Rankings

champ

8 minutes ago, Dick_Vitale said:

I have never seen this much interest in Girls Basketball... 

Lol. You haven't raised 5 daughters who all played basketball. Sorry if I'm overboard with the girls post. I love watching them. Boys are far more athletic but girls play as a team so much better. It's a better team game to watch. IMO

i usually catch a boys game once every two weeks or so 

21 minutes ago, champ said:

Lol. You haven't raised 5 daughters who all played basketball. Sorry if I'm overboard with the girls post. I love watching them. Boys are far more athletic but girls play as a team so much better. It's a better team game to watch. IMO

i usually catch a boys game once every two weeks or so 

To each their own. 

34 minutes ago, champ said:

I agree with the Abingdon statement however Galax beat Eastside last night. 

Eastside beat Union a couple weeks ago. 

Quite frankly I believe my honaker tigers can stay with Eastside this year.  I've seen Eastside 2 times ang I think they are a good team. I think they will come out of the SW region. However after watching PM 2 games now I don't think Eastside comes within 20. 

Galax looked very good one of the games I saw them but I also think they will struggle against this PM team. PM doesn't belong in 1A. 

Rankings will changed weekly that's for sure. It's Basketball so things will happen that's not suppose to happen.  I just figure ranking them will be fun. It will be fun to see how it turns out and how stupid I may end up looking 

Yes, I also think this is fun. It’s a challenge to see who knows the girls teams the best, and who is lucky enough to guess correctly. 

If Abingdon plays good team ball then I can’t see anyone in SWVA playing with them. They have experience, loads of talent, depth and size. 

From what I’ve seen from Galax they lack depth and consistency at this point  in the season. They did lose to GW by 20. I don’t think Eastside will lose to them next time they play  

Eastside did beat Union. Although ES shot like 30+ more free throws than Union. 3 starters from Union fouled out and ES won by like 5.  They play again in a couple weeks. I’d have to bet Union wins by +10. 

I agree It is possible for Honaker to upset ES.  

This is PM’s year, if they don’t win this year, there will be a lot of very disappointed PM fans, Just like all the GW fans from last year. 

19 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

Yes, I also think this is fun. It’s a challenge to see who knows the girls teams the best, and who is lucky enough to guess correctly. 

If Abingdon plays good team ball then I can’t see anyone in SWVA playing with them. They have experience, loads of talent, depth and size. 

From what I’ve seen from Galax they lack depth and consistency at this point  in the season. They did lose to GW by 20. I don’t think Eastside will lose to them next time they play  

Eastside did beat Union. Although ES shot like 30+ more free throws than Union. 3 starters from Union fouled out and ES won by like 5.  They play again in a couple weeks. I’d have to bet Union wins by +10. 

I agree It is possible for Honaker to upset ES.  

This is PM’s year, if they don’t win this year, there will be a lot of very disappointed PM fans, Just like all the GW fans from last year. 

I'm not sold on Eastside yet either. I think they looked pretty good but really mostly 1 player stood out. That's not gonna win against the best teams.  I'm planning to go see them play Union next time around.  I see where Eastside took 40 foul shots before and union fouled out 3 people ? That sounds a bit odd and one sided. 

I sit beside a ref for about a quarter yesterday at emory and Henry. Apparently he's done a lot of PM games and some summer games.  He told me this summer at someone's team camp PM beat Abingdon by 20. Of Course that's team camp stuff and I'd bet not everyone played for either team. 

I would love to see some of these top schools from each division go at it. Could be a lot of fun to watch. 

Yes your not the only one talking about Galax depth or lack there of. I think that will hold them back. I'm very interested to see how they do next time out vs the george wythe girls.  I understand george wythe is down but they beat Galax pretty bad a week or so ago.  

Looks like the way these teams are playing that the rankings may certainly change week to week.  Lots of strange things happening on the school board right now 

happy new year SWVA enjoy your families 

take it from me they grow up quickly and fly away 

I will add this 

when your playing the better teams vs the better teams many times it comes down to Coaching.  The Galax girls are well coached and I will say I am very impressed with Pm Coaching staff. They are extremely displine and he seems to have the pulse of the team spot on. 

