2018 Midterm Elections

cavalieratmosphere

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

The Meals Tax would be used for (1) school security officers and (2) fire and rescue personnel.  The tax would be capped at 4% of prepared meals within Tazewell County (excluding towns).  The Board of Supervisors would need to allocate how much goes where, as the referendum doesn’t do that.

Will this provide a school resource officer for each school? I may be wrong about this, if so correct me. Doesn't the officer(s) now just rotate between schools? Therefore they are only at each school for a short amount of time. Would this 4% generate that much help since it's excluding towns? Just thinking off the top of my head this would basically be the restaurants in Claypool Hill right? 

What do you mean by fire and rescue personnel? Is this meant as a pay increase for them?

2 hours ago, 99Bama said:

Will this provide a school resource officer for each school? I may be wrong about this, if so correct me. Doesn't the officer(s) now just rotate between schools? Therefore they are only at each school for a short amount of time. Would this 4% generate that much help since it's excluding towns? Just thinking off the top of my head this would basically be the restaurants in Claypool Hill right? 

What do you mean by fire and rescue personnel? Is this meant as a pay increase for them?

Until the Board of Supervisors allocates the funding, it won’t be possible to say exactly what will happen or what percentage will go to which group.

The current school resource officers are paid for by a grant through the Sheriff’s Office and the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office.  The ultimate goal is to have at least one in each school, and the Meals Tax would help significantly to get the County and the School Board to that point.  I can’t say for certainty that it alone will get the County and School Board to that point, but it’s a healthy start.

As for fire/emergency personnel, it may not be so much for pay increases as it would be to adequately support the personnel.  The equipment in place for fire/emergency personnel is not acceptable compared to what it should be to protect the County’s residents to the level they deserve.  The one that comes to my mind immediately is SCBA, or breathing apparati for firefighters.  Also, such funding would allow for greater training for the County’s personnel in terms of certifications, etc.  The Meals Tax would help provide that sort of support for those great folks.  

The Meals Tax is projected to bring in approximately $1M-$1.2M per year in revenue, the vast majority of which is from the Pounding Mill area.  Though this money would be earmarked, it would allow the County some flexibility in its budget to focus on other critical areas of need.

23 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Until the Board of Supervisors allocates the funding, it won’t be possible to say exactly what will happen or what percentage will go to which group.

The current school resource officers are paid for by a grant through the Sheriff’s Office and the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office.  The ultimate goal is to have at least one in each school, and the Meals Tax would help significantly to get the County and the School Board to that point.  I can’t say for certainty that it alone will get the County and School Board to that point, but it’s a healthy start.

As for fire/emergency personnel, it may not be so much for pay increases as it would be to adequately support the personnel.  The equipment in place for fire/emergency personnel is not acceptable compared to what it should be to protect the County’s residents to the level they deserve.  The one that comes to my mind immediately is SCBA, or breathing apparati for firefighters.  Also, such funding would allow for greater training for the County’s personnel in terms of certifications, etc.  The Meals Tax would help provide that sort of support for those great folks.  

The Meals Tax is projected to bring in approximately $1M-$1.2M per year in revenue, the vast majority of which is from the Pounding Mill area.  Though this money would be earmarked, it would allow the County some flexibility in its budget to focus on other critical areas of need.

Thanks for the info.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:31 PM, UVAObserver said:

I was surprised this didn't pass. Had to be lack of education of what the proposal was for. The county was fine with a property tax increase for coaches and MS sports but not for school safety.