Chilhowie vs. Riverheads - 1A State Championship

EH31

1 minute ago, CHS90 said:

The thing is they have a real chance of winning it! They have gotten better very week and the talent has been there all year.

Riverheads is going to drill them back into the 1970s, and that’s OK.  Chilhowie has had an incredible season and is well primed to make a similar run next season.  

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Riverheads is going to drill them back into the 1970s, and that’s OK.  Chilhowie has had an incredible season and is well primed to make a similar run next season.  

Lol..I see you got jokes. Keep sleeping on the Warriors. I have a feeling that the trophy is come back to the west and probably stay there for several years. Either in Galax or Chilhowie..

BristolSports @BHCSports

VHSL 1A STATE FOOTBALL: Chilhowie's Cale didn't flinch against Galax:

BristolSports @BHCSports 
VHSL 1A STATE FOOTBALL: A 47-year wait over for Chilhowie as Warriors beat Galax to return to state title game: http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/vhsl-a-state-football-a--year-wait-over-for/article_34238d44-d7d4-11e7-abef-375ce52ed842.html 

DQGPWJoWkAAg0ab.jpg

Chilhowie quarterback Zack Cale scrambles to get away from Galax defender Christian Brown on Saturday.

CRAIG WORRELL | GALAX GAZETTE

The thing that everyone has failed to talk about is Chilhowie's defense. The d-line is hard to trap because they dont shoot up the field when turned loose for the trap....they either squeeze down or sit I think their middle linebackers flow very good and are 2 of the best in SWVA. Chilhowie also has good run support from their d backs especially the safety. Don't sleep on the Warriors. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they beat Rivershead. 

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I think you need to take some aspirin and chill out about the Warriors good season before you have a heart attack. Not sure what you got against Chilhowie, but it sure does get under your skin. Have a nice day, My Friend 

29 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I really didn't expect this. I knew the Warriors had gotten better as the season went on but I didn't expect them to make it past Galax. How did Chilhowie do with the Galax run game? I hadn't seen any stats yet

Galax had 239 rushing. Had only one big run. The Warriors run defense is very good. Pass defense has gotten better over the past several weeks. 

Stats and scoring per Bristol Herald Courier

SCORING

C - Sanchez 28 FG

G - Hutchens 15 pass from Evans (Vaught kick)

C - Russell 60 pass from Cale (Sanchez kick)

G - Vaught 70 run (Vaught kick)

G - B. Brown 4 run (Vaught kick)

C - Doss 28 pass from Cale

C - Sanchez 2 run (Sanchez kick)

TEAM STATS

First Downs -     C 16, G 15

Rushes-Yards-   C 41-177, G 44-239

Passing Yards -  C 204, G 89

C-A-I -                  C 8-14-1, G 7-12-1

Fumbles-Lost -     C 1-1, G 2-2

Penalties-Yards    C 10-55, G 5-30

Punts-Average      C 3 - 35.7, G 4 - 33.5

INDIVIDUAL STATS

RUSHING - C  -  Cale 21-97, Sanchez 15-73, Ant. Blevins 4-7, Branson 1-0;  G  - B. Brown 25-109, Vaught 5-87, Beeman 11-33, Evans 2-0, Dickson 1-0

PASSING - C  - Cale 8-14-1, 204;  G -  Evans 7-12-1, 89

RECEIVING - C -  Russell 2-85, Doss 2-64, Ant. Blevins 2-12, Adams 1-25, Jones 1-18;  G -  Hutchens 2-31, Barnes 2-14, Ashworth 1-26, Spurlin 1-15, Bryson 1-3

Riverheads is not Galax, and they are definitely not Galax without Peoples. I hope Chilhowie knocks them off, but I would probably bet a large sum of money that they won’t. riverheads is good. They’re only losses are to 2A central Woodstock and the team that knocked Woodstock out of the playoffs, Robert E Lee, who we all know is in the 2A title game.