Ridgeview is well coached as well.  

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Central may be the best coached team around. Robin Dotson is an incredible coach. 

Absolutely.  I'm not trying to leave anyone out. I'm just stating some things I've noticed 

Floyd County is well coached as well. Years ago I knew his Dad well who was also a great coach.  I think it's safe to say many of these top tier teams are very well coached. 

I actually was an assistant coach at a small college in PA for 7 years.  I see opportunities for many of these highschool coaches to advance to a small college level if they so desire. 

To many jack and cokes tonight . Y'all take care we will talk basketball tomorrow. 

On 12/30/2017 at 10:48 PM, Dick_Vitale said:

I have never seen this much interest in Girls Basketball... 

Ha!  You've never been to a Ridgeview game where most folks leave after the girls game.

@champ Ridgeview lost twice last week in Kentucky, so to be fair, they probably don't belong in the top 3 at the moment.  Very well could lose their third straight tomorrow night at Abingdon.  Since Central won a tournament in Orlando, and Abingdon looks to be pretty dominant, I think they should be 1st and 2nd at the moment hands down.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Ha!  You've never been to a Ridgeview game where most folks leave after the girls game.

@champ Ridgeview lost twice last week in Kentucky, so to be fair, they probably don't belong in the top 3 at the moment.  Very well could lose their third straight tomorrow night at Abingdon.  Since Central won a tournament in Orlando, and Abingdon looks to be pretty dominant, I think they should be 1st and 2nd at the moment hands down.

I was assuming the Kentucky teams may have been pretty good. I saw the Abingdon Ridgeview game on the schedule so I figured I'd wait a couple days and re rank. 

And I agree with the girls interest. I've been to 3 packed gyms this year.  Looking for a seat typed packed gyms 

2 hours ago, champ said:

I was assuming the Kentucky teams may have been pretty good. I saw the Abingdon Ridgeview game on the schedule so I figured I'd wait a couple days and re rank. 

And I agree with the girls interest. I've been to 3 packed gyms this year.  Looking for a seat typed packed gyms 

Kentucky team are on a whole another level. Pineville (Size of Thomas Walker) and Harlan County would easily be 1 and 2 in 2a Basketball and it wouldnt be close. 

Harlan County would be top 3 in 6A VA basketball, easy to say when you have 1 D1 signed girl and 2 Lower D1, Upper D2 supporters. 

On 1/2/2018 at 11:05 PM, swva_havok_fan said:

I actually have... among several other teams. There is a following but lets be honest. Ridgeview/Central have had top 1-2 teams in C40 for a few years (plus GC) but their boys teams (minus GC) have been basement dwellers. 

I was speaking more so about all the chat on this board about girls basketball... 

On 12/30/2017 at 10:18 PM, champ said:

Sorry I goofed 

1. Abingdon 

2 PM

3 ridgeview

4 central wise 

5 carrol 

6 Patrick County 

7 Galax 

8 floyd 

9 Christiansburg 

10 Eastside 

with the win over a very strong LB team I now have Abingdon on top 

UPDATE 

1 Abingdon ( big game tomorrow ) 

2 PM ( beat 3A RCHS 76-13 tonight ) 

3 Ridgeview ( big game awaits ) 

4 central wise 

5 carrol county 

6 Patrick county 

7 Christiansburg ( 30 point win over cave spring tonight ) 

8 floyd county 

9 Galax ( 3 point win over bland Tonight. Way to inconsistent with the lack of depth ) 

10 Eastside 

outside looking in UNION. 

Probably should be on the list but I want to make sure the Eastside loss was a fluke first. Game against Gate City ( demolished by PM) and Abingdon on Friday will help tell their story. 

40 minutes ago, champ said:

UPDATE 

4 central wise 

5 carrol county 

6 Patrick county 

8 floyd county 

9 Galax ( 3 point win over bland Tonight. Way to inconsistent with the lack of depth ) 

10 Eastside 

outside looking in UNION. 

