Rankings

champ

Goodness guys don't be so testy. 

Again I based my list off of the teams tracked and listed under the schedules section of this board.  If you open up girls schedules and scores at the top of the chat board it list multiple teams.  Which I find to be very neat. 

For a basketball junkie like me I absolutely love seeing all the score updates from the different areas.  

So again the criteria used is solely based on the teams that have their SCHEDULES listed on this site.  Most seem to be WEST teams so I guess with the exception of a few west teams not listed than it covers most of the west and of Course all of the southwest 

1 Abingdon 

2 PM 

3 Ridgeview 

4 central 

5 carrol 

6 Christiansburg  

7 Patrick county 

8 Martinsville 

9 Galax 

10 Eastside 

bubble 

floyd 

honaker 

On 1/2/2018 at 12:51 PM, TwhscoachT said:

Kentucky team are on a whole another level. Pineville (Size of Thomas Walker) and Harlan County would easily be 1 and 2 in 2a Basketball and it wouldnt be close. 

Harlan County would be top 3 in 6A VA basketball, easy to say when you have 1 D1 signed girl and 2 Lower D1, Upper D2 supporters. 

Did you attend last nights TW/Pineville game and tonights game with Rye Cove?  I didnt see a final score for last nights game but the HT scores are similar.  Transitive property doesnt mean much but wondering what comparison you had for them if you saw each in person.

On 1/4/2018 at 11:01 PM, champ said:

1 Abingdon 

2 PM 

3 Ridgeview 

4 central 

5 carrol 

6 Christiansburg  

7 Patrick county 

8 Martinsville 

9 Galax 

10 Eastside 

bubble 

floyd 

honaker 

Richlands needs a lil love there 8-0 and playing pretty good ball.

10 hours ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

Richlands needs a lil love there 8-0 and playing pretty good ball.

For the record... Richlands is 8-0 and has played all 1A, struggling, schools. It is one thing to be 8-0 with a GC style schedule and another to be 8-0 and bash up on a bunch of schools with losing records. 

9 hours ago, Dick_Vitale said:

For the record... Richlands is 8-0 and has played all 1A, struggling, schools. It is one thing to be 8-0 with a GC style schedule and another to be 8-0 and bash up on a bunch of schools with using records. 

“Nope, it is exactly the same.” - University of Central Florida

On 1/5/2018 at 8:17 PM, 1inStripes said:

Did you attend last nights TW/Pineville game and tonights game with Rye Cove?  I didnt see a final score for last nights game but the HT scores are similar.  Transitive property doesnt mean much but wondering what comparison you had for them if you saw each in person.

Unless jv girls games are somewhere else that day I tend to be at every game.

The difference was that pineville never pressed, sat in a zone or a sagging man and begged us to shoot. They cycled players in and out and really played everyone. Spoke the coach after the game, he understands down years and has experienced his fair share.

Rye cove on the other hand pressed mid way into the 4th quarter, used their starters mid way thru the 4th quarter and if not for number 3 outside shooting it would have been a 8-10 point game. 

If the two were to meet. Pineville's 45 would have a field day and score at will, she has a d2 skillset and probably the best player we will see all year. I say pineville would win by 20-40 in a blow out.

I really believe if they were in Vhsl 1a division it would be 20 to 40 point favorite over everyone.

8 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

Unless jv girls games are somewhere else that day I tend to be at every game.

The difference was that pineville never pressed, sat in a zone or a sagging man and begged us to shoot. They cycled players in and out and really played everyone. Spoke the coach after the game, he understands down years and has experienced his fair share.

Rye cove on the other hand pressed mid way into the 4th quarter, used their starters mid way thru the 4th quarter and if not for number 3 outside shooting it would have been a 8-10 point game. 

If the two were to meet. Pineville's 45 would have a field day and score at will, she has a d2 skillset and probably the best player we will see all year. I say pineville would win by 20-40 in a blow out.

I really believe if they were in Vhsl 1a division it would be 20 to 40 point favorite over everyone.

Which team are you talking about you guys have lost me. Who is 20-40 points better than anyone ? 

Are you saying pineville would be 20-30 points better then anyone in Division 1 ? 

I haven't seen them play 

what division are they ? How do they rank vs Ridgeview or Abingdon? 

Pineville would be #1 in 1a vhsl and it would not be close. They could possibly be top 3 in 2a west of Roanoke. Stretching the transitive property here, but I have seen them in person along with Rye cove. I'll let you know after Tuesday's game vs Eastside how they would stack up.

32 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I would like to hear why TW is upbeat about their team. 

Varsity girls starting line up is composed of 3 sophomores, and one freshman(a very good player) and can go 8 deep off the bench. We lose 3 seniors this year. One will be replaced by a JV player who is coming along and the other one will be up for grabs.

At the youth level, due to too many circumstances , Development should improve within 3 to 4 years. AAU teams are being created by the high school staff to lesson the load on those coaches and teach them our system. There is another varsity low coming in about 3 or 4 years but hopefully after that we should start having consistent JV and varsity level talent throughout the program instead of taking newcomers at the JV ranks.

So basically the high school and middle school staff are working as one and AAU interest is growing, I will know if the AAU is confirmed around the middle of January but all signs say yes.

26 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

Varsity girls starting line up is composed of 3 sophomores, and one freshman(a very good player) and can go 8 deep off the bench. We lose 3 seniors this year. One will be replaced by a JV player who is coming along and the other one will be up for grabs.