2 hours ago, CHS90 said:

Lol..I see you got jokes. Keep sleeping on the Warriors. I have a feeling that the trophy is come back to the west and probably stay there for several years. Either in Galax or Chilhowie..

I’ve been here about 17 years, you’ve been here 4 months.  And like so many fly-by-nighters, you vastly overrated SWVA in comparison to what the rest of the state offers.

Listen up.  I’m going to tell you just like I told the Richlands folks last season.  Take gratification and honor in that which you have accomplished this season, because on Saturday, you are going to meet a team that is your superior in each and every facet in the game.  You will be lucky if this game is still in doubt at halftime.

1 hour ago, SWVAFB said:

I think you need to take some aspirin and chill out about the Warriors good season before you have a heart attack. Not sure what you got against Chilhowie, but it sure does get under your skin. Have a nice day, My Friend 

I was laughed out of the room back in August for suggesting that Chilhowie was a darkhorse to not only win Region D, but challenge Galax for a trip to the title game.  Funny how y’all forget this crap when it comes time to cash in on these predictions.

I’m not crapping on Chilhowie.  I’m just being a realist, something that always seems to get lost on this board when the later rounds of the playoffs roll around.  I’ll take the aspirin if you lay off the ganja.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I’ve been here about 17 years, you’ve been here 4 months.  And like so many fly-by-nighters, you vastly overrated SWVA in comparison to what the rest of the state offers.

Listen up.  I’m going to tell you just like I told the Richlands folks last season.  Take gratification and honor in that which you have accomplished this season, because on Saturday, you are going to meet a team that is your superior in each and every facet in the game.  You will be lucky if this game is still in doubt at halftime.

I didn't know the amount of time that you have been on a forum determines how much you know about football. Sorry but i have known, played, studied and understood football a lot longer than 4 months. From the way you talk, any west team should have just skipped football this year or have a game before handing out the trophy. I never think of handing someone a championship without waying both sides. I never said that it would be easy or a blowout but I believe in these kids and they believe in themselves. Anyone can be beat on any given day. Riverheads aren't the same team as last year and the Warriors aren't the same team as in August and September. I have nothing against your opinion but I have mine. 

Luck won't have anything to do with the score being close at halftime. Lol

Riverheads will more than likely be 14 point favorites. I don't think Chilhowie will slow down their run game or stop them from scoring but I think the Warriors will be able to score some points of their own. I just hope it's a good game. This will make the 3rd year in a row that I've watched Riverheads in a state game. Riverheads is like Giles. If you stop the run game, you win. But if you try stopping the run game by putting 9 in the box, then you lose.

4 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Riverheads will more than likely be 14 point favorites. I don't think Chilhowie will slow down their run game or stop them from scoring but I think the Warriors will be able to score some points of their own. I just hope it's a good game. This will make the 3rd year in a row that I've watched Riverheads in a state game. Riverheads is like Giles. If you stop the run game, you win. But if you try stopping the run game by putting 9 in the box, then you lose.

Riverheads reminds me a lot of Giles.

Both are well-coached, disciplined teams that run an old-school offense to perfection.    

I will say this, baring injury, Chillhowie should make another run at state next year as well.

Got a chance to cover their game v. Hurley and was impressed by their team speed and aggressive defense.

Some good underclass talent in this year's team.

As much as I would love to see a state title comeback to SWVA, its not happening here! Riverheads just has too much firepower for Chilhowie to handle. Cant see Chilhowie throwing anything at Riverheads they haven't already seen this season. Good luck to Chilhowie though. They'll need it for sure!

9 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Riverheads reminds me a lot of Giles.

Both are well-coached, disciplined teams that run an old-school offense to perfection.    

It was a wild game back in 2013 when Riverheads came to Giles. It was true smash mouth football for all 48 minutes.

6 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

A tremendous up hill battle for Chilhowie. I wish them well and should they pull off the upset it will be one of the greatest ever. I think I will go to the game just to root for them.

I wish Chilhowie all the success, but I am afraid they are about to get Appomattoxed. Riverheads is just bigger, stronger and faster.