2A Teams To Watch In 2018

Mountain Football

6 minutes ago, 99Bama said:

What teams will be on the rise? What teams will be rebuilding? I'm doing my best to avoid basketball! Lol

Just give in and make the trip to a place Gate City plays and watch Mac while you have a chance lol. 

That kid is simply just amazing. I was in barber shop talking to a kid from a 6a school in Norfolk and he knows about Mac. I was surprised. Cant wait to see what he does on next level

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Just give in and make the trip to a place Gate City plays and watch Mac while you have a chance lol. 

Buckingham will be back strong if what im hearing is correct about a coaching change. Im hearing they have some solid talent jv and down. They will be coming strong in next few yrs.

appo will be in a rebuilding phase. I think we will be competitive but yet to see how much. We losing many of our skill positions. Biggest worry for me is at QB. We really never had a quality backup this year

Bluefield will still be in the mix, because they are Bluefield, but I wouldn't want to have to task of trying to replace Mookie & Truck. Maybe it's time for Freddy to ride off into the sunset? 

6 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Huge question marks in 2A in 2018.  Normally, I’d be high on Gate City, because Gate City tends to overexcel when the rest of SWVA is rebuilding, but you know...

I think Virginia High could surprise...

In the very first Top 10 poll of the season, I explained why I was more than just a homer as to why I put VHS in the list. My reasoning is too long to post it again, but the gist was because of the talented Junior class.

Sports fans in Bristol could tell years ago that the VHS football teams of 2017 and 2018 and the baseball teams of 2018 and 2019 could possibly be something special because of this class.

It's no surprise for VHS to be good at baseball, but it is a surprise if they're competitive in football. 2018 is expected to be the best football team that VHS has had in decades. 

This Junior class is a big group of hard working, smart, and athletic kids, that VHS just doesn't usually see the likes of from a football standpoint. They may have recently gotten stronger with a family who recently moved to the area from Alabama. They didn't move up here in time for the young man to play football but he is on the basketball team. Word has it that he is a football stud from a big school down there. I watched him in our basketball opener the other night. You can most definitely see the athleticism. We'll see how that athleticism translates to football next fall.

Anyways, I'm not saying this team should win State, or anything like that, but they will be good. But, we are talking about high school kids and you just never really know how things are going to play out from one year to the next.

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

Bluefield will still be in the mix, because they are Bluefield, but I wouldn't want to have to task of trying to replace Mookie & Truck. Maybe it's time for Freddy to ride off into the sunset? 

Bluefield will be loaded next year. Two excellent Juniors will replace Truck and Mookie. Only 5 seniors this year. Four of five linemen are back. Arnold Martin and Juice Edwards aren't Mookie and Truck but they are better than everyone else's backs. The interesting year will be in two years when this Junior class is gone.

I agree that Union will take a step back, but a small one IMO. Offensively I think the Bears will be solid. Hopefully Turner will be healthy, 3 good OL back, good TE in Guerrant, Falin should be tough in the passing game and kicking game. A few good RBs back also. My concern is on the other side, losing some real talent there that will be tough to replace right away. Gonna need some younger kids to come along quick. I think 7-3 would be expected, maybe better if things come along. 

My way too early, uniformed predictions for 2018

SWD 1. Graham 2. Va High  3.Richlands  4.Marion  5.Tazewell  6. Lebanon

Mountain-1. Ridgeview 2. Union 3. Abingdon 4. Lee 5. Gate City 6. Battle 7, Cental-Wise

Graham edges Va High for Region D Crown

I think Union will be sneaky good. As others have said above the defense will be the side that needs help. However, we do have Polier, Cooper, and Jenkins coming back. That’s obviously not a lot but those are some solid ball players. On the offensive side we should be very solid on the Bailey Turner comeback tour. 

7 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

My way too early, uniformed predictions for 2018

SWD 1. Graham 2. Va High  3.Richlands  4.Marion  5.Tazewell  6. Lebanon

Mountain-1. Ridgeview 2. Union 3. Abingdon 4. Lee 5. Gate City 6. Battle 7, Cental-Wise

Graham edges Va High for Region D Crown

Yes, its way to early, and the big question for all the Richlands fans is, "Will Mance Be back?"  That's an unknown factor that has a lot to do with the direction of the football program, and how next season will go.  Richlands should have a good season, just how good depends on who is coaching. We are in a "wait and see mode", and with all the area teams improving, and the same schedule next year, I see Richlands about the same as this year, but with an improved record against the 2A schools.

15 hours ago, who? said:

GC will suck as long as Akers is there....The AD is even worse.   GC getting what they deserve...In two years Basketball be the same too, Vermillion will give it up

You must know Scotty very well, he has that basketball pipeline set up for a long time. Even without Mac, they will be the best team in the Mountain District and Regional contenders for the foreseeable future.