Postseason: SWVA Top 10

Deleted Account

I don’t know if @V-Cats intended to do a postseason SWVA Top 10, but I think it might be a fun exercise to get rid of the “what now” bummer that always strikes after the championship games have been played and the footballs put away.

Mine:

(1) Bluefield

(2) Union

(3) Graham

(4) Giles

(5) Pulaski County

(6) Marion

(7) Chilhowie

(8) Galax

(9) Virginia

(10) Richlands (yep, at 4-7)

57 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I don’t know if @V-Cats intended to do a postseason SWVA Top 10, but I think it might be a fun exercise to get rid of the “what now” bummer that always strikes after the championship games have been played and the footballs put away.

Mine:

(1) Bluefield

(2) Union

(3) Graham

(4) Giles

(5) Pulaski County

(6) Marion

(7) Chilhowie

(8) Galax

(9) Virginia

(10) Richlands (yep, at 4-7)

Got to agree with this. Would be a toss up for me on 1 and 2. Would loved to see the two play. As for Richlands, I see posts about them being one playmaker away from beating Union. I just don't see it. What some fail to realize is the rivalry aspect of those two games. Richlands is stuck in Union's heads almost as bad as they are in Grahams heads. That Richlands defense was pretty good though. 

1. Union

2. Bluefield

3. Graham

4. Giles

5. Marion

6. Pulaski County

7. Grayson County

8. VA High

9. Chilhowie

10. Ridgeview

I'd also give an honorable mention to Fort, who very quietly had a solid season, after manning up and moving up an enrollment classification.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Got to agree with this. Would be a toss up for me on 1 and 2. Would loved to see the two play. As for Richlands, I see posts about them being one playmaker away from beating Union. I just don't see it. What some fail to realize is the rivalry aspect of those two games. Richlands is stuck in Union's heads almost as bad as they are in Grahams heads. That Richlands defense was pretty good though. 

Richlands is so difficult to rank.  All those close losses, especially the one to Union in Round 1 where I still believe Richlands would have won the game were it not for Mance refusing to run clock while nursing that lead in the 4th.  In terms of talent alone, they should probably be slotted in the slot below Marion.  But those 7 losses...

On 12/11/2017 at 6:35 AM, UVAObserver said:

Richlands is so difficult to rank.  All those close losses, especially the one to Union in Round 1 where I still believe Richlands would have won the game were it not for Mance refusing to run clock while nursing that lead in the 4th.  In terms of talent alone, they should probably be slotted in the slot below Marion.  But those 7 losses...

its not really that hard. Have you ever seen a team ranked in any poll ever that only won 36% of their games? 

4 minutes ago, EH31 said:

its not really that hard. Have you ever seen a team ranked in any poll ever that only won 36% of their games? 

When that team loses to 6 teams that have a combined 5 regular season losses, 2 of which play in a higher classification, 1 of which won a state championship in its classification, then yes, the rules should be skewed when considering that team’s strength.

36 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

When that team loses to 6 teams that have a combined 5 regular season losses, 2 of which play in a higher classification, 1 of which won a state championship in its classification, then yes, the rules should be skewed when considering that team’s strength.

I'm well aware of who they lost to, but a loss is a loss. And 7 losses is 7 losses. If you're power ranking teams on who you think are the best then that logic can be used. But I've never seen a team with a 36% win percentage ever get the benefit of the doubt in an end of the year poll. 

18 hours ago, EH31 said:

I'm well aware of who they lost to, but a loss is a loss. And 7 losses is 7 losses. If you're power ranking teams on who you think are the best then that logic can be used. But I've never seen a team with a 36% win percentage ever get the benefit of the doubt in an end of the year poll. 

I got chastised harshly for this strategy during the season, so I didn't vote anymore.  Lol.