Top 10 teams you saw in person this year, regardless....

JDHoss

....of location or classification. Let's hear it....

#1 Vero Beach (FL):  Finished the season 11-1. They were 10-0 when I saw them in the opening round of the FHSAA Class 8A playoffs. They had a 220 lb RB who has committed to Syracuse, a 335 lb tackle that is committed to Georgia St, and 3 other guys who have FBS offers. The night I saw them, they were mercy ruling Orlando Olympia when we left in the 3rd quarter. They beat Oscar Smith in Chesapeake in the season opener and lost to Sarasota Riverview in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

#2 Greeneville (TN):  Finished 14-0 and Class 4A champions. I saw them 4 times. Extremely impressive team all the way around. Beat 6A Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill, and their only real challenge came in the 2nd round against undefeated Anderson Co, who they outscored 35-10 after falling behind 21-0 early. QB Cade Ballard is just stupid good, accounting for 4000 yards of offense and 59 TD. Scary thing is that they return just about everyone next year.

#3 Orlando (FL) Olympia: Yeah, they were mercy ruled by Vero Beach, but their QB is headed to Michigan, a DE headed to Colorado St and a brute LB who is a junior with lots of FBS offers. Their biggest problem appeared to be coaching. In terms of pure physical talent, I'd put them ahead of Greeneville.

#4 Anderson Co (TN): Finished 11-1 and gave Greeneville a run for their money when they jumped out to a quick 21-0 lead before falling 35-31. They didn't have spectacular talent, but they were well coached and had a QB who was tough as nails and a good passer. In fact, if it weren't for a Greeneville CB who picked 2 passes in the end zone that were on the money and at the WR hands, and a 3rd that he took out of the WR hands as they were going to the ground, Anderson Co probably wins that game.

#5 Alcoa (TN): Class 3A champions. I saw them play at 6A Dobyns-Bennett, where they trailed by double digits for much of the game. Teams who are used to winning never give in though, and they just kept fighting and overtook DB in the last 2 minutes, and sealed the game with an interception. Head coach Gary Rankin has a bigger trophy case than God with 13 state titles and over 400 wins.

#5 Kingsport (TN) Dobyns-Bennett: Lost in the 2nd round of the Class 6A playoffs after having a sizable lead, which is a repeating theme with DB teams over the years. The Indians had a big OL and 3 big, hard running backs, but they seemed to get away from what they do best at times, and it costs them.

#6 Charlton Co (GA): Finished 9-3 and lost in the 3rd round of the Class A playoffs. They didn't have a whole lot of size up front, but probably had as much team speed as anyone I saw. They had a kid (Raykwon Anderson) who is a junior WR/DB who was committed to Florida until McElwain was fired. Their QB was a tall, skinny guy who had a decent arm and could fly. He looked like a spider when he was running with his arms and legs flailing around everywhere, and he wouldn't think of going down at the end of a run without going completely airborne at some point. Their offense pretty much consisted of him taking the snap and either handing it off to Anderson or this other kid on the jet sweep or scrambling around trying to find Anderson or one of 3 other guys who could really scoot, his big (6'5 240) TE or pulling it down and running. They were entertaining to watch and were mercy ruling Lanier Co in the 2nd quarter.

#7 Appomattox (VA): We all know about these guys. Three state titles in a row is a great accomplishment.

#8 Union (VA): We know all about these guys too. Might have been a shanked punt away from winning a state title....or maybe even a knee injury to their QB away.

#9 Graham (VA):  I was tempted to put Richlands here, but I truly believe Graham is much better than the team that got shut out by Union.

#10 Richlands (VA): Had a crazy tough schedule and wound up 4-7 and just about every one of those losses saw them in the game in the 4th quarter.

I don't know about top 10 but Tarboro, NC would be #1 with a bullet!  Went 15-0, won the AA state championship and gave up 66 points all season, and only 24 in 5 rounds of the playoffs. 

Just so it's clear, they allowed 4.4 points per game!  They beat a Mount Airy team in the state title game I had seen play a few times this season as well as last.  I didn't think anyone could or would beat Mount Airy.  Tarboro beat them 32-7!

18 hours ago, JDHoss said:

....of location or classification. Let's hear it....

