Cross-bracket or not?

tornado99

2 hours ago, sup_rbeast said:

Where does everyone get that the Championship game has to be the 2 best teams in the state? In no sport is the focus on determining who is second best...the focus is on determining a champion.  If you really want to watch something where first runner up matters, I'd suggest beauty pageants.  East vs West is fine...I would like to see the alternating of sites the semis between C&D and A&B, though.

If they can't get it right at the next level with the BCS or now the college playoffs how can we ever expect the all knowing ever powerful VHSL to do something right?

20 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

If they can't get it right at the next level with the BCS or now the college playoffs how can we ever expect the all knowing ever powerful VHSL to do something right?

I think the playoff committee nailed it. 

52 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

You know good and well you weren’t joking.  You said something idiotic, got exposed, and are trying to backpedal your way out of it.  You’ve been doing this crap for years.  Maybe you can ask Steph Curry how he’d handle this delicate situation.

Ok now you know how everyone is thinking when they post....good to know

And if you don't like what I post then just skip it

No ill just ask you since you seem to know everything about everything

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

Thing is, if the final isn't the two best teams, then one of the perceived best teams didn't live up to their end of the bargain. But still, the 2 best teams get in to begin with. If they meet along the way to the final, local fans get a treat in that they don't have to travel across the state to witness a showdown (usually). Who cares if they both don't reach the final? Life isn't perfect and life isn't fair...just how it is.

48 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Another argument for another day but Alabama, no....

Committee doesn't even know what's important.  Past few years said conference championship game was important.  This year they say it didn't matter.

2 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

Thing is, if the final isn't the two best teams, then one of the perceived best teams didn't live up to their end of the bargain. But still, the 2 best teams get in to begin with. If they meet along the way to the final, local fans get a treat in that they don't have to travel across the state to witness a showdown (usually). Who cares if they both don't reach the final? Life isn't perfect and life isn't fair...just how it is.

I think it works as well as anything is going to work.  No matter what they do there will always be issues.  My only real complaint about this year verses the previous few is the rematches.  I don't like rematches at any level.  To me part of the excitement of the playoffs is going to or playing someone that you normally don't.  I know there are equal part of people that love the second chance and what a great game it will/could be.  Personally I would rather drive to Appo or BSG or Glenvar, than to play a Graham or Richlands or Marion again from a Tazewell perspective.  That's not a knock at any of the places just I like to see something different.

50 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Only thing they nailed is the notion of a non Power 5 team getting in the CFP.  UCF and USC both had a better claim than Alabama or OSU.  Both not only won their divisions but also won their Conferences (Alabama did neither..and 3 loss Auburn beat them).  Plus, neither had an embarrassing loss, which is more than OSU can say.  UCF may play in a crappy conference, but still, they are undefeated. Truth is, no one had really had a legit claim to get in over UCF or USC either one.  If a non Power 5 were ever going to get put in, this was the year to do it.

5 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Committee doesn't even know what's important.  Past few years said conference championship game was important.  This year they say it didn't matter.

No they didn't. They didn't think it mattered last year when Penn. St. won the Big 10 and they didn't think it mattered this year when Ohio St. won the Big 10 title. It's not "let's put the 4 best conference champions in the playoff", it's let's put the 4 BEST TEAMS in the playoff, and they nailed it. 

7 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yet another classic....great job

I certainly don’t need your validation, but I thought so as well.  That’s why I posted it.  

But I’m not finished with you yet.  You never denied that you DIDN’T lie.  You simply made a sophomoric retort that I knew what you were thinking (which from context was obvious, hence the 4 posts rebutting your ridiculous assertion that you failed to answer).  And you had the cowardice to edit out your little cursing spasm, as if I’m not a big boy and can’t handle it.

Let’s see how long we can keep this charade going.  Dance, puppet, dance!!!

6 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Sure didn’t matter with Penn State last year...

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

No they didn't. They didn't think it mattered last year when Penn. St. won the Big 10 and they didn't think it mattered this year when Ohio St. won the Big 10 title. It's not "let's put the 4 best conference champions in the playoff", it's let's put the 4 BEST TEAMS in the playoff, and they nailed it. 

Ask TCU about that...

