Floyd vs PM girls

champ

Heading up that way in just a bit. Anyone have a suggestion of a good Dinner Place ? Have any of you traveled that way lately? 

I see nothing in BV on google that I recognize other than some fast food.  

Im looking forward to this one. I've told some of my basketball friends how good the Galax girls are and I thought they were the best small school I've seen in many years.  I'm still being told that I should check out PM before giving the title to Galax.   

I'm thinking I should have an early dinner in Roanoke at this point all I see is Hardee's and I think a McDonald's in BV. 

31 minutes ago, champ said:

Heading up that way in just a bit. Anyone have a suggestion of a good Dinner Place ? Have any of you traveled that way lately? 

I see nothing in BV on google that I recognize other than some fast food.  

Im looking forward to this one. I've told some of my basketball friends how good the Galax girls are and I thought they were the best small school I've seen in many years.  I'm still being told that I should check out PM before giving the title to Galax.   

I'm thinking I should have an early dinner in Roanoke at this point all I see is Hardee's and I think a McDonald's in BV. 

I’m interested in hearing your comparison of PM and Galax!!

1 hour ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I’m interested in hearing your comparison of PM and Galax!!

So I'm gaining a follower ? 

I might have bad news currently I'm held up a bit with unexpected work.  I may have to be in Richmond this evening.  At this point I'm 50-50 on stopping for the game. Hopefully I can give you my comparison. 

i hear this should be a solid game to watch. Last meeting went to double OT ? Sounded really good. 

3 hours ago, champ said:

So I'm gaining a follower ? 

I might have bad news currently I'm held up a bit with unexpected work.  I may have to be in Richmond this evening.  At this point I'm 50-50 on stopping for the game. Hopefully I can give you my comparison. 

i hear this should be a solid game to watch. Last meeting went to double OT ? Sounded really good. 

I might have to start doubting you. I’ve seen two tweets that say GW 54 Galax 32????

3 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I might have to start doubting you. I’ve seen two tweets that say GW 54 Galax 32????

Please doubt me. After being away from basketball around here for many years and after now watching this game tonight ( PM VS FLOYD )

im at a loss for words.  Please let me start with this. I'm not sure about my original Galax Assessment all I know is I thought for a small school that they were as good as I ever remember seeing a small school be. 

UNTIL tonight.

I'm literally sitting in Richmond now after watching a  PM single A school play basketball. You can doubt me call me crazy call me ignorant all of that is fine. But what I'm about to say has to be said. 

The PM GIRLS basketball team is the best program I've ever seen at a single A level . 

For anyone that hasn't watched them please listen to this.  I personally think they could beat or play with any highschool team in the state of Virginia.  There are small college teams I can see them beating. Yes go ahead and call me ignorant but there are college teams I've watched in the past 10 years that this small A school could beat. 

Whats going on? When did teams at small schools develope talent like this. I waited on their coach for a while to tell him how impressed I was but never saw him. Coach if you read these boards please know that I've never seen anything like what I saw tonight. Well done on building your program. 

Someone told me to save my time running around SWVA and just go watch PM.  Well you were so right .  

Look I have two daughters that played small college ball. One was a point guard and the other was a 3-4 position.  Neither of them would even start for this team and I'm not even sure they would come off the bench first.  

I know things have chanced in the past 15 years since my daughters played high school basketball but what I saw tonight was amazing. 

Well done Blues coaches, players , fans , community. You should all be proud of those ladies. 

My tigers will have to wait a couple years because there's no way possible the PM team I watched tonight loses to honaker Galax or anyone else for that matter. 

What a joy to watch. 

The atmosphere was amazing as well.  I sit beside a very nice older couple who informed me they knew I wasn't from around there. Of course I said why would you say that and they told me I didn't say GO BLUE at the conclusion of the national anthem. 

Well you busted me from the start.  I indeed was an outsider. 

I will be checking the schedule and I will be watching these girls again.  ( next time I may just say go Blue ) 

11 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

The Galax girls basketball team has 7 total players on the roster.  That lack of depth has to be a handicap regardless of how well those 7 girls play together.  George Wythe exposed that lack of depth last night.  It's my understanding, Galax has moved two girls up from JV to fill the void but there is a reason they both began the season on JV.  

