Cross-bracket or not?

tornado99

10 minutes ago, EH31 said:

8 teams 

5 p5 conference champs 

2 at large 

1 top ranked non p5 team - as long as they're in the top 16 in the final rankings, if not it reverts to a 3rd at large bid. 

Agree or take 6 teams.  Five power 5 conference champs and the 1 best team of the group of five and #1&2 get a bye week.  Reason to still give all effort in every game possible that way.

10 minutes ago, EH31 said:

8 teams 

5 p5 conference champs 

2 at large 

1 top ranked non p5 team - as long as they're in the top 16 in the final rankings, if not it reverts to a 3rd at large bid. 

8 is too many.  Take the P5 champs and the best non-P5 champ.  Rank 'em 1-6.  The week of Army-Navy, pit 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5, place the winners in the CFP with seeds 1&2 and send the losers to bowl games.  It's not that complicated and could be done.

22 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yes I edited it out because it was uncalled for even if true...I'm done with you...if you feel like you win them congrats...I know what I posted and how it was meant but you know more than me about it I guess....good day Mr know everything

Come on, if you’re such a big boy, just lay it on the line.  Don’t be shy.  Honestly, anything contrary to the weak-willed temperament you’ve shown for years will be welcome.  It really is symptomatic of what you’ve put on display over the years:

(1) Publish some “hot take” or ridiculous assertion either lacking in logic or unable of verification.

(2) Get called out on it.

(3) Whine and moan like a prepubescent girl.

(4) Walk your statement back.

(5) Get called out again.

(6) Repeat steps 2-4 until we get tired of you.

I’m going to keep on repeating Steps 2-4 until you either (1) admit you lied [you have STILL failed to address this other than vague-speak] or (2) admit that your position is entirely lacking of logic and merit.  If that makes me a horse’s rear end, so be it.  I’d rather be that than wrong or brainless.

40 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

Regardless, they beat no one, lost to Auburn who went into the SEC Championship at #2, and failed to win the West.  Alabama should have been able to finish no higher than 1 spot behind Auburn in the final rankings. No gain should be made from being idle on Championship Saturday because you couldn't get there. It's not like Bama suddenly got better than Auburn in a week just because UGA beat Auburn...that's ridiculous.

How is that “regardless”?!

I just showed how they’ve beaten 2 Top 25 teams and literally destroyed (#3) FSU’s season, and you just wholly ignore that?  I’ve further shown Alabama > LSU > Auburn > Alabama, when Alabama has TWO fewer losses at the end of the season, and you just wholly ignore that?  C’mon man, that’s Hokiebird7-Level stuff right there.

38 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

8 is too many.  Take the P5 champs and the best non-P5 champ.  Rank 'em 1-6.  The week of Army-Navy, pit 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5, place the winners in the CFP with seeds 1&2 and send the losers to bowl games.  It's not that complicated and could be done.

I actually kind of like that scenario, except that it adds another game to an already long season. If you win as a 5 seed and make the title game, you will have played 16 games. That's an NFL schedule. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

I actually kind of like that scenario, except that it adds another game to an already long season. If you win as a 5 seed and make the title game, you will have played 16 games. That's an NFL schedule. 

They were talking about that on Golic and Wingo (I miss old Mike and Mike...anyway) How many players would sit out because extra games equals more chance to ruin their NFL draft possibility.  Still not a fan of that from last year.

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I just showed how they’ve beaten 2 Top 25 teams and literally destroyed (#3) FSU’s season, and you just wholly ignore that?  I’ve further shown Alabama > LSU > Auburn > Alabama, when Alabama has TWO fewer losses at the end of the season, and you just wholly ignore that?  C’mon man, that’s Hokiebird7-Level stuff right there.

I don't really have an argument in this, but it does appear that you have created a circular reference in that Alabama > Alabama, therefore a tear in the space time continuum could occur and cause anyone that attends the Alabama/Clemson game to disappear into a black hole.

Just saying. Am I the only one to catch that? 

13 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

They were talking about that on Golic and Wingo (I miss old Mike and Mike...anyway) How many players would sit out because extra games equals more chance to ruin their NFL draft possibility.  Still not a fan of that from last year.

Already happening this year. Derwin James has declared for the Draft and will skip FSU's bowl. 

5 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I don't really have an argument in this, but it does appear that you have created a circular reference in that Alabama > Alabama, therefore a tear in the space time continuum could occur and cause anyone that attends the Alabama/Clemson game to disappear into a black hole.