22 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

If wins and losses don't matter, and championships don't matter, explain to me how Alabama is better than Auburn. There's a reason Auburn was playing in Atlanta Saturday and Bama wasn't.  With a healthy back, Auburn is better than UGA or Bama and that was proven.  By the time of the CFP games, Auburn would have both Johnson and Pettway healthy and be better than UGA or Bama...so that argument holds no water. Going by that logic, Auburn deserved the 4 seed over Bama...after all they had better wins, and won head to head. 'Nuff said.

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

Sure didn’t matter with Penn State last year...

Alabama beat nobody this year of caliber.  Their loss wasn't even close against Auburn.  OSU did knock off the Badgers but I know they had the bad Iowa loss.  UCF deserved a shot at it.  Even the arguement that Auburn that knocked off two #1 could have been there.  Even USC could make a compelling case.  Quite simply Alabama got in because they are Alabama

The conference championship being important is a dumb argument anyway considering there's 5 conferences and only 4 spots. Take alabama out of the equation this year and compare USC & Ohio State.. USC had just as good of a resume as OSU. At least USC's 30 point loss was to a team that was a top 10 team at the time. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Didn't have a conference championship. That's why the Big 12 now has one. 

Exactly my point it was implied because they didn't have one they lost out.  Now they are saying that conference title game doesn't matter

1 minute ago, stu_bean said:

Alabama beat nobody this year of caliber.  Their loss wasn't even close against Auburn.  OSU did knock off the Badgers but I know they had the bad Iowa loss.  UCF deserved a shot at it.  Even the arguement that Auburn that knocked off two #1 could have been there.  Even USC could make a compelling case.  Quite simply Alabama got in because they are Alabama

Alabama couldn’t help that the SEC West + Tennessee + FSU were way down...and even then, Alabama beat MSU and LSU (to whom Auburn lost), which both spent time in the Top 25.  People seem to forget this...

Just now, EH31 said:

The conference championship being important is a dumb argument anyway considering there's 5 conferences and only 4 spots. Take alabama out of the equation this year and compare USC & Ohio State.. USC had just as good of a resume as OSU. At least USC's 30 point loss was to a team that was a top 10 team at the time. 

I agree completely with both points.  Somebody is going to get left out no matter what and sometimes the strength of conference hurts...PAC12

There are plenty of arguments to be made for several teams and it's the same as here in state.  There is no perfect solution.  Just have to work with what we have and it gives us plenty of fodder to complain about on the message board!

3 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Alabama couldn’t help that the SEC West + Tennessee + FSU were way down...and even then, Alabama beat MSU and LSU (to whom Auburn lost), which both spent time in the Top 25.  People seem to forget this...

MSU should have beat Bama and LSU lost to Troy...

Could also point out that UGA got spanked up and down the field by Auburn the first time...

FSU should have been great this year if the hadn't lost their QB.  I venture to say their only losses would have been Clemson and Bama.  Dumpster fire of Tenn is another story

7 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

They also forget that they thumped FSU when FSU had their phenom QB. If Francois doesn't get hurt in that game, FSU is 10-2 and ranked 12th and Bama has the win the fans don't give them credit for. They had it with FSU. 

23 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Regardless, they beat no one, lost to Auburn who went into the SEC Championship at #2, and failed to win the West.  Alabama should have been able to finish no higher than 1 spot behind Auburn in the final rankings. No gain should be made from being idle on Championship Saturday because you couldn't get there. It's not like Bama suddenly got better than Auburn in a week just because UGA beat Auburn...that's ridiculous.

31 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I certainly don’t need your validation, but I thought so as well.  That’s why I posted it.  

But I’m not finished with you yet.  You never denied that you DIDN’T lie.  You simply made a sophomoric retort that I knew what you were thinking (which from context was obvious, hence the 4 posts rebutting your ridiculous assertion that you failed to answer).  And you had the cowardice to edit out your little cursing spasm, as if I’m not a big boy and can’t handle it.

Let’s see how long we can keep this charade going.  Dance, puppet, dance!!!

Yes I edited it out because it was uncalled for even if true...I'm done with you...if you feel like you win them congrats...I know what I posted and how it was meant but you know more than me about it I guess....good day Mr know everything