Galax has an impressive win over 4A Carroll but I'm not certain Carroll is nearly as talented as they have been in years past.  George Wythe has some pretty lackluster performances on their resume also.  The truth is, neither of these teams is likely to scare anyone with aspirations of making a deep playoff run!

7 hours ago, champ said:

For anyone that hasn't watched them please listen to this.  I personally think they could beat or play with any highschool team in the state of Virginia.  There are small college teams I can see them beating. Yes go ahead and call me ignorant but there are college teams I've watched in the past 10 years that this small A school could beat. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5492319

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

The Galax girls basketball team has 7 total players on the roster.  That lack of depth has to be a handicap regardless of how well those 7 girls play together.  George Wythe exposed that lack of depth last night.  It's my understanding, Galax has moved two girls up from JV to fill the void but there is a reason they both began the season on JV.  

Galax has an impressive win over 4A Carroll but I'm not certain Carroll is nearly as talented as they have been in years past.  George Wythe has some pretty lackluster performances on their resume also.  The truth is, neither of these teams is likely to scare anyone with aspirations of making a deep playoff run!

Yeah, that score shocked me... GW lost all 3 games at Virginia High I believe, including to Holston of all teams...

9 hours ago, champ said:

Wrong. Wise Central would beat them by double digits.  Abingdon and most likely Ridgeview and Union also.  Plus I would venture to guess most 5 and 6A teams could as well.

EDIT:  Ok, I might ought to rethink that.  Seen PM beat Mavahi by 18.  That's pretty dang impressive if Mavahi has even remotely the same from last year's team.

31 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Yeah, that score shocked me... GW lost all 3 games at Virginia High I believe, including to Holston of all teams...

Wrong. Wise Central would beat them by double digits.  Abingdon and most likely Ridgeview and Union also.  Plus I would venture to guess most 5 and 6A teams could as well.

EDIT:  Ok, I might ought to rethink that.  Seen PM beat Mavahi by 18.  That's pretty dang impressive if Mavahi has even remotely the same from last year's team.

Paul VI would slaughter them, but then again, that school has four high-major D1 recruits, including the #1 forward in the country in the Class of 2019.  Then again, he did say *ANY* high school team.

As for colleges, just like with Gate City, it’s an absurd proposition.  Too much talent and depth.

9 hours ago, champ said:

Please doubt me. After being away from basketball around here for many years and after now watching this game tonight ( PM VS FLOYD )

im at a loss for words.  Please let me start with this. I'm not sure about my original Galax Assessment all I know is I thought for a small school that they were as good as I ever remember seeing a small school be. 

UNTIL tonight.

I'm literally sitting in Richmond now after watching a  PM single A school play basketball. You can doubt me call me crazy call me ignorant all of that is fine. But what I'm about to say has to be said. 

The PM GIRLS basketball team is the best program I've ever seen at a single A level . 

Whats going on? When did teams at small schools develope talent like this. I waited on their coach for a while to tell him how impressed I was but never saw him. Coach if you read these boards please know that I've never seen anything like what I saw tonight. Well done on building your program. 

Someone told me to save my time running around SWVA and just go watch PM.  Well you were so right .  

Look I have two daughters that played small college ball. One was a point guard and the other was a 3-4 position.  Neither of them would even start for this team and I'm not even sure they would come off the bench first.  

I know things have chanced in the past 15 years since my daughters played high school basketball but what I saw tonight was amazing. 

Well done Blues coaches, players , fans , community. You should all be proud of those ladies. 

My tigers will have to wait a couple years because there's no way possible the PM team I watched tonight loses to honaker Galax or anyone else for that matter. 

What a joy to watch. 

The atmosphere was amazing as well.  I sit beside a very nice older couple who informed me they knew I wasn't from around there. Of course I said why would you say that and they told me I didn't say GO BLUE at the conclusion of the national anthem. 

Well you busted me from the start.  I indeed was an outsider. 

I will be checking the schedule and I will be watching these girls again.  ( next time I may just say go Blue ) 

To start with I will say, yes girls basketball has changed a lot in the last 15-20 years. 

I know PM is pretty good but I would have to think they would have a hard time beating any of the top 4 Mt. 7 teams. 

I would feel really confident in saying any of the local small colleges would completely demolish them in a game. 

Im curious: what was your daughters name that played for Honaker? 

