Cross-bracket or not?

tornado99

Well, Lord knows Im no Bama fan, but I give Jordan-Hare a lot of credit for the homefield advantage it is.  Thats not a knock to the team Auburn had this year either.   Had the not lost the games they did earlier, they would have a better argument, just like tOSU and SC.

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Well, Lord knows Im no Bama fan, but I give Jordan-Hare a lot of credit for the homefield advantage it is.  Thats not a knock to the team Auburn had this year either.   Had the not lost the games they did earlier, they would have a better argument, just like tOSU and SC.

If it was just the Clemson loss or LSU loss alone, I could see both SECCG teams making it. But with it being three losses, it's hard to put them in despite having probably best resume in CFB with Oklahoma. OU beat tOSU and TCU, AU beat Bama and UGA. 

Bamas wins aren't as strong, but only one loss being on the road to a top five team saved them. If Auburn had won by 21 instead of 12, Bamas probably at home. But the voters (rightfully so IMO) penalized tOSU greatly for the horrible loss against Iowa. Giving up 50 and losing by 40 to Iowa discounts any team. 

8 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Lets walk something back a moment.  Auburn beat Bama at home.  Auburn drilled UGA at home just 3-4 weeks ago right?  Georgia then walks over Auburn on a neutral field.  What is to say that Bama wouldnt have done the same a week later on a neutral field?

Without a serviceable RB, that’s quite possible. But, regardless of where the games happened, it’s quite possible none of us live to see a team knock off two #1’s in a 3 week span again. Still doesn’t change the fact that there was no team with a clear argument for the 4 seed. Committee shoulda proved to the world that they mean what claim to be true and seed a non P5 considering the mess we had at the end of the season. Here’s some food for thought: since they went to the CFP format, how many teams have made the playoff after losing the last game they played prior to the seeding? Only one...Bama. I’m sorry, they just don’t deserve the bid. If they wanted a one loss team that lost their last game, they could’ve taken Wisconsin. At least their loss came in a conference championship game and was closer than Bama’s loss. Lol...the Bama bias is simply pathetic.

Ok what about this scenario then...Bama beats Auburn wins the west and UGA beats Bama by about the same score as they did Auburn.  Bama still only one loss, who would have been 4 in that case?  I agree on the Wisconsin part but at least they didn't get blasted like the did before in the conference game.

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

You might have a Wisconsin argument had their schedule not been Charmin soft.  They did not beat anyone ranked above 20th on the year, and only played 2 ranked teams in the regular season.  

Bama's best win was a 3 loss team...and their second best was a 4 loss team.  Their schedule looked good on paper, but they went 1-1 in the only 2 legit challenges they faced.  they weren't good enough to even get to the SEC Championship, but were deemed a week later to be somehow better than the team that beat them to knock them out of even going.  People can say what they want about FSU, but even with the QB they aren't that great. Seeding Bama this year is a joke...bottom line. Like I said earlier, no P5 team had a legit argument if they were left out of the 4 seed...committee should have seeded UCF.

9 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

Bama's best win was a 3 loss team...and their second best was a 4 loss team.  Their schedule looked good on paper, but they went 1-1 in the only 2 legit challenges they faced.  they weren't good enough to even get to the SEC Championship, but were deemed a week later to be somehow better than the team that beat them to knock them out of even going.  People can say what they want about FSU, but even with the QB they aren't that great. Seeding Bama this year is a joke...bottom line. Like I said earlier, no P5 team had a legit argument if they were left out of the 4 seed...committee should have seeded UCF.

Bama has a chance to beat Clemson. UCF would get beat by 56. They should be nowhere near Clemson in a playoff. 

15 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Bama has a chance to beat Clemson. UCF would get beat by 56. They should be nowhere near Clemson in a playoff. 

There are a few teams with a chance to beat Clemson.  Tell me again who all the other teams are who lost their last game before being selected for the CFP...or to play for the National Championship in any scenario.  Bama shouldn't be there, period. The CFP has proven to be just artificial contrived drama for the sake of TV ratings...and fans just lap it up. It's no better than the BCS was.

