Cross-bracket or not?

tornado99

Just for discussion after competitive games today, IF Union is in fact the second best 2A team in the state do you prefer the current and original format where the top 2 teams meet in the semifinals or the previous format that meant more travel, but the possibility of meeting in the finals?

I don't think necessarily cross bracketing... maybe what I would like to see is when the 4 region winners are decided, seed them based on power points and do the semis that way.  I think with that format, then Poquson would've came to Bullitt and RE Lee would've gone to Appo.

I have no problem with the way they did it this year, but that's just a suggestion for if anything HAS to be changed for the future, and this scenario were proposed, that would get my vote.

3 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I don't think necessarily cross bracketing... maybe what I would like to see is when the 4 region winners are decided, seed them based on power points and do the semis that way.  I think with that format, then Poquson would've came to Bullitt and RE Lee would've gone to Appo.

I have no problem with the way they did it this year, but that's just a suggestion for if anything HAS to be changed for the future, and this scenario were proposed, that would get my vote.

That would have been a more than 7 hour drive for Poquoson!!! I've always been a fan of cross bracketing, but after seeing how things played out this year, I'm OK with it. Especially, with the higher seed hosting the semifinal. Overall, I believe they got it right this year.

10 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

That would have been a more than 7 hour drive for Poquoson!!! I've always been a fan of cross bracketing, but after seeing how things played out this year, I'm OK with it. Especially, with the higher seed hosting the semifinal. Overall, I believe they got it right this year.

True, I was being selfish and looking at it from the "neutral fan" perspective and not the "person with a dog in the hunt" perspective.  And I based that due to watching the TSSAA games and only the 2A game (of the ones I have watched so far) were competitive.  The rest were blowouts.  Take Greeneville for example.  Everyone I talked to on Facebook said that when they beat Anderson County in the quarters, they could coast the rest of the way from there and they did.

1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

True, I was being selfish and looking at it from the "neutral fan" perspective and not the "person with a dog in the hunt" perspective.  And I based that due to watching the TSSAA games and only the 2A game (of the ones I have watched so far) were competitive.  The rest were blowouts.  Take Greeneville for example.  Everyone I talked to on Facebook said that when they beat Anderson County in the quarters, they could coast the rest of the way from there and they did.

You may not be a neutral fan next year. I fully expect the Wolfpack to make some noise in '18.

And no matter what format we use for football playoffs, something each year will throw a wrench in it. There's always something new or changing that we never thought of.

23 minutes ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

No to Cross Bracketing. I like the idea of BEST IN WEST vs BEST IN EAST....plus the limited travel without it. 7.5 from Hampton to Big Stone Gap. I had to seriously think about that one this weekend and I chose to stay home and stream. 

But why not have BEST IN THE STATE vs BEST IN THE STATE?

12 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

They are playing for the title so yes. And may be #1 after Saturday

So if they win Saturday you saying they aren't the #1 team in 1A?

That’s patently ridiculous logic.

Obviously (or what is obvious to anyone with a functioning brain), it is certainly possible for districts and regions to have lopsided amount of quality and talent compared to other districts and regions.  It is quite possible for Essex to be a better team than Chilhowie, but just have the misfortune of being geographically placed too near to Riverheads.  In fact, believing that Chilhowie is better than Essex may be grounds for involuntary committal under the Code of Virginia.

How about this: let’s have a tournament between local pee-wee teams where the winner meets the winner of a tournament between Virginia 6A teams.  Surely, the pee-wee team that wins its  bracket is the 2nd best team in the whole tournament because it played for the title.

I’d think you’re a master troll if you didn’t have the history here that you do.

Where does everyone get that the Championship game has to be the 2 best teams in the state? In no sport is the focus on determining who is second best...the focus is on determining a champion.  If you really want to watch something where first runner up matters, I'd suggest beauty pageants.  East vs West is fine...I would like to see the alternating of sites the semis between C&D and A&B, though.

42 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

That’s patently ridiculous logic.

Obviously (or what is obvious to anyone with a functioning brain), it is certainly possible for districts and regions to have lopsided amount of quality and talent compared to other districts and regions.  It is quite possible for Essex to be a better team than Chilhowie, but just have the misfortune of being geographically placed too near to Riverheads.  In fact, believing that Chilhowie is better than Essex may be grounds for involuntary committal under the Code of Virginia.

How about this: let’s have a tournament between local pee-wee teams where the winner meets the winner of a tournament between Virginia 6A teams.  Surely, the pee-wee team that wins its  bracket is the 2nd best team in the whole tournament because it played for the title.

I’d think you’re a master troll if you didn’t have the history here that you do.

It was kinda a joke so relax...but all cross bracketing is is unnecessary travel for 2 teams in the semis

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

It was kinda a joke so relax...but all cross bracketing is is unnecessary travel for 2 teams in the semis

You know good and well you weren’t joking.  You said something idiotic, got exposed, and are trying to backpedal your way out of it.  You’ve been doing this crap for years.  Maybe you can ask Steph Curry how he’d handle this delicate situation.