#1 Vero Beach (FL):  Finished the season 11-1. They were 10-0 when I saw them in the opening round of the FHSAA Class 8A playoffs. They had a 220 lb RB who has committed to Syracuse, a 335 lb tackle that is committed to Georgia St, and 3 other guys who have FBS offers. The night I saw them, they were mercy ruling Orlando Olympia when we left in the 3rd quarter. They beat Oscar Smith in Chesapeake in the season opener and lost to Sarasota Riverview in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

#2 Greeneville (TN):  Finished 14-0 and Class 4A champions. I saw them 4 times. Extremely impressive team all the way around. Beat 6A Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill, and their only real challenge came in the 2nd round against undefeated Anderson Co, who they outscored 35-10 after falling behind 21-0 early. QB Cade Ballard is just stupid good, accounting for 4000 yards of offense and 59 TD. Scary thing is that they return just about everyone next year.

#3 Orlando (FL) Olympia: Yeah, they were mercy ruled by Vero Beach, but their QB is headed to Michigan, a DE headed to Colorado St and a brute LB who is a junior with lots of FBS offers. Their biggest problem appeared to be coaching. In terms of pure physical talent, I'd put them ahead of Greeneville.

#4 Anderson Co (TN): Finished 11-1 and gave Greeneville a run for their money when they jumped out to a quick 21-0 lead before falling 35-31. They didn't have spectacular talent, but they were well coached and had a QB who was tough as nails and a good passer. In fact, if it weren't for a Greeneville CB who picked 2 passes in the end zone that were on the money and at the WR hands, and a 3rd that he took out of the WR hands as they were going to the ground, Anderson Co probably wins that game.

#5 Alcoa (TN): Class 3A champions. I saw them play at 6A Dobyns-Bennett, where they trailed by double digits for much of the game. Teams who are used to winning never give in though, and they just kept fighting and overtook DB in the last 2 minutes, and sealed the game with an interception. Head coach Gary Rankin has a bigger trophy case than God with 13 state titles and over 400 wins.

#5 Kingsport (TN) Dobyns-Bennett: Lost in the 2nd round of the Class 6A playoffs after having a sizable lead, which is a repeating theme with DB teams over the years. The Indians had a big OL and 3 big, hard running backs, but they seemed to get away from what they do best at times, and it costs them.

#6 Charlton Co (GA): Finished 9-3 and lost in the 3rd round of the Class A playoffs. They didn't have a whole lot of size up front, but probably had as much team speed as anyone I saw. They had a kid (Raykwon Anderson) who is a junior WR/DB who was committed to Florida until McElwain was fired. Their QB was a tall, skinny guy who had a decent arm and could fly. He looked like a spider when he was running with his arms and legs flailing around everywhere, and he wouldn't think of going down at the end of a run without going completely airborne at some point. Their offense pretty much consisted of him taking the snap and either handing it off to Anderson or this other kid on the jet sweep or scrambling around trying to find Anderson or one of 3 other guys who could really scoot, his big (6'5 240) TE or pulling it down and running. They were entertaining to watch and were mercy ruling Lanier Co in the 2nd quarter.

#7 Appomattox (VA): We all know about these guys. Three state titles in a row is a great accomplishment.

#8 Union (VA): We know all about these guys too. Might have been a shanked punt away from winning a state title....or maybe even a knee injury to their QB away.

#9 Graham (VA):  I was tempted to put Richlands here, but I truly believe Graham is much better than the team that got shut out by Union.

#10 Richlands (VA): Had a crazy tough schedule and wound up 4-7 and just about every one of those losses saw them in the game in the 4th quarter.

DANG BRO! You was all over!!!!! great commentary. Now that Appo is going to have a down year. YES, IM SAYING IT!!! many in Appo get PO'd when i say this...So what, I ate humble pie on this team. I said we would be contenders with a chance of winning states. I had no idea we was going to be that good. I know for a fact...next year is a rebuilding year for Raiders. Who knows....SWVA might win one and quit hating on Appo as "arrogant" pricks. 

49 minutes ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

DANG BRO! You was all over!!!!! great commentary. Now that Appo is going to have a down year. YES, IM SAYING IT!!! many in Appo get PO'd when i say this...So what, I ate humble pie on this team. I said we would be contenders with a chance of winning states. I had no idea we was going to be that good. I know for a fact...next year is a rebuilding year for Raiders. Who knows....SWVA might win one and quit hating on Appo as "arrogant" pricks. 

Comments like this create that perception. It would have been better to say nothing.

1 hour ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

You are a different guy on the preps site. Expectedly so, you have back up there while here you are coming into the lion's den. 