22 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

There are a few teams with a chance to beat Clemson.  Tell me again who all the other teams are who lost their last game before being selected for the CFP...or to play for the National Championship in any scenario.  Bama shouldn't be there, period. The CFP has proven to be just artificial contrived drama for the sake of TV ratings...and fans just lap it up. It's no better than the BCS was.

You're right. There are a few teams with a chance. Oklahoma, UGA and Bama. UCF doesn't have a chance, and they wouldn't even if they were in the game. There's always going to be controversy under any system. And if Bama goes on to win the national title, you still gonna say they didn't deserve to get in? 

UCF should’ve and possibly would’ve gotten in if:

They beat SMU by more than 7 points. 31-24 final.

They don’t give up 42 points to South Florida.

It doesn’t require double overtime and 62 points do beat Memphis last week. They gave up 55! Points at home to Memphis. I like the little guy, but that’s not a deserving playoff resume’. 

Shut out SMU 31-0, beat USF 49-21, and beat Memphis handily 48-20 or so in regulation. That’s a much more considerable claim. You can’t play mid tier teams that close and expect to get in as a non P5 team, you have to be dominant in those games.

22 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

You're right. There are a few teams with a chance. Oklahoma, UGA and Bama. UCF doesn't have a chance, and they wouldn't even if they were in the game. There's always going to be controversy under any system. And if Bama goes on to win the national title, you still gonna say they didn't deserve to get in? 

Have you even watched UCF this year?  I have.  They could compete with any of the top 4.  As for teams who could beat Clemson, we know Syracuse can beat Clemson...so, I think nearly anyone in the Top 25 would have a puncher's chance of beating them as well.  IMO, the best team in it is Oklahoma.

Just now, sup_rbeast said:

Have you even watched UCF this year?  I have.  They could compete with any of the top 4.  As for teams who could beat Clemson, we know Syracuse can beat Clemson...so, I think nearly anyone in the Top 25 would have a puncher's chance of beating them as well.  IMO, the best team in it is Oklahoma.

I have watched them. 3 times. They are a good team, that played a weak schedule and at times didn't look impressive against that schedule. And Clemson lost their QB in the first quarter of that Cuse game. If Bryant plays the full game, Syracuse doesn't sniff Clemson. So no, not everyone has a puncher's chance against them. Oklahoma's defense will kill them. UGA will beat them, and Clemson will beat UGA by 7. Just my guess. 

18 minutes ago, Suit Up said:

UCF should’ve and possibly would’ve gotten in if:

They beat SMU by more than 7 points. 31-24 final.

They don’t give up 42 points to South Florida.

It doesn’t require double overtime and 62 points do beat Memphis last week. They gave up 55! Points at home to Memphis. I like the little guy, but that’s not a deserving playoff resume’. 

Shut out SMU 31-0, beat USF 49-21, and beat Memphis handily 48-20 or so in regulation. That’s a much more considerable claim. You can’t play mid tier teams that close and expect to get in as a non P5 team, you have to be dominant in those games.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the last team is to lose their final game before either the CFP seedings, or the BCS Selection, or just a bid to a regular 'ol Bowl with a possibility to win a national championship.  Until that is answered, Bama's inclusion is a sham IMO, and nothing you guys can argue or say will change that.  If you lose your last game, you don't deserve inclusion..period.  You should have to win under pressure to get in...not lose and get in anyway.

19 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the last team is to lose their final game before either the CFP seedings, or the BCS Selection, or just a bid to a regular 'ol Bowl with a possibility to win a national championship.  Until that is answered, Bama's inclusion is a sham IMO, and nothing you guys can argue or say will change that.  If you lose your last game, you don't deserve inclusion..period.  You should have to win under pressure to get in...not lose and get in anyway.

Every week should have equal importance. There should always be pressure to win whether it’s week 1 or 12, otherwise why even play. Saying they “lost the last week” is irrelevant. The entire season is supposed to have equal importance.

58 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the last team is to lose their final game before either the CFP seedings, or the BCS Selection, or just a bid to a regular 'ol Bowl with a possibility to win a national championship.  

Nebraska 2001.

