Gate City/Union @ UVA-Wise

Leatherhead Larry

As everyone probably knows the GC @ Union game is at UVA-Wise tomorrow night. But what’s everyone’s take on this one? Union without Slagle and GC coming off a tough grind of 4 games last week. GC didn’t play too well vs Va High at UVA-Wise earlier this year. Is it going to be closer than most expect? 

40 minutes ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

As everyone probably knows the GC @ Union game is at UVA-Wise tomorrow night. But what’s everyone’s take on this one? Union without Slagle and GC coming off a tough grind of 4 games last week. GC didn’t play too well vs Va High at UVA-Wise earlier this year. Is it going to be closer than most expect? 

No

1 hour ago, Leatherhead Larry said:

I don’t think so... Gate City will have their way as they will with the rest of M7

1 hour ago, Dick_Vitale said:

What kind of crowd does everyone think will show up at the Prior Center? 

Gate City-Boone had over 2,700 in Gray.  Per the UVA-W site, Prior's capacity is 3,000 for sporting events.  I think fans better get there early or risk being turned away.

Union played well in the Grand tourney without Slagle and I still think they are the 2nd best team in the M7 without him. It seems they have had a different guy step up each game which has given them some much needed depth. That being said, I still say GC by 20. Union rebounds well and plays good defense which will help keep it close for awhile. I think Union plays them closer than anyone else around just because of matchups but Mac and Ervin are just to good of a pair. Should be a good crowd but the Convocation Center is a great facility. I dread the parking and traffic afterwards!

Was 21-6 after the first quarter and then union did a really nice job of slowing the game down and making their 3s. That kept the in it. Every time Union began to gain momentum it seemed Mac or Zac answered with a 3 and limited it. Not much you can do with those guys!

i thought the zone d frustrated gc. they couldnt get to the rim and union made them make jump shots. they made enough to win but unions zone kept it close. maybe a blueprint for teams down the road. union shot the 3 well also especially austin gibson. 

Not sure why, but the two worst games I have seen us play have been at UVA - Wise. So far..........we have not shot the bell very well there, and not played well there. May not bode well for down the road.

I am in the stands thinking..........we are up 21-6 after the first quarter and Union is packing in that 3-2 zone. Hell......hold the ball just past half court and force them out of that zone. If they stay in it, just hang out and let the clock run. Made no sense to try and force shots.......especially when most of them were not falling.

A part of our game is driving to the basket, getting fouled, and hitting our free throws. Did not happen last night. I had to leave with about 3 minutes to go in the game. Union had just been called for their second foul of the entire game. NOT blaming anything on the officials. We should have done a better job of taking the ball to the basket.

1 hour ago, Great City said:

Not sure why, but the two worst games I have seen us play have been at UVA - Wise. So far..........we have not shot the bell very well there, and not played well there. May not bode well for down the road.

I am in the stands thinking..........we are up 21-6 after the first quarter and Union is packing in that 3-2 zone. Hell......hold the ball just past half court and force them out of that zone. If they stay in it, just hang out and let the clock run. Made no sense to try and force shots.......especially when most of them were not falling.

A part of our game is driving to the basket, getting fouled, and hitting our free throws. Did not happen last night. I had to leave with about 3 minutes to go in the game. Union had just been called for their second foul of the entire game. NOT blaming anything on the officials. We should have done a better job of taking the ball to the basket.

Sounds like GC has a case of the Hokies. 

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Gate City isn’t losing by 26 at home to anyone short of a college team.

I didn’t meant it in that sense. Meant that they are a slashing team that likes to drive and shoot FTs. Zone teams cut that out if they are good. VT has been hampered by the last 4 teams they’ve played because they are playing a zone or pack-line. 

Sounds like Union tried to do the same thing, GC was just making their shots enough to still be successful.