With that said, I have read your stuff here and thought highly of you as a poster. I then read your stuff on VApreps and concluded you are also an arrogant prick with an identity complex. There really is no need for you to be a dick on preps and come here to try and make mends. Your statements about SWVA concludes my opinion of you. 

Edited by Dick_Vitale

My days are limited here....I will tell ya that...this is the lions den...I understand that and expected it. Im Central VA all day. I was disappointed in Heritage losing this weekend....

Unlike YALL...I have great respect of how yall back ya teams and the fan base yall bring to your games for not only your team but for SWVA teams. I moved to Hampton, VA last year and if a team from CVA comes this way to play for states, you dang right im rooting for em. 

Funny you say that though @Dick_Vitale....Many on here have identity crisis as well..giving mad props to us on preps and then refraining on game predictions. On here saying Union had the recipe to beat Appo. dadadadada, NOT ONE TIME did i read someone say that on preps that yall had this master key to unlock what could beat Appo. SO you are coffee calling the kettle black....

1 hour ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

My days are limited here....I will tell ya that...this is the lions den...I understand that and expected it. Im Central VA all day. I was disappointed in Heritage losing this weekend....

Unlike YALL...I have great respect of how yall back ya teams and the fan base yall bring to your games for not only your team but for SWVA teams. I moved to Hampton, VA last year and if a team from CVA comes this way to play for states, you dang right im rooting for em. 

Funny you say that though @Dick_Vitale....Many on here have identity crisis as well..giving mad props to us on preps and then refraining on game predictions. On here saying Union had the recipe to beat Appo. dadadadada, NOT ONE TIME did i read someone say that on preps that yall had this master key to unlock what could beat Appo. SO you are coffee calling the kettle black....

Not really sure why you feel the needs to try and use "y'all" in your second paragraph. Literally goes back to the whole offensive statement I made. 

TBH, I cannot follow your third paragraph at all. I have re read it 3 times... still clueless. 

It is one thing to argue and disagree on preps... it encompasses the whole state. But why come on this forum, talk up SWVA and the teams, and then run to preps and be a prick? Two-faced. 

If your days are numbered why not just go ahead and allow me to show you the door out of here. 

3 hours ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

We get around. My wife and I are both retired. We usually pick a game from Knoxville to Roanoke to go to on a Friday. Sometimes we'll venture over to the Asheville NC area or the South Carolina Upstate. Been to some games in Eastern KY, and we usually go to Florida in the fall. We'll catch a game or two there and will sometimes stop overnight in Georgia and catch a game. Been to games in Mississippi and Alabama as well. Love going to high school games, especially in places where the town pretty much shuts down and everybody comes out to support the teams like they do in SWVA. We're probably going to be moving to Florida next year, but I definitely want to come back for a couple or three weeks during football season. 

11 hours ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

That would be because we knew any support of our teams would be taken as an insult by posters on preps. In 2015, fans from SWVA, not just Union, said that Union would beat Glenvar because of the Bears' passing attack. We were immediately attacked and ridiculed because, and I quote, "I'm not saying I think Glenvar will win this, but if they lose, I don't think it will be because of their pass defense." And, of course, that's exactly how Union won. In 2016, just the mere utterance of "I think Union can beat Appo IF we do this, this and this" was perceived as "Appo is not good and can't beat Union." The same thing was said when Richlands expressed ANY hope they could beat Appo in the championship game.

And this year, R.E. Lee and Union both had more total yards and first downs than Appo. Union's game was 1 pt closer, but look at all the congratulations on preps for Lee. None for Union. Had you looked at the majority of the posts on preps you would have thought Appo beat Union 40-0. There is a very real bias on preps against teams from SWVA. It's not in our heads. It's real. I've never understood how supporting your own team can be an insult to another. We should always support our team and think they can win. Why even play if you don't think you can win.

Those of us that are on here and preps both have learned that, and keep our comments limited.

I have spent time in virtually every corner of Virginia, both professionally and socially.  The lack of awareness by many outside SWVA concerning anything involving SWVA is astounding.  I've said it before, folks in other parts of the state will send their kids to Virginia Tech but never bother to explore the communities southwest of Blacksburg.  Hence, the feeling in SWVA that most Virginians not from SWVA believe the state stops at Exit 118 along I-77.  I once had a coworker argue and ultimately lose a bet to me that Oak Hill Academy was located in Tennessee.  He couldn't fathom anything in Virginia being south or west of Blacksburg. 