Just saying. Am I the only one to catch that? 

Shhh, trying to keep that a secret...

38 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

So, in your estimation, Bama beating 2 top 25 teams and not winning their division, and losing head to head against Auburn trumps Auburn beating several top 25 teams, including 2 number 1's, winning the division, and beating Bama head to head worse than they had been beaten in nearly 3 years? If that's your position, you have your head buried in the sand.  Auburn doesn't really deserve to be in, and Bama deserves to be next in line behind Auburn...lol. As far as Auburn having 3 losses, one of 'em came in a game Bama wasn't even eligible to play in due to Auburn proving on the field they were better than Bama. Seriously, give a team like UCF the chance in a situation like we have this year.  That way, America has someone to pull for at least.

30 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I'm sure seeds 5 and 6 wouldn't mind playing the extra game.

7 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Another argument for another day but Alabama, no....

Committee doesn't even know what's important.  Past few years said conference championship game was important.  This year they say it didn't matter.

That's not true, Ohio State got in last year without being conference champions.

6 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

If wins and losses don't matter, and championships don't matter, explain to me how Alabama is better than Auburn. There's a reason Auburn was playing in Atlanta Saturday and Bama wasn't.  With a healthy back, Auburn is better than UGA or Bama and that was proven.  By the time of the CFP games, Auburn would have both Johnson and Pettway healthy and be better than UGA or Bama...so that argument holds no water. Going by that logic, Auburn deserved the 4 seed over Bama...after all they had better wins, and won head to head. 'Nuff said.

So we just act like Bama wasn't ravaged by injuries too? If Bama played Auburn on a neutral field, I'd take Bama every time. 

5 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

So, in your estimation, Bama beating 2 top 25 teams and not winning their division, and losing head to head against Auburn trumps Auburn beating several top 25 teams, including 2 number 1's, winning the division, and beating Bama head to head worse than they had been beaten in nearly 3 years? If that's your position, you have your head buried in the sand.  Auburn doesn't really deserve to be in, and Bama deserves to be next in line behind Auburn...lol. As far as Auburn having 3 losses, one of 'em came in a game Bama wasn't even eligible to play in due to Auburn proving on the field they were better than Bama. Seriously, give a team like UCF the chance in a situation like we have this year.  That way, America has someone to pull for at least.

Bama beat four teams ranked at the time, and had road wins at MSU and TAMU. Auburn lost three games. Alabama lost one, to a top 5 team. Auburn lost to the top team, a top 5 team and a top 25 team. Having one loss >>>>>three. 

If head to head was the decider, why isn't Syracuse in ahead of Clemson? Iowa State instead of Oklahoma?

Be salty all you want but Alabama deserved to be there. They were 11-1, with one loss on the road by 12. Ohio State lost twice, once at home and once on the road by 40. Auburn lost three times. Wisconsin beat fewer good teams than Bama. UCF beat one ranked team and only played two quality teams all year. USC had two losses, one by 30. Committee got it right. 

6 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

Regardless, they beat no one, lost to Auburn who went into the SEC Championship at #2, and failed to win the West.  Alabama should have been able to finish no higher than 1 spot behind Auburn in the final rankings. No gain should be made from being idle on Championship Saturday because you couldn't get there. It's not like Bama suddenly got better than Auburn in a week just because UGA beat Auburn...that's ridiculous.

Beat ranked MSU on road, beat FSU, and beat same LSU team that AU couldn't. 

Losses have to mean something. A team with three losses shouldn't get more credit than a team with one. 

Auburn went to SECCG by virtue of a tiebreaker. Both had one SEC loss. 

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Years ago the NCAA capped the season at 12 games (6 home + 5 away + bowl) and in 1989 vowed  "to protect and enhance the physical and educational welfare of student-athletes."

Since then the NCAA has:

Expanded cap to 13-   So schools could boost revenue with 7 home games.

Expanded cap to 14-   So schools could participate in the lucrative conference championship.

Expanded cap to 15-   So schools could participate in the lucrative 4-team CFP.

Expand cap to 16?      Never! Because the NCAA has vowed  "to protect and enhance the physical and educational welfare of student-athletes."

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Beat ranked MSU on road, beat FSU, and beat same LSU team that AU couldn't. 

Losses have to mean something. A team with three losses shouldn't get more credit than a team with one. 

Auburn went to SECCG by virtue of a tiebreaker. Both had one SEC loss. 