50 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Galax is considerably better then they have been in years past but that's not saying much.  The only place the program had to go was up because it couldn't get much worse.  These girls have worked as hard as any group I've seen beginning late last season and continuing through summer and into this season.  But they still have a ways to go before they can compete on a state level.

12 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

To start with I will say, yes girls basketball has changed a lot in the last 15-20 years. 

I know PM is pretty good but I would have to think they would have a hard time beating any of the top 4 Mt. 7 teams. 

I would feel really confident in saying any of the local small colleges would completely demolish them in a game. 

Im curious: what was your daughters name that played for Honaker? 

I had two daughters play for honaker 

your kidding about names ? 

Look in not saying they could beat 6A teams of teams with D1 recruits. Back when my daughters played I was under the understanding that it was 3 divisions around here. 

Things have changed so much. My daughters played for 2 different small colleges in PA. This PM team would beat both.  

Please let me clear up.  Many really strong bigger highschool teams could beat some of these super small college teams.  I'm not referring to a team like UVA-wise who I've seen already this year as well.  I watched ridge view last year and they could have beaten the local college team that I recently lived around. 

just to clear the air I guess I will make my point this. 

I was completely and totally shocked when I watched this single A team play. IMO they can compete and beat most any team I remember from the older days.  Furthermore based off what I've saw so far this year they would demolish most of those teams.  

I haven't watched many big schools play so maybe I should just shut up until I see more. 

Im sure 6A schools would kill many programs and beat many tiny college teams so I will retract my statement that PM could play with anyone in the State.  I guess my main point is that it was shocking seeing this small school play the way they did.  

The Floyd County team looked like a JV Team compared to PM. Truly they did . That was how much difference it was.  I was told by many people that FLOYD was a very solid 2A team.  

I guess for comparison of teams closer to us 

I saw ridgeview last year while visiting over Christmas break.  I would take this PM team over that team. 

I will try to keep things in perspective and be more clear on absurd statements. I will also continue to watch ball and become more informed

i didn't mean to sound so over the top. I just never seen anything like whet I saw from a school that size.  

I will leave it at this. Last night the Floyd county team looked like a JV Program compared to the PM team.  I was told Floyd was top notch 2A.  Is this wrong ?  You guys tell me who to circle on my calendar and I will go see them. I'd rather stay local.  I had a meeting in Richmond VA this morning is the only reason I stopped to watch the game in Buena Vista.  ( which absolutely has no where to eat after a ball game ) 

give me a sure thing game of the best 2A or 3A or whatever big A team to go see.  Maybe after watching that I will feel like a complete fool for suggesting the PM team is that good. 

18 minutes ago, champ said:

I had two daughters play for honaker 

your kidding about names ? 

Look in not saying they could beat 6A teams of teams with D1 recruits. Back when my daughters played I was under the understanding that it was 3 divisions around here. 

Things have changed so much. My daughters played for 2 different small colleges in PA. This PM team would beat both.  

Please let me clear up.  Many really strong bigger highschool teams could beat some of these super small college teams.  I'm not referring to a team like UVA-wise who I've seen already this year as well.  I watched ridge view last year and they could have beaten the local college team that I recently lived around. 

just to clear the air I guess I will make my point this. 

I was completely and totally shocked when I watched this single A team play. IMO they can compete and beat most any team I remember from the older days.  Furthermore based off what I've saw so far this year they would demolish most of those teams.  

I haven't watched many big schools play so maybe I should just shut up until I see more. 

Im sure 6A schools would kill many programs and beat many tiny college teams so I will retract my statement that PM could play with anyone in the State.  I guess my main point is that it was shocking seeing this small school play the way they did.  

The Floyd County team looked like a JV Team compared to PM. Truly they did . That was how much difference it was.  I was told by many people that FLOYD was a very solid 2A team.  

I guess for comparison of teams closer to us 

I saw ridgeview last year while visiting over Christmas break.  I would take this PM team over that team. 

I will try to keep things in perspective and be more clear on absurd statements. I will also continue to watch ball and become more informed

i didn't mean to sound so over the top. I just never seen anything like whet I saw from a school that size.  

