any posters in BSG today?

BigWinners

I was there, didn't see this until just now or I would have came by.

on the false start a official said one of the men that shifted hopped up, wasn't a steady shift.   I didn't see it (they shifted 6) but if that's what he saw it was a legit call.  

Union made too many early mistakes

1 minute ago, redtiger said:

I was there, didn't see this until just now or I would have came by.

on the false start a official said one of the men that shifted hopped up, wasn't a steady shift.   I didn't see it (they shifted 6) but if that's what he saw it was a legit call.  

Union on made too many early mistakes

As long as he doesn’t move towards the LOS it doesn’t matter if he hopped or not.

7 minutes ago, redtiger said:

Im pretty sure a shift has to be a steady motion.   Now if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and it's a bad call but I don't think I am

Nope...the shift is before “set”, and you can’t go forward. I understand that refs catch a lot of hell, and take lots of abuse...so I rarely throw them under the bus, and I won’t today either. But, is it too much to ask for refs that are vaguely familiar with the odd ball plays that the teams they are officiating run OR at least know subtle aspects of the rules?  

14 minutes ago, Blues Man said:

This play is actually in the nfhs football rules case book and if the official determines that the shift was designed to cause the defence to jump offside its a false start. So they got it right.

So, if that’s the case:

1- How do you determine if it is designed to draw someone offside or not? Just because someone jumps offside doesn’t mean it was designed to do that...and

2- Union does that shift quite often and that’s the first time I’ve seen it called agaibst them. So, clearly, someone somewhere has blown that call...either the crew today, or every other crew Union has had when the did the same shift. 

I get it, though...just like climate change deniers find 2 scientists out of 100 that deny it as well to side with, some folks will side with the one crew out of probably 10 who haven’t flagged the same play. I tend to play the percentages, because they are usually right.

Now, if it had come after “set” or if someone had gone towards the LOS, I would buy your explanation...but, Nah.

I was just letting you know what it says in the rules, i was there and saw the play. The line judge and white hat both droped flags. When i saw the white hats flag i new he was calling it a false start, because of this situation in the case book. 

7 minutes ago, Blues Man said:

I was just letting you know what it says in the rules, i was there and saw the play. The line judge and white hat both droped flags. When i saw the white hats flag i new he was calling it a false start, because of this situation in the case book. 

Many white hats have been in the same situation with Union and haven’t flagged it...he was wrong. By that interpretation, the offense would be penalized at the ref’s discretion anytime someone jumped offside due to any of the following: a TE or WR shift, a back shift, or a QB going into shotgun from under center...just for starters. Clearly a blown call.

1 minute ago, sup_rbeast said:

Many white hats have been in the same situation with Union and haven’t flagged it...he was wrong. By that interpretation, the offense would be penalized anytime someone jumped offside due to any of the following: a TE or WR shift, a back shift, or a QB going into shotgun from under center...just for starters. Clearly a blown call.

LOL. Refs screw Union out of a win again huh

7 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

LOL. Refs screw Union out of a win again huh

If you read the thread, you would see that this isn’t about anyone being screwed out of a game. But, since your comprehension skills have failed you, I’ll say it to you in terms you can clearly understand. We are discussing whether or not a call should have gone against the offense or defense. Now, go on back to your coloring books and let the adults talk, junior.

1 minute ago, sup_rbeast said:

If you read the thread, you would see that this isn’t about anyone being screwed out of a game. But, since your comprehension skills have failed you, I’ll say it to you in terms you can clearly understand. We are discussing whether or not a call should have gone against the offense or defense. Now, go on back to your coloring books and let the adults talk, junior.

Got to blame someone, right? 

Anyway, back to my coloring books. 

24 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

Many white hats have been in the same situation with Union and haven’t flagged it...he was wrong. By that interpretation, the offense would be penalized at the ref’s discretion anytime someone jumped offside due to any of the following: a TE or WR shift, a back shift, or a QB going into shotgun from under center...just for starters. Clearly a blown call.

It is what it is, i wouldn't call it a blown call. The second half of the game was great to watch i really thought union was going to pull it out.

3 minutes ago, Blues Man said:

It is what it is, i wouldn't call it a blown call. The second half of the game was great to watch i really thought union was going to pull it out.

So what would you call it? It either has to be a correct call or a blown call.

In my opinion it was a false start, it was done in my opinion to try and make the return team jump offside with movement, to me its no different than the defense trying to make the offence jump by calling hut at the line.

2 minutes ago, Blues Man said:

In my opinion it was a false start, it was done in my opinion to try and make the return team jump offside with movement, to me its no different than the defense trying to make the offence jump by calling hut at the line.

I was standing right there with a clear view and saw and heard everything. It really wasn't the correct call but it's water under the bridge. 

5 minutes ago, Blues Man said:

Well, the difference is it was a shift on offense and not a defender barking “hut” which is a penalty...those two don’t even equate...but, whatever.

25 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

The horrendous no call when Mitchell was behind held right in front of the official on the PR TD was bad but that call was worse. 

If calls on those 2 plays were  split one per team, the outcome would’ve been affected...that was a total of 13 points either gained or set up on those 2 calls alone. The punt following the procedure penalty was bad, but with the offsides penalty, Union gets the first down and goes to the locker room no worse than 14 down...not 20.