Rankings

champ

Castlewood is struggling at the moment it looks like.  I think it was 43-1 at one point against RC last week.  I have a friend with a niece on their team and she had said before hand that its going to be a long season for the Lady Devils.

RC and Eastside square off Friday night in Clinchport.  I wish I was able to see it as it should be a great game.

The biggest reason RC dropped games to Shelby Valley and especially Jenkins was due to conditioning early in the season.  If not their showing in the tourney at UVA Wise would have been much improved.

8 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

Rye cove vs Eastside should be a good game once tourney time comes. 

Next season is going to be a slugfest in the Cumberland. Rye cove, Eastside, and JIB all lose major contributors. Twin Springs and TW all retain their core and I've not seen CW yet.

CW Is down and out. 

PM is probably Even with Central and Ridgeview.  They are playing at a pretty high level for 1A. 

14 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Just saw this score popup on Twitter.   Good Lord!  GIRLS BASKETBALL -- Parry McCluer 89, Highland 7 -- Final.

I would be extremely careful doing this at a 1a school, This could REALLY come back to bite you. 

16 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Just saw this score popup on Twitter.   Good Lord!  GIRLS BASKETBALL -- Parry McCluer 89, Highland 7 -- Final.

Last night after seeing this I have to raise an eyebrow at this and wonderful about the message a coach is sending.  I immediately question the coach at hand for this ( that was my first thought ) 

1 hour ago, TwhscoachT said:

I would be extremely careful doing this at a 1a school, This could REALLY come back to bite you. 

I just like you has the same original reaction. 

8 hours ago, Girls-Hoops said:

CW Is down and out. 

PM is probably Even with Central and Ridgeview.  They are playing at a pretty high level for 1A. 

I've seen Ridgeview play 3 games and agree they are a very solid team.  I'd take PM by double digits 

so my final thoughts are that seeing a score like that was a little mind blowing and you question a coaches intentions at first glance. However after digging a little deeper today it appears the team is so deep that most of the back ups would start on most teams throughout the region. ( I read this online from a guy that covers the ODAC  he stated that the entire bench could play minutes for the odac schools )  and the starters would all easily start for the ODAC.  Apparently they have 2 ligit D1/D2 recruits as juniors . 

It's hard finding much info on PM. There is apparently no local news paper in BUENA VISTA.  I found a news gazette that covers the area but there's not an abundance of stuff on line.  What I did read was impressive.  

It appears this group of kids played ball for several years together much like the northwood girls story I read from a couple years ago.  PM played that same northwood team with mostly freshman and lost in the state finals or maybe semi finals . Then last year they won the state with a predominantly sophomore roster.  

I'm not so sure they aren't the best team in any of the 1 2 3 or 4 A  programs I've seen  

I haven't seen everyone but the ones I have seen PM could play with or beat any of them. 

However with all this being said the book is still out on this score  I'd like to see how the game was handled.  I'd like to watch them play a couple more games if possible. 

My first thought and my first gut feeling tells me it's ridiculous and uncalled for. But if they are that deep then maybe it's nothing you can do about it.  

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. As I would also caution a program for running a score up. If that's indeed what happened. However if your that good do you teach your kids to let someone else score ? 

I would say absolutely not.  This will be worth tracking this year.  

Lastly i I don't think the Highland team is that good  sounds like they have a struggling program 

I lived in PA for several years and the key to all success appears to be Playing lots of basketball together. In PA they are starting AAU teams as early as 2nd grade.  

It seems that any dominant successful team usually has an AAU story. However for every one success story there's 5 teams that started at a young age and because of coaches or parents or both they ruined the game for these kids. 

I think starting kids early is great but you have to let them have fun as well  

I hope all 5 of my daughters would tell you that we had fun and it never felt like a job. 

I HOPE  they would say that. 

13 minutes ago, TwhscoachT said:

Use it as a practice, yell on the court and waste time teaching during the game. Work on a delay offense or focus on a specific shot vs a zone. I could waste a good 3 mins doing that.

Yes I agree there are some things you can do and continue to be sharp. 

I don't think holding the ball to long is the answer because you want to play ball and continue to work on your game 

but certainly working on a half court offense and looking for certain shots could slow things down.  There's not much you can do about defense but offensively you can slow down.  

In PA this was never the case. They would beat you to the point of blood and tears coming out and the favor would be returned when the opportunity presented itself. 

Cut throat basketball from AAU to Highschool. The boys were always worse than the girls. We had a small highschool 15 miles from the border line of PA and Maryland. I watched them lose a game 125 to 4 one evening.  

