A sure way a Mountain 7 program can get a win against Gate City

E.Z.DOES.IT

Here it is.  Move the Game to a larger site.  Publicizes the heck out of the game, maybe sell raffle tickets to win a car or something crazy at halftime. Have a ton of promotions.   Take that money and spend it on your teams.  Buy a piece of equipment for your team; go to a camp that you normally cannot afford, purchase a strength program or coach, shooting coach or do something that will help your team for the years to come.  That way you get a sure “win” for your program that night. (Ok loose definition of the word win.) These crowds are ridiculous, the media and social media are unbelievable.  Used it for your team!    Last night 2165 people according to the news packed in a gym and McClung and Ervin where game time decisions, a lot of people were turned away at the door. smh

Of Course Gate City can be beat. They are high school kids.  But, to get home court advantage you will likely have to beat them twice.  Take the money and make something positive for your program.  Heck you might beat them at the larger site and get a double win.   

Didn't several Roanoke area schools get into some hot water with VHSL over something similar when JJ Redick was at Cave Spring?

Quite possible I'm confusing it with something else but I seem to recall some reprimands handed down to school board members, administrators and coaches by the Roanoke County Board of Supervisors in an effort to appease VHSL.  I just don't remember the exact issue(s).

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Didn't several Roanoke area schools get into some hot water with VHSL over something similar when JJ Redick was at Cave Spring?

Quite possible I'm confusing it with something else but I seem to recall some reprimands handed down to school board members, administrators and coaches by the Roanoke County Board of Supervisors in an effort to appease VHSL.  I just don't remember the exact issue(s).

No, you’re correct.

As of right now, the game is still in BSG. Discussions are going on about whether to move it, but from what I gather, only the administration wants the move. I'm against it, it's a HOME game for a reason. The only reason to move to UVAW is money, and that shouldn't be the reason the seniors lose a home game. But the current administration seems to be more concerned with revenue over winning.

Back in the early 80's, this happened often in Henry County.  Drewry Mason H.S. and G.W. Carver played most of their games (against each other) at Bassett High School.  It made perfect sense...both schools had small gyms and very, very good teams.  The move allowed almost everyone who wanted to attend to actually get a seat.  I do remember one of the early games being played at Drewry Mason and folks getting turned away.  I'm planning on getting to Abingdon early when they play Gate City.  Gym will be packed and it will be hard to get a seat.

Boy, that brings back memories. After Bassett opened the new hs in the early 80's all the big games got moved there. Remember Martinsville playing Oak Hill and Flint Hill there in the mid 80's and it being standing room only and people turned away. I think capacity was around 3000. Those Carver-DM games in the early to mid 80's were special, between the 2 schools they won 5 state championships in about an 8 year span then Magna Vista won state the 1st year after consolidation. I know the Union admin. is looking at the $ signs but I agree with BigWinners, hard to give up that home court advantage especially against a big rival.

On 12/21/2017 at 10:48 PM, BigWinners said:

As of right now, the game is still in BSG. Discussions are going on about whether to move it, but from what I gather, only the administration wants the move. I'm against it, it's a HOME game for a reason. The only reason to move to UVAW is money, and that shouldn't be the reason the seniors lose a home game. But the current administration seems to be more concerned with revenue over winning.

Just saw a post on twitter and the game is now going to be played at UVA-Wise.

On 12/20/2017 at 10:25 PM, E.Z.DOES.IT said:

Interesting. What rule was violated? 

I spoke to some friends in the Roanoke area about the issues with Cave Spring.  I just don't remember all of the details from that far back.  It seems, Cave Spring played a game at the Roanoke Civic Center in conjunction with the old NBA D-League Roanoke Dazzle.  Cave Spring played someone followed by a Dazzle game for a promotional deal to help the struggling NBDL franchise where Cave Spring apparently picked up some of the gate proceeds. 

For many reasons, that would be a very different situation than what we have here with Gate City.