At the youth level, due to too many circumstances , Development should improve within 3 to 4 years. AAU teams are being created by the high school staff to lesson the load on those coaches and teach them our system. There is another varsity low coming in about 3 or 4 years but hopefully after that we should start having consistent JV and varsity level talent throughout the program instead of taking newcomers at the JV ranks.

So basically the high school and middle school staff are working as one and AAU interest is growing, I will know if the AAU is confirmed around the middle of January but all signs say yes.

Sounds like TW is trying to do the right stuff to build a winning program. 

4 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

Pineville would be #1 in 1a vhsl and it would not be close. They could possibly be top 3 in 2a west of Roanoke. Stretching the transitive property here, but I have seen them in person along with Rye cove. I'll let you know after Tuesday's game vs Eastside how they would stack up.

I'm caught up now.  Your talking about pineville in KY.   I haven't seen them play and I'm not doubting what your seeing but I have seen Eastside girls twice, Galax, honaker and PM girls.  Along with Ridgeview Abingdon and a few others. 

As far as small schools division 1 in VA you would have to really convince me there's anyone in any state 20-40 points better than the PM team. They are the best small school I've ever seen.  

For a reference I personally think PM is 25-35 points better then Eastside. 

Does pineville play anymore games here in SWVA ? I'd like to catch them if I can. 

1 hour ago, champ said:

I'm caught up now.  Your talking about pineville in KY.   I haven't seen them play and I'm not doubting what your seeing but I have seen Eastside girls twice, Galax, honaker and PM girls.  Along with Ridgeview Abingdon and a few others. 

As far as small schools division 1 in VA you would have to really convince me there's anyone in any state 20-40 points better than the PM team. They are the best small school I've ever seen.  

For a reference I personally think PM is 25-35 points better then Eastside. 

Does pineville play anymore games here in SWVA ? I'd like to catch them if I can. 

Ky basketball is on another level.

Here is two more local "Mountain" teams you can research and see that they are better than pm, galax, and eastside.

Harlan Green Dragons (We will know just how good pineville is based on this matchup later in the season)

Pikeville Panthers (Lost to shelby valley by 2 (1a school))

To say they are 20 points might be a stretch, but to say they are noticeably better is a better way to put it.

Complete schedules are on the riherd site. Google it hit girls basketball and have fun, don't get lost like I usually do

1 hour ago, Girls-Hoops said:

Sounds like TW is trying to do the right stuff to build a winning program. 

Yes I can assure you this staff is pushing to return to what they once were. The last 15-20 years haven't been the brightest for the girls.

1 hour ago, TwhscoachT said:

Here is two more local "Mountain" teams you can research and see that they are better than pm, galax, and eastside.

Harlan Green Dragons (We will know just how good pineville is based on this matchup later in the season)

To say they are 20 points might be a stretch, but to say they are noticeably better is a better way to put it.

Complete schedules are on the riherd site. Google it hit girls basketball and have fun, don't get lost like I usually do

Thank you. 

Lost is my middle name.  My wife use to nap while I read the maps. Now we just turn around regularly in people's drive ways while following the GPS. 

18 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

I did a little research. Read a recent article and watched a few video clips. Also looked at some scores. 

My conclusion is Pineville is probably at Galax or Eastside level maybe just a bit better. But not close to PM. 

Harlan is a different story. They have like the 3rd or 4th ranked prospect in Kentucky. Then another girl ranked in the top 75. I’ll have to say they are probably head and shoulders better than any 1A school in va. 

The article I read said that Pineville was the only school that had any chance at all to beat Harlan, and it wasn’t much of a chance at all. 

This is All just a guess, just for kicks LOL!!

1 hour ago, Girls-Hoops said:

I did a little research. Read a recent article and watched a few video clips. Also looked at some scores. 

My conclusion is Pineville is probably at Galax or Eastside level maybe just a bit better. But not close to PM. 

Harlan is a different story. They have like the 3rd or 4th ranked prospect in Kentucky. Then another girl ranked in the top 75. I’ll have to say they are probably head and shoulders better than any 1A school in va. 

The article I read said that Pineville was the only school that had any chance at all to beat Harlan, and it wasn’t much of a chance at all. 

This is All just a guess, just for kicks LOL!!

Saw eastside firsthand tonight, they are quick and run well. I would say -15 in favor of pineville if they met on an neutral floor. Pineville is not as quick but has the skillset advantage at 3 positions.

Careful not to confuse harlan (city) for harlan county. The county school has all of those prospects. Harlan county would rank in VA 6a top 10, but they are that big too

55 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

Saw eastside firsthand tonight, they are quick and run well. I would say -15 in favor of pineville if they met on an neutral floor. Pineville is not as quick but has the skillset advantage at 3 positions.

Careful not to confuse harlan (city) for harlan county. The county school has all of those prospects. Harlan county would rank in VA 6a top 10, but they are that big too

I watched some of pineville on line as well. PM would have to play awful to lose to them. I think the PM team would be top 3 at most levels D1-D4   I'm not sure how they would do against Harlan.   They sound great.

I still want to go to go see pineville in person 

It sounds like EASTSIDE and GALAX may be some competition for PM but not much 

I'm still finger crossing that honaker can slide by EASTSIDE.  We are so very young but playing good ball so far 

Rye cove vs Eastside should be a good game once tourney time comes. 

Next season is going to be a slugfest in the Cumberland. Rye cove, Eastside, and JIB all lose major contributors. Twin Springs and TW all retain their core and I've not seen CW yet.