Probably should be on the list but I want to make sure the Eastside loss was a fluke first. Game against Gate City ( demolished by PM) and Abingdon on Friday will help tell their story. 

I think you are pretty close with the right teams at this point of the season. 

Only change I would make is drop Galax and add Union. 

Galax beat Bland 34-31. Tazewell beat Bland by 32, Union beat Tazewell by 30+ twice already.  

1 hour ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I think you are pretty close with the right teams at this point of the season. 

Only change I would make is drop Galax and add Union. 

Galax beat Bland 34-31. Tazewell beat Bland by 32, Union beat Tazewell by 30+ twice already.  

I think your right.Galax isn't very consistent 

im going to watch Union this week and see how they shake out. The book is still out on Patrick county as well.  I'm not sold on them yet 

On 1/2/2018 at 10:46 PM, champ said:

UPDATE 

4 central wise 

5 carrol county 

6 Patrick county 

8 floyd county 

10 Eastside 

1. Abingdon. ( great overtime game vs Ridgeview ) 

2 PM 

3 Ridgeview 

4 central wise 

5 carrol county 

6 Patrick county 

7 Christiansburg 

8 floyd county 

9 martinsville 

10 galax 

my bubble team union was beaten by gate city . I personally attended the PM vs Gate City gsme.  Union losing to Gate City clearly places them off the bubble. 

Eastside now back on the bubble looking to move in 

Galax played the Bland game without Shay Foxx and Essence Brown.  With an already shocking lack of depth, losing the top two players on the team was noticeable.  I agree they are young and inconsistent but I wouldn't base any opinion on the Bland game.

24 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Galax played the Bland game without Shay Foxx and Essence Brown.  With an already shocking lack of depth, losing the top two players on the team was noticeable.  I agree they are young and inconsistent but I wouldn't base any opinion on the Bland game.

Sounds impressive to still get the win if that's the case.   I still at this point believe them to be at the 10 spot 

did those kids have fouls or injury.  I agree there's no way Galax can afford any injury with their current depth 

Just now, champ said:

Sounds impressive to still get the win if that's the case.   I still at this point believe them to be at the 10 spot 

did those kids have fouls or injury.  I agree there's no way Galax can afford any injury with their current depth 

From what I understand, a pretty nasty stomach bug.

2 hours ago, champ said:

2 PM 

3 Ridgeview 

4 central wise 

5 carrol county 

6 Patrick county 

7 Christiansburg 

8 floyd county 

9 martinsville 

10 galax 

my bubble team union was beaten by gate city . I personally attended the PM vs Gate City gsme.  Union losing to Gate City clearly places them off the bubble. 

I agree, very disturbing loss last night for Union. 

Also with Galax’s best two players out, that makes the Bland game an impressive win. 

Why not list your top ten, then list like 5 teams that are on the bubble. Like Eastside. Union. Maybe lebanon, Honaker, va high???  

1 hour ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I agree, very disturbing loss last night for Union. 

Also with Galax’s best two players out, that makes the Bland game an impressive win. 

Why not list your top ten, then list like 5 teams that are on the bubble. Like Eastside. Union. Maybe lebanon, Honaker, va high???  

Sounds good to me.  I like the honaker love. Lol

3 hours ago, champ said:

2 PM 

3 Ridgeview 

4 central wise 

5 carrol county 

6 Patrick county 

7 Christiansburg 

8 floyd county 

9 martinsville 

10 galax 

On 12/29/2017 at 9:10 AM, RCITYHOO said:

see nothing about girls only. sorry

It can be either one, just would help if people indicate which they are ranking.

Still don't see how Parry McCluer is even in this topic.  They are not in Southwest Virginia, as they are 60 miles past Roanoke heading up 81.

29 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Still don't see how Parry McCluer is even in this topic.  They are not in Southwest Virginia, as they are 60 miles past Roanoke heading up 81.

5 of that top 10 aren’t what this board classifies as “SWVA.”