Pre-1970 Champions

Plywood_King

As a whippersnapper myself, I'm curious because it's never been explained to me how state championships were settled pre-1970 (the point at which the VHSL begins recognizing "VHSL State Football Champions"). I assume there was a playoff system, but I'm curious as to why the VHSL doesn't recognize those championships. Was the playoff not sponsored by the VHSL? Was is weirdly structured and therefore invalid? Was there no playoff at all all, and it was settled in an "AP National Champion" fashion where a newspaper just picked the best team in the state? I really have no knowledge of this at all, and any info that anyone may have would be appreciated.

There wasn't a consistant method to determine a champion.  I believe it was mostly based on the votes of sportswriters across the state considering regular season results only.  Example: Graham won the 1962 state championship with a 9-1 record.

Though I have heard of schools trying to match-up top teams (e.g. East vs West) after the regular season for the title.

I'm sure the voting method was extremely controversial.  Marion's 1930 team was 10-1-1 and has a "state championship trophy"; however, VHSL recognized a different team that year.  So yes, @Plywood_King, much like the AP-UPI-USAT annual polls debacle prior to BCA/BCF/CFP.

(records per @Bluefield researcher Yearly Record Thread).

There were different rules for time periods.

Graham won in 1962 based on the point system. The point system did not count out of state games. Graham's only loss in 1962 was to WV AAA Champion Bluefield. There was a system in the early years where the eastern champion played the western champion in the largest class which at that time was called Class A.  Schools from class B and Class C would often play regional championship games when they could be arranged.. And then if it could be arranged the eastern and western champions would play. This is why you will see schools claim championships before 1970 in the smaller classes. Then there were no playoffs at all until 1965 and and before 1965 is when a point system was used but only undefeated teams were eligible and they must have been in Class A.. Again regional champions would play but only one round. If more than one school was undefeated co champions were declared. This lasted until 1969 in A and AA and 1971 in AAA. The only voting that went on was the regional committee would sometimes vote on the regional champion if there was no clear cut winner. I have never run across a school claiming a championship where there was not validity in the claim. 

So to make it clear. There WERE playoffs before 1970. They were controlled by the regions and not the VHSL until 1970. The reason there was only one round in the early years is the big schools did not want to give up their Thanksgiving day games that often would draw ten to twenty thousand fans in Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News, Richmond and Fairfax County. In 1969 Maggie Walker and Armstrong High of Richmond drew 28,000 for their Thanksgiving weekend game.

The VHSL did not keep track of champions until 1970. The late great Marshall Johnson went back and accumulated the list that you see in the VHSL record book but he only did the larger class. One day I may try to figure out the smaller classes since I do have a lot of the information available whenever I can take the time to organize it.

44 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

There wasn't a consistant method to determine a champion.  I believe it was mostly based on the votes of sportswriters across the state considering regular season results only.  Example: Graham won the 1962 state championship with a 9-1 record.

Though I have heard of schools trying to match-up top teams (e.g. East vs West) after the regular season for the title.

I'm sure the voting method was extremely controversial.  Marion's 1930 team was 10-1-1 and has a "state championship trophy"; however, VHSL recognized a different team that year.  So yes, @Plywood_King, much like the AP-UPI-USAT annual polls debacle prior to BCA/BCF/CFP.

(records per @Bluefield researcher Yearly Record Thread).

Marion's record in 1930 was: They were the Class B champions

00-00  T  Virginia High

26-00  W  Pulaski

64-00  W  Hillsville

46-00  W  Rural Retreat

06-00  W  Richlands

72-00  W  Chilhowie

20-00  W  William King (Abingdon)

40-00  W  Galax

46-00  W  George Wythe

00-06  L  Saltville

40-07  W  Appalachia  (playoff game)

20-00  W  Clifton Forge (playoff game)

Saltville only lost one game but that was to Class C Glade Spring so the committee awarded the regional title to Marion. Clifton Forge defeated Fredericksburg to win the other half state championship. Marion then defeated Clifton Forge. The title is legit. Not the A champions but the B champions.