2 hours ago, Suit Up said:

Every week should have equal importance. There should always be pressure to win whether it’s week 1 or 12, otherwise why even play. Saying they “lost the last week” is irrelevant. The entire season is supposed to have equal importance.

That's not how it works in any level of football. Granted, at the high school and Pro level you can lose the last week and get in...but the difference is that in high school, over half the teams make it and roughly 1/3 of the pro teams do.  In college, it's 4 out of 125...and with the importance put on the final weeks by the committee, no one should be able to lose their final game and back in to the CFP...I don't care who it is, what the money is, or anything else.  It's apparent that the CFP is all about appeasement and ratings...a sham.

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I have watched them. 3 times. They are a good team, that played a weak schedule and at times didn't look impressive against that schedule. And Clemson lost their QB in the first quarter of that Cuse game. If Bryant plays the full game, Syracuse doesn't sniff Clemson. So no, not everyone has a puncher's chance against them. Oklahoma's defense will kill them. UGA will beat them, and Clemson will beat UGA by 7. Just my guess. 

Not sold on any kind of defense out of the Big XII not that they need it just score 60 pts and you're probably going to win

2 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

That's not how it works in any level of football. Granted, at the high school and Pro level you can lose the last week and get in...but the difference is that in high school, over half the teams make it and roughly 1/3 of the pro teams do.  In college, it's 4 out of 125...and with the importance put on the final weeks by the committee, no one should be able to lose their final game and back in to the CFP...I don't care who it is, what the money is, or anything else.  It's apparent that the CFP is all about appeasement and ratings...a sham.

Luckily UCF plays Auburn, so we will see who is correct. If they hold there own I’ll admit I was wrong. If Auburn puts up over 50 which I expect and blows them out, then what I said will seem to hold true.

It's a business decision first and foremost because no other teams had a demonstrably better argument than Alabama. Simple as that. You can't play down Bamas schedule and prop up UCF, UCF played three quality teams all season. They had a three game season, only having to get up three times. Bama had six of those (FSU, LSU, MSU, TAMU, AU, OM). 

UT beat GT, got smacked around by Alabama. Vandy beat Kansas State, got smacked around by Alabama. When you're Alabama, or Clemson, or Oklahoma, every team has incentive to beat you. You're never the underdog. That's a tough proposition for college kids, you never get that edge. And playing quality teams back to back is rough. Injuries happen, look at Auburn and Alabama both. Bama has lost four starting LBs this season, and still lost only once. 

Look at the November schedule for Alabama. Playing LSU, at Mississippi State and at Auburn over the course of four weeks. Show me another school with that amount of quality games in such a short time frame. Auburn is only other team, but there's was five weeks IIRC. 

Not to mention Bama had three OOC wins over teams with 6+ wins. FSU was preseason #2, Fresno State won NINE games and Colorado State won seven. Three bowl teams OOC. Who else did that?

6 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Not sold on any kind of defense out of the Big XII not that they need it just score 60 pts and you're probably going to win

I think you read it wrong. I’m saying Oklahoma’s defense will kill them agaiant UGA. 

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Look at the November schedule for Alabama. Playing LSU, at Mississippi State and at Auburn over the course of four weeks. Show me another school with that amount of quality games in such a short time frame. Auburn is only other team, but there's was five weeks IIRC. 

Clemson had Auburn, @ Louisville and @ VT in a 4 week span, along with BC sandwiched in there, and they weren’t half bad this season. 

That would be the only team I could think of with a similar tough schedule. 

3 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Clemson had Auburn, @ Louisville and @ VT in a 4 week span, along with BC sandwiched in there, and they weren’t half bad this season. 

That would be the only team I could think of with a similar tough schedule. 

That's for sure a very rough slate. @UoL isn't a notorious tough place to play but having to face Lamar Jackson is an unenviable task. @VT is a very tough road game, arguably second toughest road ACC game after at Death Valley. 

I think @MSU is tougher than @UoL, and @Auburn is tougher than Auburn at home but playing @Tech is probably at least as tough as hosting LSU, this season. I didn't realize Clemson had such a tough start to their season, props to them. They prob repeat.