Can Mac get past 2770?

BearDawg

4 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

I do believe Graham is much better than people may want to give them credit for or realize but let's not go thumping our chest over the whole holding opponents to 45.  All be it that is impressive nonetheless but it's the SWD.  The M7 wasn't that great but look who's still alive in the region, 3 M7's to your 1 SWD.  I agree that if both make it to the region championship it will be the toughest opponent GC has played in awhile but the same can go for Graham.

Graham beat an M7 team by 31 last night and held them to 46...

27 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

This board needs to realize, that when Graham and Gate City play for the regional title, that for the first time since the Arby’s Tournament, Gate City is playing a team whose best game is better than their own worst game.  I don’t think Graham wins, but this board would unjustifiably have a cataclysmic meltdown if it happened.

Second time.  Cleveland is a team that is probably better than Graham by a little bit I do believe.

15 minutes ago, GMan said:

Will be interesting to see what happens to Graham after March 1, if, in fact they make it that far...how many times has a team playing in the State Tournament just lost their head coach???

What happened/is happening with Carlock?

I think all of the attention on GC is good for Graham. GC has ALL of the pressure. Graham is supposed to lose. They can come in, and play loose with no pressure. I do not see it as a big stretch for GC to lose to Graham on Saturday (assuming we both get there). GC historically does not shoot the ball very well at UVA - Wise, and will be playing with all of the pressure. Is a recipe for a loss.

I am probably in the minority here, but I believe a Graham win over GC would not be the worst thing to happen. We have played sloppy for large stretches this season. A loss to Graham might get us focused.

"Graham beat an M7 team by 31 last night and held them to 46..."   GC played arguably their worst half of basketball all year, and beat a SWD team by 37 last night and held them to 43. At the end of the day, both of those stats mean Jack Feces. This time of the year it is about match ups, and who plays their best game. If we play our best game, are hitting the 3s, and driving to the basket & getting fouled........believe we have a shot at a state championship. If those things do not happen.........we could lose Friday.

But...........back to the original topic..................

I HOPE Mac gets the all-time scoring record, but do not believe he will do so. Think I read that we need to make it to the state finals and him average 33 a game to set the record. After our performance in the first half last night, I worry about us making it to the finals. I would also assume his scoring average may dip slightly as we (hopefully) progress. Plus.......he has left a lot of points on the floor this year. There have been many times where he has tried to be a little too fancy and give the crowd what they want to see, and ended up not scoring at all. Believe he would already have the record if he had focused more on just scoring........of course we fans love the under the leg, and 360 dunks. Would have been good for the team to have gotten the all-time scoring record out of the way already and switched the focus solely to a state championship. Last night we did not handle the pressure of the single season record very well.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham would win if McClung had to sit, and it’s really not debatable.

You do realize that Graham’s only losses of the season are two 1-point losses to Bluefield (just 4 losses on the season itself), a team against whom Graham pretty much has a mental block.  You do realize that Graham has defeated teams like Martinsville, who seems to be turning it on in time for the postseason.  You do realize that Graham’s margin of victory in its key games (Union) isn’t *that* dissimilar to Gate City’s margin of victory.  You do realize that Graham hasn’t given up more than 56 points to a non-Bluefield opponent this calendar year.

All the fawning over Gate City has badly, and unwarrantedly, overshadowed that Graham has a quality team this season that would be a legitimate state title threat in every other season in the last two decades but this one.  This board needs to realize, that when Graham and Gate City play for the regional title, that for the first time since the Arby’s Tournament, Gate City is playing a team whose best game is better than their own worst game.  I don’t think Graham wins, but this board would unjustifiably have a cataclysmic meltdown if it happened.

With respect, this sounds like the same story we heard in football. How graham was a better match up for appo and would beat Union because we couldn’t handle their speed or cover the pass. We saw how well that went. 

Im not trash in graham. They have a couple explosive players, and a solid team. As for Bluefield. Let’s be honest, if they had to compete in Va, would they be that good?  Honest question because I don’t know much about wva teams. 

And if they win, I’ll pull for em down the road. But gc has three d1 recruits.  Graham may have trouble with central. They like to run and press a lot. That’ll be a good game. Gc lost one senior from last season. They lost to eventual champ in ot. These guys have played highly competitive aau in the off season. If they don’t win, I’ll be shocked. But that’s why you play the games right. I hope to see the gc vs graham game. It’ll be fun.