Just this Monday, a "headhunter" contacted me on Linkedin, gauging my interest in a career move to the Norfolk area.  I politely told her I live well over 300 miles from Norfolk and that's as close as I will ever live to Norfolk!  She couldn't understand why "anyone would chose to live in that part of Virginia who had options".  The quoted text is taken directly from her email to me.  She was dumbfounded that I would chose to stay in "that part of Virginia", meaning SWVA, when I had opportunities in Norfolk.  In my mind, this clearly shows a bias the rest of the state harbors toward SWVA.  And many have never even been to SWVA!

So, it should be no surprise that anyone from "Central VA all day" can't have an objective and unbiased opinion of our little slice of heaven!  SWVA respects one another in a way other parts of Virginia cannot understand.  When our school is knocked out of the playoffs, we show up in droves to support our neighbors in their quest to reach "states".  What a bunch of hillbilly rednecks we must be to support our neighbors!  But it's this mindset that makes living and raising children in SWVA so rewarding.  We can have pride in our community and show similar pride and support for a neighboring community without our community believing us to be disloyal.  We may fuss among ourselves from time to time but when push comes to shove, we have each others backs.  

I'll step down from my soapbox now!

35 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I have spent time in virtually every corner of Virginia, both professionally and socially.  The lack of awareness by many outside SWVA concerning anything involving SWVA is astounding.  I've said it before, folks in other parts of the state will send their kids to Virginia Tech but never bother to explore the communities southwest of Blacksburg.  Hence, the feeling in SWVA that most Virginians not from SWVA believe the state stops at Exit 118 along I-77.  I once had a coworker argue and ultimately lose a bet to me that Oak Hill Academy was located in Tennessee.  He couldn't fathom anything in Virginia being south or west of Blacksburg. 

Just this Monday, a "headhunter" contacted me on Linkedin, gauging my interest in a career move to the Norfolk area.  I politely told her I live well over 300 miles from Norfolk and that's as close as I will ever live to Norfolk!  She couldn't understand why "anyone would chose to live in that part of Virginia who had options".  The quoted text is taken directly from her email to me.  She was dumbfounded that I would chose to stay in "that part of Virginia", meaning SWVA, when I had opportunities in Norfolk.  In my mind, this clearly shows a bias the rest of the state harbors toward SWVA.  And many have never even been to SWVA!

So, it should be no surprise that anyone from "Central VA all day" can't have an objective and unbiased opinion of our little slice of heaven!  SWVA respects one another in a way other parts of Virginia cannot understand.  When our school is knocked out of the playoffs, we show up in droves to support our neighbors in their quest to reach "states".  What a bunch of hillbilly rednecks we must be to support our neighbors!  But it's this mindset that makes living and raising children in SWVA so rewarding.  We can have pride in our community and show similar pride and support for a neighboring community without our community believing us to be disloyal.  We may fuss among ourselves from time to time but when push comes to shove, we have each others backs.  

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Southern West Virginia gets treated the same way. 

I have seen a lot of posts on preps that show no respect toward SWVA. 

My junior year of high school at PV in 04, we played Manassas Park in the championship and lost to an amazing team by a TD. A lot of the Manassas Park fans thought we, the band, would be playing banjos, skillets, and fiddles. And that our uniforms were bibbed overalls and straw hats. They were shocked to see 85 members in uniform compared to 25. And they thought the fan base would be over there in rusted up 1970 Chevy pick ups where the engine is fixing to fall out.

And when I see guys like Gator Bait, AdvocateOfMany434, and perhaps Stabler, I am glad I do not post on preps. And you had people in Appomattox on Facebook who think we are a bunch of hicks. I am pretty sure Appomattox is no less “hick” than SWVA.

9 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

That would be because we knew any support of our teams would be taken as an insult by posters on preps. In 2015, fans from SWVA, not just Union, said that Union would beat Glenvar because of the Bears' passing attack. We were immediately attacked and ridiculed because, and I quote, "I'm not saying I think Glenvar will win this, but if they lose, I don't think it will be because of their pass defense." And, of course, that's exactly how Union won. In 2016, just the mere utterance of "I think Union can beat Appo IF we do this, this and this" was perceived as "Appo is not good and can't beat Union." The same thing was said when Richlands expressed ANY hope they could beat Appo in the championship game.

