Chilhowie vs. Riverheads - 1A State Championship

EH31

Riverheads has all the intangibles going for them in this game... with Robert E. Lee also being there Saturday, all of Staunton will probably be there supporting the Gladiators.  I hope Marion and especially Northwood fans can bury the hatchet for one week and all of Smyth County shows up in support for the spear slingers.  They will need it.  I'll be on the Chilhowie side Saturday cheering you on.

Guys I have been watching SWVA football for 30 years. Chilhowie has a chance for many reasons but I will speak on two. First sometimes teams just get on a roll and play very well and magic happens (1988 Jonesville Bullddogs) and this year Riverheads are not the Riverheads of the last few years. That is not a slam to Chilhowie but just the truth. I think Riverheads pulls away late but give Chilhowie credit I think they are going to surprise a lot of people. 

7 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Does one ticket get you in to see both games at " the town we aren't allowed to mention"?

Yes, but you can NOT leave between games.  If you do, you must pay to re-enter.  Sucks too, because with Riverheads playing in the 1A game, it will most likely FLY by leaving at the least a 2 hour break between games.

10 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Well, there's my answer on whether the rest of Smyth County would bury the hatchet for one week. #RivalriesNeverDie  Lol

I can pull for swva teams except for Chilhowie and Abingdon and I'd pull against them even in a potato sack race lol 

11 minutes ago, Canes00 said:

I can pull for swva teams except for Chilhowie and Abingdon and I'd pull against them even in a potato sack race lol 

So you can go for Northwood, just not Chilhowie?

I know in the Tale of Smyth County, I know Chilhowie and Northwood hate each other and I guess apparently so do Marion and Chilhowie...

1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I know in the Tale of Smyth County, I know Chilhowie and Northwood hate each other and I guess apparently so do Marion and Chilhowie...

Yeah I pull for Northwood unless they play Marion 

43 minutes ago, local_insight said:

No hard feelings to the Chilhowie people, but this may get ugly fast. Riverheads by how many every they want to score. 

I'm sure CHS90 will be upset with this reply, however put your money where you mouth is. I got $200 on Riverheads. 

No, no, I got $1,000 on Riverheads. 

Sorry dude, I don't bet on high school kids. They aren't professionals. They are kids playing their hearts out. Why would I be upset?..lol..I think it's funny when the underdog is not given a chance and walks away with the trophy..

38 minutes ago, Canes00 said:

But would you pull for Chilhowie/Abingdon if they played ISIS. 

34 minutes ago, CHS90 said:

Sorry dude, I don't bet on high school kids. They aren't professionals. They are kids playing their hearts out. Why would I be upset?..lol..I think it's funny when the underdog is not given a chance and walks away with the trophy..

I never said I wasn't pulling for SWVA teams. I'm just being realistic. 

Two big points, 

1. Riverheads is not the juggernaut that they were last year by far. That was one of the best high school teams that  I seen play. Chilhowie will pass on them and move the ball. The QB is a danger when scrambling as well. And they love the zone read in between the tackles which is Riverheads weekness. 

2. Chilhowie on the other hand had everything roll their way Saturday, Galax fumbled twice when driving which really changed the momentum of the game. The QB threw some bombs that just landed on a dime. Not taking anything  away from Chilhowie they played their hearts out but heres the thing. They had all of that go their way and still had to come from behind to beat a Galax teamin the last couple minutes,  that in all  honesty is a shell of the team that they have been all year after losing  Peoples ( who has rushed for over 4k yards the past 3 Years. Which left Galax with 5 seniors and a  bunch of Freshman and Sophomores   Again not taking anything  away from Chilhowie I hope they get them a ring. 

40 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Two big points, 

1. Riverheads is not the juggernaut that they were last year by far. That was one of the best high school teams that  I seen play. Chilhowie will pass on them and move the ball. The QB is a danger when scrambling as well. And they love the zone read in between the tackles which is Riverheads weekness. 

2. Chilhowie on the other hand had everything roll their way Saturday, Galax fumbled twice when driving which really changed the momentum of the game. The QB threw some bombs that just landed on a dime. Not taking anything  away from Chilhowie they played their hearts out but heres the thing. They had all of that go their way and still had to come from behind to beat a Galax teamin the last couple minutes,  that in all  honesty is a shell of the team that they have been all year after losing  Peoples ( who has rushed for over 4k yards the past 3 Years. Which left Galax with 5 seniors and a  bunch of Freshman and Sophomores   Again not taking anything  away from Chilhowie I hope they get them a ring. 

I've read your commentary on the "other site".  Welcome!

All of 1A football is down this season as compared to recent years with the exception of Narrows and Chlhowie.  Any of the Galax, Clintwood, Haysi, Riverheads, Essex and George Wythe teams of the past 5-6 seasons would have dominated from the opening quarter of the opening game of this season.  With that said, I wish Chilhowie all the best and will be rooting for anyone from SWVA at this juncture of the season.  But Riverheads will win this game going away!

I have said on this site for a year, if you're going to get Galax, get them now.  The group coming up through the middle school is going to be something special!

3 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

It's a weird balance of power. For most folks, Marion and Chilhowie is a friendly, almost sibling like rivalry, although for some folks it's very personal. Northwood HATES Chilhowie, whereas most Chilhowie folks don't even consider the Panthers to be in the same stratosphere as Marion in regards to a rivalry. And then you've got Marion/Northwood which is really only a rivalry by technicality. Marion had a pretty healthy rivalry with R.B. Worthy/Saltville many, many moons ago, but they rarely played Rich Valley past 1970 and had a very happy relationship with the Steers. In fact, it's not unusual to see groups of Rich Valley alumns at Marion for football games rather than Northwood, because 30 years later, they still haven't accepted consolidation and would rather cheer for Marion than a "Saltville team."

I'm beyond happy for Chilhowie but I honestly think RH will win by 5+ tds. Possibly more if Chilhowie is caught of guard by just how damn good RH is. Chilhowie has seen nothing even close to RH especially in the way they are machine like in execution of the coaches game plan. I hope that Chilhowie wins I really do but I tonn they are just to young for what they are about to face.