ALL STAR GAME

jarhead24219

ONE MORE SATURDAY, we all should go to UVA WISE to watch JAMES MITCHELL one last time in high school.There is something special about high school football, ..no money or fame or bs NCAA  rules , just pure football. Has anyone seen the team members on each squad? if so can it be posted

I'm hearing 2 boys from Narrows made the squad.  I would think it would be Mikey McKinney and Jake Martin but I'm not 100% on that.  Nice accomplishment for them if so.  Also 2nd year in a row Narrows has had a rep.  Always nice to see.

6 hours ago, redtiger said:

The all star game is the same day as the Bates Wrestling Tournament at... the Convocation Center.  Traffic will be a nightmare. If you're not there at 6am then you're not getting a parking spot

A solid pat on the back for whomever planned this weekend!

is james playing in this game?i was told they have a basketball game saturday in tennessee

On 12/11/2017 at 9:54 AM, jarhead24219 said:

ONE MORE SATURDAY, we all should go to UVA WISE to watch JAMES MITCHELL one last time in high school.There is something special about high school football, ..no money or fame or bs NCAA  rules , just pure football. Has anyone seen the team members on each squad? if so can it be posted

21 hours ago, redtiger said:

The all star game is the same day as the Bates Wrestling Tournament at... the Convocation Center.  Traffic will be a nightmare. If you're not there at 6am then you're not getting a parking spot

I don't see it as a nightmare at all. Most of the traffic for the wrestling tournament will already be at the event.   The attendance at the football game will not be significant.  

Rosters:

VHSCA All-Star Rosters

The rosters for Saturday’s VHSCA All-Star football game at UVa-Wise’s Carl Smith Stadium:

BLUE

Josh Tinsley, Amherst County, DL

Devonte Smith, Amherst County, WR

Joshua Anthony King, Battlefield, LB

Gideon Driscoll, Blacksburg, DL

Tanner Bernard, Brookville, QB

Jonah Cornett, Castlewood, DE

Dalton Mullins, Wise County Central, DB

Thomas Patterson, E.C. Glass, LB

Cameron Spangler, Eastern View, DB

Kyle Smith, Eastern View, OL

Dago Hunter, Eastern View, WR

Malachi Smithen, Garfield, WR

Gavin Gray, George Wythe, OL

Deacon Beamer, George Wythe, QB/P

Josh Clifford, Glenvar, DB

Jack Leonard, Glenvar, RB

Ijaughn Gaskins, Hampton, WR

Stedman Clark, Harrisonburg, LB

Ja’Von Reed, Heritage-Lynchburg, OL

Elijah Davis, Heritage-Lynchburg, RB

Cary Young, James Monroe, OL

A.J. Johnson, James Monroe, RB

Bobby Teahan, John Handley, OL

Sam Pennington, Lee High, WR

Josh Davidson, Liberty Christian Academy, LB

Shawn Blount, Maury, DB

Kevin Mills Jr., Maury, QB/P

Brandon Shingleton, Millbrook, LB

Mikey McKinney, Narrows, LB

Jacob Martin, Narrows, OL

Anthony Brooks, Norview, LB

Zyquan Bessant, Norview, DL

Josh Cash, Parry McCluer, LB

Kellen Dalton, Pulaski County, WR

Andrew “Bull” Dye, Richlands, OL

Tavion Hall, R.E. Lee-Staunton, OL

Gabe Brinson, South County, OL

Devin Marcano, South County, OL

Seth Dunn, South County, WR

Drake Tomasi, Spotswood, DL

Dawson Garrett, Virginia High, OL

Malik Traynham, William Fleming, WR

RED

Chris Largen, Abingdon, OL

Travis Fudge, Abingdon, OL

Morgan Viar, Brookville, LB

Nick Weitzenfeld, Cave Spring, OL/DL

Ana’Jai Lewis, Colonial Beach, RB

Tayeon Coleman, Cosby, OL

Kaleb Smith, Franklin County, DB

Ryan Beidleman, Giles, DB

Dante Vineyard, Graham, LB

Taymon Cooke, Graham, WR/DB

Juanya Majette, Hampton, LB

Chameron Stevenson, Hampton, QB/DB

Jaquarious Bellamy, Hampton, WR

A.C. White, Harrisonburg, QB

Connor Thompson, Heritage-Leesburg, OL

Eric Wyatt, Heritage-Lynchburg, OL

Nigel Simmons, Heritage-Newport News, DL

Timothy Payne, Heritage-Newport News, WR

Jordan Jackson, Hermitage, DL

Justin Jackson, Hermitage, K

David Goodwyn, Highland Springs, DE/LB

Chris Barker, Highland Springs, OL

Andre Aiken, Highland Springs, WR

Matthew Griffin, JEB Stuart, DB

Corbin Donaldson, L.C. Bird, RB

Carter Bradley, Liberty Christian Academy, OL

Noah Overstreet, Lord Botetourt, DL

Carleton Emerson, Lord Botetourt, LB

DeVante Ellis-Rose, Nelson County, WR

Josh Fischer, Parry McCluer, OL/DL

Chandler Branch, Riverheads, OL

Joe Haner, Staunton River, DL

Drew Binion, Stonewall Jackson-Quicksburg, DL

Talvis Robinson, Thomas Dale, OL

Braxton Zirkle, Union, LB

James Mitchell, Union, WR/TE

Dashaun Jerkins, Woodbridge, DB

Sammy Obiang, Woodbridge, DL

Keith Thompson, Woodbridge, LB

JoeQuan Vinson, Woodrow Wilson, LB

Conrad Outlaw, Woodside, DL

1 hour ago, EH31 said:

Did anyone go watch the game?

I did. I would estimate a 1000 people there. It was a defensive struggle. Neither offense had any spectacular plays, but some great individual plays and performaces. The Red team's QB was very small, but absolutely tough as nails.

My first all star game, and I enjoyed it. Would definitely go again if it's  close by in the future. Lot of good athletes. Beidleman for Giles really stood out at DB. Heard his name a lot. Glad to see Dalton Mullins from Central get to play after his season ending injury. He snagged an INT for the Blue team.

Mitchell scored the only TD in the first half for Red. Made a couple of really good catches.

17 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

I did. I would estimate a 1000 people there. It was a defensive struggle. Neither offense had any spectacular plays, but some great individual plays and performaces. The Red team's QB was very small, but absolutely tough as nails.

My first all star game, and I enjoyed it. Would definitely go again if it's  close by in the future. Lot of good athletes. Beidleman for Giles really stood out at DB. Heard his name a lot. Glad to see Dalton Mullins from Central get to play after his season ending injury. He snagged an INT for the Blue team.

Mitchell scored the only TD in the first half for Red. Made a couple of really good catches.

How come Jeb Stidham of Union didn't get invited? He was 1st team All State.

45 minutes ago, WAVE 316 said:

How come Jeb Stidham of Union didn't get invited? He was 1st team All State.

That bothered me quite a bit as well. He's first team All-State (two years in a row IIRC) and doesn't get invited. Moronic. 

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

That bothered me quite a bit as well. He's first team All-State (two years in a row IIRC) and doesn't get invited. Moronic. 

We don’t know that he wasn’t invited. Perhaps he was and choose to turn it down for whatever reason? Not saying he did, but no one knows. 

19 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

We don’t know that he wasn’t invited. Perhaps he was and choose to turn it down for whatever reason? Not saying he did, but no one knows. 

You always seem to counter point my point....wouldn't expect anything different.   It doesn't seem reasonable that he would turn down the first all star game west of Roanoke in like fifty years (that is actually in his home county) but you are right..no one knows.

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

He went and played in the FCA East/West game, I can't fathom him being invited to play closer to home in a bigger game and saying no. I'll find out.

2 from Union was selected. James and Braxton Zirkle . Zirkle made 2nd team All State and Jeb Stidham made 1st team All State.  How does a guy make 1st team All State 2 years in a row and get passed by to play in the Vhsl game? Something is not right with this picture. What is the process that is used to pick who does and does not play in Vhsl games?

55 minutes ago, WAVE 316 said:

2 from Union was selected. James and Braxton Zirkle . Zirkle made 2nd team All State and Jeb Stidham made 1st team All State.  How does a guy make 1st team All State 2 years in a row and get passed by to play in the Vhsl game? Something is not right with this picture. What is the process that is used to pick who does and does not play in Vhsl games?

Fairly positive it is off coaches nomination. They roughly get the nomination paper around halfway through the season, fill the form out with selected all-star players and send it into the VHSL. From there, a committee (I assume) looks at the players, stats, etc., and makes their decision. I would assume Turner put several players on the nomination form he thought could make it.  I also think there is a limit of how many a team can nominate too. 

Union was well represented which is great! They got 2 players into an All Star game. Be grateful! A lot of teams went without representation. Sounds like the kid was worthy, however. 

Jeb Stidham has long told everyone that he was done with football as soon as the season was over, no college ,nothing. He has told others that he wants to be able to walk when he gets old.I think he would make a great player, but if his heart is not in it, he would just be wasting his time.I think thats why you didnt see him at Wise in the game.I really enjoyed watching the game,The kid from GILES looked really good, I wish we would have used him at running back some , he looked very smooth when he passed for the 2 point conversion, the NARROWS kids could also hit....dang they would fly to the ball. COOK should have recieved the ball more , he was open every play