I hope GC isn't worried about the other record at all.  It seems like we may agree that, in the first half, GC showed obvious tension and wasn't handling the pressure very well.  They were trying to get Mac the ball and he was taking very tough, contested shots and nothing was falling.  I believe Lebanon missed a bunch of early ft's or they would have had the lead after the first quarter.  With the one record being over now my hope is they get back to playing loose and free because if they don't it will be an early exit.  

24 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Damned “facts”.  I also see that Graham held Union to 42, and I don’t remember seeing Union in the SWD standings...

Guess you got me. GC just held Union to 47 in their last game, and won 82-47 for a 35 point margin of victory. Guess that means Graham is 5 points better than GC. I may just skip the game on Saturday. :)

56 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Damned “facts”.  I also see that Graham held Union to 42, and I don’t remember seeing Union in the SWD standings...

You're missing my point.  Both M7 and SWD aren't very strong this year, however based on the final four in the region M7 is slightly ahead.  Holding opponents to 45 is still impressive but it's not like they will do that against better competition.  

That's pretty cool that a SWVA kid has the single season scoring record but I have to wonder how many Iverson would've scored playing against SWVA competition most of the time and vice versa McClung playing the competition Iverson played in Hampton. 

10 hours ago, BearDawg said:

As for Bluefield. Let’s be honest, if they had to compete in Va, would they be that good?  Honest question because I don’t know much about wva teams. 

Is that a serious question? Bluefield is always typically one of the better teams in WV AA. They won state back to back in 2013 and 2014. With the exception of Gate City, basketball in SWVA isn't any better than in Southern WV really. They beat Graham just about every year and they seem to do just fine in VA. 

http://www.swvatoday.com/sports/richlands_clinch_valley/article_a9e92ca8-10ed-11e8-ac8d-d7ccc8c8cfe4.html
This season to be the last for Graham basketball coach
JIM TALBERT\Staff Feb 13, 2018  

10 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

What happened/is happening with Carlock?

22 hours ago, Beamerball said:

Of course depending on what numbers you go by.  Going by the career mark that was posted in the KTN at the end of last year (1673), I believe he would need 139.   I've seen a couple other discrepancies in numbers, all within a 30 point margin. Maybe that will be noted in some of the game recap articles????

I know of at least six different articles/tweets from four different media outlets (i.e. Kingsport Times-News, JC Press, Bristol HC, WCYB) that have reported scoring totals that don't agree with any of the others.

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I know of at least six different articles/tweets from four different media outlets (i.e. Kingsport Times-News, JC Press, Bristol HC, WCYB) that have reported scoring totals that don't agree with any of the others.

And on the VHSL homepage.... 163 away?  Maybe? lol

image.thumb.png.f026b29531f260dfba134774a65036bb.png

2 hours ago, BBHoops_18 said:

Is that a serious question? Bluefield is always typically one of the better teams in WV AA. They won state back to back in 2013 and 2014. With the exception of Gate City, basketball in SWVA isn't any better than in Southern WV really. They beat Graham just about every year and they seem to do just fine in VA. 

Note the last line. I mentioned I do t now a lot about wva sports. Back to back titles in wva or any state is sweet!  Same question. And in fairness, how much of a measuring stick is the swd in hoops. I played baseball and basketball at Appy too. Not what we were known for. 

Off topic though. 

21 hours ago, Canes00 said:

That's pretty cool that a SWVA kid has the single season scoring record but I have to wonder how many Iverson would've scored playing against SWVA competition most of the time and vice versa McClung playing the competition Iverson played in Hampton. 

Probably about the same — legitimate scorers score. Mac scored 26, 44, 28, and 39 (for a ~34 ppg average) against N Meck, Fern Creek, Lakota East, and Cleveland. Those teams — particularly N Meck and FC — are generally better than teams in the 757 area, so I don’t think you’d have seen a major drop off in point totals if Mac was playing in Hampton. 

If the competition plays such a huge part in the record, then why has it not been done before?  Not saying you are diminishing him or anything but others have said that before too and I just do t but it.  I get that the competition helped a little but it still is all about Mac and his athleticism and talent that done it as well as his teammates.

30 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

If the competition plays such a huge part in the record, then why has it not been done before?  Not saying you are diminishing him or anything but others have said that before too and I just do t but it.  I get that the competition helped a little but it still is all about Mac and his athleticism and talent that done it as well as his teammates.

I agree — there’s a reason it was a 25 year old record.