Clifton Forge's record

06-31  L  E. C. Glass  (class A school) loss did not count against their record

00-06  L  Lexington  (Lexington was regional champ but declined to participate in the regional playoffs so 2nd place Clifton Forge accepted)

26-00  W  Central High of Low Moor

06-00  W  Greenbrier Military School JV

18-06  W  Robert E. Lee Staunton

37-00  W  Parry McCluer

31-00  W  Valley of Hot Springs

08-06  W  Covington

08-00  W  Robert E. Lee Staunton

14-07  W  Fredericksburg  (playoff)

00-20  L  Marion  (playoff)

11 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Graham won in 1962 based on the point system. The point system did not count out of state games. Graham's only loss in 1962 was to WV AAA Champion Bluefield.

Graham actually lost that year to Andrew Lewis (Salem) and Andrew Lewis was initially crowned champions.  Later, however, it was discovered that Andrew Lewis had used an ineligible player and thus had to forfeit some games, including the Graham game.  Graham was then declared State Champion.

The ineligible player was discovered before Andrew Lewis was declared champions. It came to light in late October. They appealed the ruling and then lost. The decision was actually announced at the Graham football banquet. They did not know until then.

14 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Marion's record in 1930 was: They were the Class B champions

00-00  T  Virginia High

26-00  W  Pulaski

64-00  W  Hillsville

46-00  W  Rural Retreat

06-00  W  Richlands

72-00  W  Chilhowie

20-00  W  William King (Abingdon)

40-00  W  Galax

46-00  W  George Wythe

00-06  L  Saltville

40-07  W  Appalachia  (playoff game)

20-00  W  Clifton Forge (playoff game)

Good stuff, thanks guys. It's certainly not a record, and if I'm not mistaken, Saltville had a very lengthy "unscored on streak" during this period, but 380-13 in a season is pretty dang impressive in any era.

21 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Graham won in 1962 based on the point system. The point system did not count out of state games. Graham's only loss in 1962 was to WV AAA Champion Bluefield. There was a system in the early years where the eastern champion played the western champion in the largest class which at that time was called Class A.  Schools from class B and Class C would often play regional championship games when they could be arranged.. And then if it could be arranged the eastern and western champions would play. This is why you will see schools claim championships before 1970 in the smaller classes. Then there were no playoffs at all until 1965 and and before 1965 is when a point system was used but only undefeated teams were eligible and they must have been in Class A.. Again regional champions would play but only one round. If more than one school was undefeated co champions were declared. This lasted until 1969 in A and AA and 1971 in AAA. The only voting that went on was the regional committee would sometimes vote on the regional champion if there was no clear cut winner. I have never run across a school claiming a championship where there was not validity in the claim. 

So to make it clear. There WERE playoffs before 1970. They were controlled by the regions and not the VHSL until 1970. The reason there was only one round in the early years is the big schools did not want to give up their Thanksgiving day games that often would draw ten to twenty thousand fans in Norfolk, Portsmouth, Hampton, Newport News, Richmond and Fairfax County. In 1969 Maggie Walker and Armstrong High of Richmond drew 28,000 for their Thanksgiving weekend game.

The VHSL did not keep track of champions until 1970. The late great Marshall Johnson went back and accumulated the list that you see in the VHSL record book but he only did the larger class. One day I may try to figure out the smaller classes since I do have a lot of the information available whenever I can take the time to organize it.

@Bluefield researcher, I can't thank you enough for sharing the wealth of information you have gathered over the years.  I love local sports history but know just enough to confuse others.

I read about how Marshall Johnson would work relentlessly to gather every score from across the state when he was with the AP....about how he spent his retirement years in the state library poring over microfilm researching Virginia high school sports...about his chronicling the prep history of schools, coaches, and players...about he would painstakingly research and update records after every season.  

It sounds like you, sir, and Mr. Johnson were cut from the same cloth. 

6 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

@Bluefield researcher, I can't thank you enough for sharing the wealth of information you have gathered over the years.  I love local sports history but know just enough to confuse others.

I read about how Marshall Johnson would work relentlessly to gather every score from across the state when he was with the AP....about how he spent his retirement years in the state library poring over microfilm researching Virginia high school sports...about his chronicling the prep history of schools, coaches, and players...about he would painstakingly research and update records after every season.  

It sounds like you, sir, and Mr. Johnson were cut from the same cloth. 

If there was one deceased person that I could sit down and talk with it would be Marshall Johnson.