Auburn may not have beaten LSU, but they sure whipped Bama...and that is the elephant in the room. Wanna talk about injuries? With a healthy K Johnson and Pettway, we aren’t having this convo cuz they wouldn’t have lost to UGA...but injuries are part of it. I’m not saying Auburn should be in, they should be 5 or 6 with Bama sitting right behind them. 

1 hour ago, sup_rbeast said:

Auburn may not have beaten LSU, but they sure whipped Bama...and that is the elephant in the room. Wanna talk about injuries? With a healthy K Johnson and Pettway, we aren’t having this convo cuz they wouldn’t have lost to UGA...but injuries are part of it. I’m not saying Auburn should be in, they should be 5 or 6 with Bama sitting right behind them. 

Then who is 4??

9 hours ago, EH31 said:

Then who is 4??

In the situation we have this year, since the PAC 12 and Big 10 Champs both had 30 point losses or worse, I'd have seeded UCF. Here is my thinking. Fact is, Bama is fresh off their worst loss in years, PAC 12 and Big 10 Champs were obviously out, that left Auburn, Bama, and Wisconsin in that order.  Auburn had 3 losses (2 regular season, one in the SEC Championship), Bama has no wins over a team with less than 3 losses AND lost to Auburn a week and a half ago proving they shouldn't be ranked above them as it was proven on the field that Auburn is the superior team. IMO had Bama in fact made the SEC Championship game, they would be sitting with 2 losses today.  So, they, in effect, benefitted from not even being capable of winning the SEC West. So, eliminating those 2, that leaves Wisconsin, and UCF as undefeated or 1 loss teams.  My choice between those two would be UCF...an undefeated conference champ with a lot to prove, and a stage needed to try to prove it on.

7 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

In the situation we have this year, since the PAC 12 and Big 10 Champs both had 30 point losses or worse, I'd have seeded UCF. Here is my thinking. Fact is, Bama is fresh off their worst loss in years, PAC 12 and Big 10 Champs were obviously out, that left Auburn, Bama, and Wisconsin in that order.  Auburn had 3 losses (2 regular season, one in the SEC Championship), Bama has no wins over a team with less than 3 losses AND lost to Auburn a week and a half ago proving they shouldn't be ranked above them as it was proven on the field that Auburn is the superior team. IMO had Bama in fact made the SEC Championship game, they would be sitting with 2 losses today.  So, they, in effect, benefitted from not even being capable of winning the SEC West. So, eliminating those 2, that leaves Wisconsin, and UCF as undefeated or 1 loss teams.  My choice between those two would be UCF...an undefeated conference champ with a lot to prove, and a stage needed to try to prove it on.

UCF has no business in the playoff. Period. They are 12-0 based on the fact they played 2 legitimate teams. Virginia Tech would be 12-0 against that schedule. 

31 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

UCF has no business in the playoff. Period. They are 12-0 based on the fact they played 2 legitimate teams. Virginia Tech would be 12-0 against that schedule. 

Folks said the same thing about the 2006 Boise State team, and we all saw what happened there. For what it is worth, UCF's opponents have a better combined winning percentage this year than Boise's did in 2006, as well. So, under what circumstance would a non P5 school belong?  None of them play really tough schedules. I've watched UCF play 3 games this year, and they could give any of the teams in the CFP fits. IMO, VT would find a way to lose at least 1 of the games on UCF's schedule...possibly 2. The UCF score vs ECU is surprisingly similar to Tech's..  All I am saying is that there is no clear #4 this year, and the CFP committee claims that there is a way for non P5 schools to get in, and this was their chance to prove it with no P5 really having a legit argument as to why they would be left as the #4 seed. The committee failed to do so.

4 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

Wprst loss in years? A twelve point loss on the road to a top five at the time team is the worst loss??

On 12/5/2017 at 1:43 PM, sup_rbeast said:

Lets walk something back a moment.  Auburn beat Bama at home.  Auburn drilled UGA at home just 3-4 weeks ago right?  Georgia then walks over Auburn on a neutral field.  What is to say that Bama wouldnt have done the same a week later on a neutral field?

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

Lets walk something back a moment.  Auburn beat Bama at home.  Auburn drilled UGA at home just 3-4 weeks ago right?  Georgia then walks over Auburn on a neutral field.  What is to say that Bama wouldnt have done the same a week later on a neutral field?

Stripes defending Alabama? I never thought I'd live to see the day.