Chilhowie vs. Riverheads - 1A State Championship

EH31

16 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

It's a weird balance of power. For most folks, Marion and Chilhowie is a friendly, almost sibling like rivalry, although for some folks it's very personal. Northwood HATES Chilhowie, whereas most Chilhowie folks don't even consider the Panthers to be in the same stratosphere as Marion in regards to a rivalry. And then you've got Marion/Northwood which is really only a rivalry by technicality. Marion had a pretty healthy rivalry with R.B. Worthy/Saltville many, many moons ago, but they rarely played Rich Valley past 1970 and had a very happy relationship with the Steers. In fact, it's not unusual to see groups of Rich Valley alumns at Marion for football games rather than Northwood, because 30 years later, they still haven't accepted consolidation and would rather cheer for Marion than a "Saltville team."

As a Rich Valley/Northwood guy he is pretty well spot on! I am one of the HATES chilhowie people.  I am really conflicted about this game, on one hand my Godson is a Senior for chilhowie on the other I can't recall a time that I have EVER rooted for them to win. (didn't want Galax to win either)  I guess I will do as I did last week, not attend the game and pull for the other team, to not win. 

For some reason  this Chilhowie team reminds me of when Galax was undefeated and lost to Clintwood, and a similar game when Rivershead was undefeated  and Galax beat them...should be either a blowout by Rivershead or a really really  close win by Chilhowie,  can't make up my mind yet, I will be pulling  for the underdogs Chilhowie Warrior's  myself. 

8 hours ago, Galax _Maroon _Tide32 said:

For some reason  this Chilhowie team reminds me of when Galax was undefeated and lost to Clintwood, and a similar game when Rivershead was undefeated  and Galax beat them...should be either a blowout by Rivershead or a really really  close win by Chilhowie,  can't make up my mind yet, I will be pulling  for the underdogs Chilhowie Warrior's  myself. 

RIverheads lost two very close games to two top quality Class 2 teams.   One of which will be playing for a Class 2 state championship Saturday in Salem.  I'm not sure anyone outside of Essex and Sussex Central can compete with them this year.  Class A West is down across the board this year with the exception of Narrows and Chilhowie.  I don't see either having risen enough to beat any of those three teams out east.  Just calling it like I see it!

It's Riverheads, not Rivershead.  Represent Galax with some class and dignity, please.  The actions of a few reflect on the whole, whether negatively or positively!  Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

I'm a CHS alumni and I can be realistic and say that Riverheads will win by 3+ TD. Chilhowie doesn't have the depth or the size like they do. Riverheads are playing against far more superior teams throughout the season. As someone else mentioned, Chilhowie got some lucky turnovers against Galax. Also, go ahead and commit 10 penalties in a state game and see what happens. I wish I could make the trip to Salem to support them and it would be cool that they win, but they will not.

20 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Game has been moved to Sunday. Along with every other state title game. 

Matthew Hatfield Retweeted

HSSportstalkVaPreps @HSSportstalk941

The 2017 VHSL State Football Championships have been POSTPONED to Sunday due to winter weather advisory.

2017 VHSL Football Championships Postponed Until Sunday

Charlottesville, Va. - Due to the winter weather advisory forecast of 4-6 inches of snow expected across various parts of Virginia beginning Friday night through Saturday, all championship football games for all Classes scheduled for Saturday, December 9 are postponed and are re-scheduled for Sunday, December 10. This decision was reached with the utmost concern for travel safety for all participants, teams, and fans.

All kickoff times remain the same and at the same locations.

Sunday, December 10 Schedule:

Class 1 Final at Salem – Riverheads (11-2) vs. Chilhowie (11-3) – Noon

Class 2 Final at Salem – Appomattox County (13-1) vs. R.E. Lee-Staunton – 4:30 pm

Class 3 Final at William & Mary – Heritage-Lynchburg (13-1) vs. Hopewell (10-4) – Noon

Class 4 Final at William & Mary – Louisa County (14-0) vs. Salem-Salem (12-2) - 5:30 pm

Class 5 Final at Hampton University – Highland Springs (13-1) vs. Tuscarora (12-2) – Noon

Class 6 Final at Hampton University – Westfield (14-0) vs. Oscar Smith (12-2) – 4:30 pm

great state

1 hour ago, stu_bean said:

I wonder how bad attendance will be affected by that?  Would have thought they push the start times by an hour at least.

But does an hour really help? Most of these teams are traveling at least an hour or two to get to their destinations. If you push the noon games to one the fans are still going to have to be there at noon, and that means leaving at 10 or 11, and in some cases even earlier. You'd have to make the games 3 and 7 to truly get around churchgoers.  And 7 on a Sunday in mid-December will push a crowd away anyways lol.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

But does an hour really help? Most of these teams are traveling at least an hour or two to get to their destinations. If you push the noon games to one the fans are still going to have to be there at noon, and that means leaving at 10 or 11, and in some cases even earlier. You'd have to make the games 3 and 7 to truly get around churchgoers.  And 7 on a Sunday in mid-December will push a crowd away anyways lol.

Probably won't matter either way as so many people freak out about a snowflake falling and won't get out.

Just now, local_insight said:

I say play them in the snow. State Championship game in the snow, what would be more memorable?

"But we have to lookout for the safety of everyone traveling"

translation from VHSL to common speak "We have to lookout for our pockets not getting full by people not traveling in snow"

Bad news for the rest of 1A.

"...I only have eight seniors on this year's team and some of them weren't even there two years ago.  We've got a ton of sophomores and juniors and we start two freshmen.  We truly are a young football team."

Robert Casto, Riverheads' Head Coach

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/class-football-championship-casto-has-riverheads-back-in-familiar-territory/article_08694144-dba8-11e7-9f8c-e70114f4a38b.html

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Bad news for the rest of 1A.

"...I only have eight seniors on this year's team and some of them weren't even there two years ago.  We've got a ton of sophomores and juniors and we start two freshmen.  We truly are a young football team."

Robert Casto, Riverheads' Head Coach

http://www.heraldcourier.com/sports/class-football-championship-casto-has-riverheads-back-in-familiar-territory/article_08694144-dba8-11e7-9f8c-e70114f4a38b.html

Galax is same way. 

14 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Galax is same way. 

Yes they are.  I think sixcat's assessment of Galax has been spot-on.  Certainly Chilhowie will have a say in all this next year.

I just thought it was worth noting that Riverheads is not going away soon.

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Yes they are.  I think sixcat's assessment of Galax has been spot-on.  Certainly Chilhowie will have a say in all this next year.

I just thought it was worth noting that Riverheads is not going away soon.

I think it's possible that with the current format, we could see the exact same title game in 1A for three straight years with Galax and Riverheads.

Chilhowie I agree will not go away next year, but I think Galax only improves and could be the West king for a few years in a row.