Very sad to see that 

So, since this has become the unofficial girls basketball thread, it should be mentioned that Jada Boyd of Appomattox Regional Governors School (lost to Northwood in 2016 1A finals), scored a VHSL record 69 points, had a VHSL record 33 rebounds and 10 blocks tonight in an OT loss to Franklin County. She scored 69 of ARGS 77 points. 

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

So, since this has become the unofficial girls basketball thread, it should be mentioned that Jada Boyd of Appomattox Regional Governors School (lost to Northwood in 2016 1A finals), scored a VHSL record 69 points, had a VHSL record 33 rebounds and 10 blocks tonight in an OT loss to Franklin County. She scored 69 of ARGS 77 points. 

My goodness. Congrats to that young lady 

sounds like she needs some help if they still lost the game. What a shame. But what a great memory for that young Lady. 

On 1/4/2018 at 11:01 PM, champ said:

1 Abingdon 

2 PM 

3 Ridgeview 

4 central 

5 carrol 

6 Christiansburg  

7 Patrick county 

8 Martinsville 

9 Galax 

10 Eastside 

bubble 

floyd 

honaker 

Updated 1-11-18

1. PM 

2. Abingdon 

3. Central 

4 carrol county 

5 Ridgeview 

6 Patrick county 

7 Christiansburg 

8 martinsville 

9 Eastside 

10 Galax 

bubble

Honaker 

Floyd county 

Union 

Lebanon 

27 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

That Highland team has won 2 games...........

And they’ve played, what, 10+?  Against whom have they won?  In my day, in baseball, Grundy used to run up ridiculous records out-of-district by playing the worst teams in VA, then get slaughtered 35-0 by every SWD team, even Graham.  Doesn’t mean they’re good.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

And they’ve played, what, 10+?  Against whom have they won?  In my day, in baseball, Grundy used to run up ridiculous records out-of-district by playing the worst teams in VA, then get slaughtered 35-0 by every SWD team, even Graham.  Doesn’t mean they’re good.

See 2017 Ridgeview and Richlands basketball, although in Richlands case, it may have been more of a looking ahead to Graham tomorrow night scenario that bit them against Lebanon the other night, because Lebanon didn't look all that good at all against us and it was a game we should've had easily but we played terribly in the first half, got down by 16 and couldn't recover.

Play a 1A non conference schedule and go undefeated rolling along the way may look good at first, but when you lose when you get to the teams in your district/classification...  can't prepare for the M7 or SWD when you're playing teams like Grundy, Council, Castlewood and Patrick Henry.

2 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

PM just beat Eastern Montgomery 97-13 ???

Holy cow!!!!!

it doesn't appear that Eastern Montgomey is very good but still 97-13 is putting it up there. 

10 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Maybe the PM players should start putting some in those teams' baskets to help them out?

A King women's player did that the other night against Lees-McRae.  Totally lost all semblance of thought for a second.  It happens I suppose.  Luckily that basket didn't make a difference in the final outcome.

Is Region C using the mercy rule like Region D is. I’m talking about single A, I was told 2A and up voted against the Mercy rule.  Because 90+ points is a tremendous amount to score if the clock is running nonstop  for the 3rd and 4th quarter. Unless they are pressing the whole game?????

36 minutes ago, Girls-Hoops said:

Is Region C using the mercy rule like Region D is. I’m talking about single A, I was told 2A and up voted against the Mercy rule.  Because 90+ points is a tremendous amount to score if the clock is running nonstop  for the 3rd and 4th quarter. Unless they are pressing the whole game?????

I was at Galax this year and they had a running clock.  Apparently it's a running clock after getting a certain lead. 

I watched the PM vs Gate City game. They didn't press late in that game but their transition game looks like small college ball. 

Their point guard is one of the better floor generals I've laid eyes on. She sets them up time and time again with easy buckets. 

Their bigs run the court like guards. They have several good shooters as well 

I saw them play Floyd County as well. It wasn't even close. 

Id love to see them play Abingdon, central etc.  it would be some great action to watch. 

I still feel like honaker can sneak into the region D. I don't see them beating PM but I hope to play them so they can see what kind of standard needs to be set.  

From what I can tell it's a 4 team field for the west title in single A. I've watched about 12 games of multiple schools now and to me 

PM. GALAX. EASTSIDE AND homer alert 

HONAKER are the only 4 teams that have a chance. Personally I think PM is 20-30 points better than Any of the other 3.   

EAST I have no idea.  Someone up there scored 69 points with 30 rebounds.  You'd have to think that team can compete ? 

2A central is a surprise. Many told me they were down a little but they certainly seem to be heading the right direction.  FLOYD county is a good team. They have lost to several good teams.  I'm not sure what to think about Ridgeview ? They have also played a pretty solid schedule