And this year, R.E. Lee and Union both had more total yards and first downs than Appo. Union's game was 1 pt closer, but look at all the congratulations on preps for Lee. None for Union. Had you looked at the majority of the posts on preps you would have thought Appo beat Union 40-0. There is a very real bias on preps against teams from SWVA. It's not in our heads. It's real. I've never understood how supporting your own team can be an insult to another. We should always support our team and think they can win. Why even play if you don't think you can win.

Those of us that are on here and preps both have learned that, and keep our comments limited.

I think the whole "Refs cheated us" and "Appo paid refs to hit the road with them" superseded the congratulations that may have been posted. I think all we read was how bad yall was cheated...so it was hard for anyone to give yall props on there.

10 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

It's pretty bad when Appomattox fans even told me at the Union game that Advocate just needs to shut the hell up and that he gives the community a bad rep...

Its all good....The probably the same ones that shake my hand at the games saying..."I LOVE YOUR POST." I had numerous people inbox me and find me at the games to ask me to get back on Preps when I left the first time. There are many posters from Appo that want to be passive and agree to everything yall say. I am not going to be confrontational on here,  but if I dont agree. Im going to question what was posted. This is viewed as "ROCKING THE BOAT and being COCKY" I guess. Most these guys will be leaving soon as their kids graduate. I love HS football and im not on here just because my kid played HS for Appomattox. I stand by everything I say and if I feel I might have said something that cast a shadow on Appo. I own it and I apologize (Example: Mitchell not having heart statement). Furthermore, I dont hide behind a screen name. People know who I am on herel.  If they had guts, let them find me and tell me to face instead of being fake and smiling in my face when they see me. 

10 minutes ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

I think the whole "Refs cheated us" and "Appo paid refs to hit the road with them" superseded the congratulations that may have been posted. I think all we read was how bad yall was cheated...so it was hard for anyone to give yall props on there.

Judging a group using the perspective of a few (or one). Classic move! 

Just now, Dick_Vitale said:

Judging a group using the perspective of a few (or one). Classic move! 

That sounds right. This whole area is judged by pictures of "hillbillies" when 95% of those living in the area don't look like those pictures.

17 minutes ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

I just searched the Appo/Union post on preps and couldn't find where anyone said that Appo paid the refs. 

I did find people complaining about 2 calls specifically. I think those complaints were very legit. Personally, I believe there were no congrats to Union because most Appo people were 100% certain that game wasn't going to be close and when Union came a hair from winning they couldn't admit that Union had a good enough team to beat Appo.

I will give you props for rectifying the Mitchell comments. I do sincerely appreciate that.

As far as us winning. I give Union a big SALUTE for exceeding what I thought was going to happen. I inboxed Oldfool and BCknights saying we was going to win by 3 TDs. GREAT JOB!! I am blessed yall made us EARN it! 

No, that happened on the twitter account. 

https://twitter.com/bryleesdad/status/937063406485504000

and there was another as well..she must have deleted it. 

24 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I just searched the Appo/Union post on preps and couldn't find where anyone said that Appo paid the refs. 

I did find people complaining about 2 calls specifically. I think those complaints were very legit. Personally, I believe there were no congrats to Union because most Appo people were 100% certain that game wasn't going to be close and when Union came a hair from winning they couldn't admit that Union had a good enough team to beat Appo.

I will give you props for rectifying the Mitchell comments. I do sincerely appreciate that.

2 minutes ago, AdvocateOfMany434 said:

As far as us winning. I give Union a big SALUTE for exceeding what I thought was going to happen. I inboxed Oldfool and BCknights saying we was going to win by 3 TDs. GREAT JOB!! I am blessed yall made us EARN it! 

No, that happened on the twitter account. 

https://twitter.com/bryleesdad/status/937063406485504000

and there was another as well..she must have deleted it. 

What that guy says don't count. He says a lot of things. Lol

People get caught up in stuff on social media. That's why I stay off of it.

1 hour ago, TwhscoachT said:

I will add this, you are basing your perception off one radical, while we based our perception off the majority.

I said someone  deleted one tweet about Appo having a crew of refs paid for and how union cant play us and play refs. Its not there no more.

I dont cuss, even if u meet me personally, profanity is not in my vocab.  yall had swva fans calling appo fans on preps “b!$ches” and to “eat a d!@k” after disagreeing. The same appo fans that say i need to shut my mouth and be quiet are same ones probably giving likes to them post cause they wanna paint face.....lol...they fake and if they were grown men they would approach me as such and talk to me about their disagreements with me.