I will leave it at this. Last night the Floyd county team looked like a JV Program compared to the PM team.  I was told Floyd was top notch 2A.  Is this wrong ?  You guys tell me who to circle on my calendar and I will go see them. I'd rather stay local.  I had a meeting in Richmond VA this morning is the only reason I stopped to watch the game in Buena Vista.  ( which absolutely has no where to eat after a ball game ) 

give me a sure thing game of the best 2A or 3A or whatever big A team to go see.  Maybe after watching that I will feel like a complete fool for suggesting the PM team is that good. 

I remember the good Honaker girl that played around 2000ish.  In my opinion she was a better ball player than what I saw on PM ‘s team last year. But that is a hard comparison to make. 

I don’t think Floyd  is even close to Central, Ridgeview, Abingdon or Union. But I could be wrong. I’ve not seen Floyd play, I’m just going off of what I’ve heard. 

Floyd is traditionally a very good 2A program, I think they do have a new coach this year if I remember reading that right, so that could be making a difference in performance this year.

Some upcoming games on the radar @champ you might want to check out are:

12/30 Emory & Henry showcase:  Wise Central vs. Martinsville (rematch of last year's 2A state championship game), Parry McCluer vs. Gate City

1/3 Ridgeview at Abingdon

1/5  Union at Abingdon

1/9 Ridgeview at Wise Central

4 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Floyd is traditionally a very good 2A program, I think they do have a new coach this year if I remember reading that right, so that could be making a difference in performance this year.

12/30 Emory & Henry showcase:  Wise Central vs. Martinsville (rematch of last year's 2A state championship game), Parry McCluer vs. Gate City

1/5  Union at Abingdon

I will be at the showcase for sure. The schedule says that PM beat Martinsville by 18 this past weekend ?  This is all really hard to gauge from one year to the next.  I guess the more action that's watched the more information and assessments that can be made.  

Sounds like Ridgeview at Abington is a place I need to be.  

1 hour ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I remember the good Honaker girl that played around 2000ish.  In my opinion she was a better ball player than what I saw on PM ‘s team last year. But that is a hard comparison to make. 

I don’t think Floyd  is even close to Central, Ridgeview, Abingdon or Union. But I could be wrong. I’ve not seen Floyd play, I’m just going off of what I’ve heard. 

Things change so much and athletes seem to be stronger and more physical these days but of my 5 daughters I had a couple that could play with anyone.  It just looks to me like the game is much better now days 

in their time my daughters were very strong 

I look forward to seeing more games as I've said before I just have a passion for girls basketball. I lived it for so long. 

I will try to ease up on the over the top assessments.  I just couldn't believe how good a little school looked and it flat out shocked me.  The coach there must have worked on the group or program for many years to have them that poised. My understanding is he won with mostly sophomores last year ( the state ) that's ridiculous.  The guy has built something there to be proud of 

21 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

1/5  Union at Abingdon

Not sure that CG will be a good gauge for PM GC has lost 3 games by double digits capped off by a 74-16 whipping last night vs Daniel Boon

30 minutes ago, Counts said:

Not sure that CG will be a good gauge for PM GC has lost 3 games by double digits capped off by a 74-16 whipping last night vs Daniel Boon

I'm still planning he check the tourney out. Hopefully the Martinsville rematch will be good with wise 

Finding the best match ups year in and out seems to be the problem because you don't know who returns each year.  

After watching last night I'd like to catch PM a couple times . It looks like they play the defending 3A state champion Broadway. I've never heard of Broadway but you would think they have to be really good.   There's a couple other teams on the schedule against big schools RCHS 3A  Lord botetourt 3A ? For a smaller school they certainly don't mind playing up. 

Im gonna watch central wise , ridgeview, etc and see what I think about this whole crazy thing now days. 

Unfortually I will say this honaker will need some time to play with these kind of teams. 

11 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Mahavi graduated their bigs. Like WC they are in rebuilding mode

49 minutes ago, Unchained said:

So here's a question 

how would you currently rank the top 4 in each 1A 2A 3A  based on info out there now. 

Mavahi has all their bigs back from last year, but lost the 2 guards who did 75% of the scoring.

1 hour ago, Unchained said:

14 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Hello SWVA havok fan 

did central wise recently play gate city ?  I ask because PM plays the gate city girls soon. You have mentioned that central wise would best PM by double digits.  So maybe after seeing the PM - Gate City game it can show if there's a huge difference in the best of 2A and the best in 1A